“Lovely Stay at Tulemar” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Boston, Massachusetts
“Lovely Stay at Tulemar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a lovely 3 night stay at Tulemar. We stayed one night in Panorama North and two nights in Villa Mot Mot. Overall we had a fantastic time at Tulemar- beautiful grounds, great service, very nice accommodations. Below are our specific thoughts:

Accommodations: The rooms are fantastic! I would highly recommend both Panorama North and Villa Mot Mot for couples, as they are both one bedroom condos. Panorama North was larger (had a large living room, spacious kitchen) then Mot Mot (which was just a large room with a bed, bathroom- but offered a gorgeous and large outdoor deck, including a lounge couch, hammock, table and chairs, a small mini fridge, cook top and stove)- but we enjoyed both equally. We loved having the kitchens in our units so we could prepare breakfast and sometimes lunch as well. We had some ants in our outdoor kitchen in Mot Mot- but that is of course expected as we are surrounded by the lush terrain. Just be careful in Mot Mot to keep all your garbage wrapped up and clean countertops. Both rooms had modern appliances and amenities- and most importantly- very strong AC!

Grounds: The grounds at Tulemar are immaculate. The roads are constantly being cleared of leaves (those poor guys with the leaf blowers have to be out there all day- I hope they are paid well!) and the were were always being trimmed. Tulemar has 3 (maybe even 4, I am not sure) pools- but we only visited two of them. There is a family pool, which was beautiful- and it had a bar that offered food and drink pool. As the name states, this family pool was packed with families during our stay (read: lots of loud children), so we didn't spend much time here. The other pool we visited was nice- quiet and nicely maintained. Our favorite part of the resort was the private beach. It is gorgeous and we loved the fact that it was private so it never felt over crowded. They have an awesome beach bar a few steps from the beach- great drinks and cold beers for a decent price. Big shout out to Jose- the greatest bartender down by the beach! We really appreciated all his hard work. Also, thank you to Julian (I think that was his name.. sorry if I got that wrong)- who set us up with towels and an umbrella everyday. We enjoyed walking down to the beach everyday, but it is a very steep hill- so most people opted for the van. If you like hikes/nature walks, I recommend taking the North Trail to the beach. It is a nice, not to strenuous hike that brings you up high to get a birds eye view of the private beach. The crew does a great job maintaining the trail as well.

Service: Everyone at Tulemar was very friendly and eager to make our stay enjoyable. Prior to our stay, Diego and Vanessa were great about communicating with me via email regarding our visit. As I already mentioned- the guys down by the beach were our favorite. Daniella always whipped me up a nice cocktail by the family pool as well. Bill- who was our main point of contact once we were at the resort- was also really helpful. He gave us a tour around the resort, arranged for us to have groceries waiting in our room upon arrival, and also helped facilitate our moves between rooms. I have read in the some of the other reviews that some people find the staff at Tulemar "too attentive" (wow- never thought people would complain about that!), and while I can see how some people may be bothered by this- I think as long as you are clear with your concierge with the level of service you want, your concierge will completely oblige. After all, they just want your visit to be perfect and memorable! Overall I thought the staff were very helpful and very friendly.

Surrounding Area: Tulemar is nestled right in the heart of Manuel Antonio and a stones throw away from a number of great restaurants. We enjoyed eating out for dinner every night. We loved and highly recommend Agua Azul for great fresh fish. Barba Roha was an incredible place to catch the sunset and we indulged in one of their delicious burgers. If you are looking for a more upscale feel, Restaurant Kappi Kappi was also great- a little pricier, but the food and ambience were well worth it. The market near Tulemar has all the groceries you will need for your stay. Just be aware that it is very pricey- we bought just a few things and spent over $100 in one trip. Don't forget to pack extra sunscreen since we had to buy some there and it ran us $22 for a small bottle.

Other Notes:
- Be aware that all the places to stay in Manuel Antonio are situated on a mountain/hill- so the terrain is very steep. There is a lot of walking involved at the resort, even if you take the shuttle. If you have bad knees/a hard time walking, make sure you get a villa that doesn't require climbing too many stairs.
- The Mahi Mahi sandwich at the beach bar is a must have :)

So in closing- we loved our stay in Tulemar and would absolutely go back- whether it be alone as a couple, a group of friends, or even one day with children! Thank you to everyone there for making it a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Villa Mot Mot has an incredible patio/deck, but it's view is a bit obstructed due to Palm Tree o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JillMSzcz
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hi Jill.....wow.....what a great review on your stay with us in Tulemar......I love the details and the descriptions.......sometimes a change of rooms is the only choice we have to accommodate your dates......as you can see.....it can be a positive.....not a negative.....two great suites....we make the move easy too.....Diego and his concierge team are wonderful...I'm so impressed that you remembered everyone's names in only three days....from the beach to the bartenders.....that puts a smile on their faces......thanks again for staying with us and we'd love to have you back again!

