My husband and I stayed at the Tulemar Bungalows and Villas for three nights last week. We were blown away by the private beach, landscaping and wildlife. We stayed in a one bedroom bungalow #308. Orlando, not our concierge, promised us monkeys and boy did he deliver. Each day, we were visited by a family of monkeys. In addition the slough that lived in the tree next to our bungalow kept us laughing. We have pictures of sunsets that were outstanding.
And while most of the staff were very solicitous and accommodating there were unfortunately
a few clinkers in the group that caused a very good rating instead of an excellent rating. One driver in particular would not drop us off at the point that we designated. Because "he knew best" we wandered around quite a bit before we found our villa again. Our concierge was not available when we needed her, did not check back with us about our needs and had very little enthusiasm. But the thing that most irritated my husband was the fact that they could not change a $20 bill to smaller change upon our arrival because they had "no cash on the grounds". This prevented us from tipping the staff for the first day until we got some cash in town.
While the villas are positioned to view the ocean they are a bit worn and need some sprucing up. Also their were two beds in the bedroom, both doubles. It has been a long time since we have slept in a double bed. I would have appreciated it if there was a single king or even queen bed instead of two doubles. And finally the trail that provided access to the beach was downright treacherous! The staff should walk this and make their own assessment of the dangers of this trail.
The private beach was outstanding, the water was warm and beautiful, and it was never crowded. This alone was worth the price of admission.
Sounds like we hated Tulemar, but really we did think it was very good and we would recommend it to others. Our comments are aimed at the management in hopes that you will make adjustments to staff and other issues so this can be again a five star rated accommodation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tulemar is the premier resort development in Manuel Antonio. Gated and secure, the 33 acre jungle resort is perched on the hillside overlooking the Pacific, but continues down all the way to our own beach. It includes the Tulemar Bungalows, Buena Vista Villas and privately owned villas such as Villa Mot Mot, Casa Panorama, Casa de Frutas, Casa Las Nubes and Villa Kiskadee. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Tulemar Bungalows And Villas
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas Hotel Manuel Antonio National Park
- Tulemar Hotel
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park