Tulemar Dave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
Leland, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely loved staying here. The room was very comfortable but the best part was having an outdoor living area with a kitchen, hammock, and comfy seating. The best part was the ocean and sunset view every day! The staff was friendly and helpful. We would definitely return again!

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HI bikefan54......so glad you enjoyed your stay in the Mot Mot Hideaway......the outdoor living area is wonderful.......a huge covered deck with living/dining furniture, a hammock and even a full kitchen....plus those great ocean views......thanks for staying with us and we'd love to have you back!

Huntington, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our family thoroughly enjoyed our stay (Buena Vista bungalow). The monkeys visited us on the balcony every morning and the kids were never bored with that!!! The villa itself was very comfortable, well decorated and spacious.
The beach there is beautiful (and pay no mind to the resort being hilly, the hotel has a shuttle van).
Another pro - The people! Everyone on staff is amazing and friendly.

My only issue with this resort was the pools. They have 3 or 4 pools and only 1 has food/drink service during the day. Not a major thing - but to me, the best part of vacation is when everything is convenient.

Otherwise, truly an enjoyable place to visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank K V
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hi KV.....thanks for your review on our Buena Vista Villas in Tulemar......we're pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.......yes....the wildlife is abundant in Tulemar......all three types of monkeys, sloths and exotic birds.....you'll find them all right here......and along our hiking trails too......I appreciate the comment about more food/beverage service at the different pools.....I'll pass that on.....thanks again for booking with me and we hope to see you again!

Wilton, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I highly recommend this property! We have traveled a LOT and the Premium Villas at Tulemar are the NICEST accommodations we have ever seen! The pictures don't do them justice! They are "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" nice! In addition to the villas being insanely beautiful, so were the incredibly manicured grounds!

We were also SPOILED by the attention of Ingrid and Johan who made our trip unforgettable! I met Ingrid on the hotel's Facebook page as she answered my one million questions happily before my arrival. She took it upon herself to make sure we were well taken care of by Johan and herself. With that said, Tulemar treats EVERY client as a VIP and we certainly felt it!

The VIEW from the villas is fabulous (ours in 402 was not the best on the property but it was still nice) and for us the BEST part was the VISIT from the MONKEYS on the porch! Our kids will never forget it!

MY ONLY WARNING is for FAMILIES with CHILDREN UNDER 4 (and or elderly parents) as this lovely hotel is built on a very steep hill because the town of Manuel Antonio is ON A BIG HILL/small mountain itself!! MOST (if not all) hotel properties are very hilly-nothing you can do about that but it is good to know ahead of time! Walking around the property is very challenging BUT they do offer shuttle service so that can make it work.

Also you should know that the family pool is DEEP! Our 9 year old could not touch the ground but they still loved it! Just a warning for kids that can't swim yet! However, it is a beautiful pool with a bar & grill so it's great for families, just a warning for the depth of the pool!

Also, the premium villas are two stories (bedrooms downstairs) with lots of stairs which would have been a concern for me when I had toddlers. Also, the balcony has a huge drop off and an open railing system (which made me nervous with my 5 year old) but as soon as I expressed concern two guys were there to install a safety mesh netting over the railing. The fastest response I've ever seen to any hotel issue!

If you do have children I recommend you get ABBY to babysit and go out for a child free evening out! Our kids had a blast with her and we loved our date night!
I ALWAYS include warnings with my reviews because I like people to KNOW EVERYTHING and as a mom I think it is important to know safety issues. With that said, the only REAL WARNING about this property is that it will SPOIL YOU!! Can't imagine ever being impressed by a hotel room after staying in one of their premium villas! And I'm sure that all customer service will appear poor next to what we experienced with Ingrid and Johan!

Room Tip: Get a PREMIUM VILLA! It is worth every penny!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrea T
Hi Andrea.....thanks for the great review and all of the helpful information for the "moms" out there......I'm sure it is appreciated........the Buena Vista 2 Premium Bedroom Villas are amazing....from the ocean views....to the full kitchens and the jacuzzi on the deck.....to the indoor/outdoor showers in each of the bathrooms......the "wow" factor in everywhere you look.....our guests LOVE them....and yes.....since they are two and three stories....there are many steps, stairs and balconies.......and thanks for the kind words on our staff as well......we appreciate you booking with us and would love to have you with us again!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We booked thru Dave and had an amazing vacation. The grounds are immaculate and brimming with flora and fauna (exotic birds, capuchin monkeys, sloths, etc.). And there is a private beach just a short walk downhill that was lovely. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, and was always available to arrange any tour or travel.....our concierge Chris was outstanding.

Chris R.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi Chris.....thanks for the great review on your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows.....we loved having you with us......we're glad you enjoyed the wildlife.....our beach......and your personal concierge, Chris......he really can make the trip special for you.....thanks for booking with me and we hope to see you again!

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Everything about Tulemar Bungalows and Villas was outstanding! We planned a 6 day/5 night honeymoon at this lovely destination and underestimated how beautiful the property was and how much wildlife could be found just on the premises. My husband, a wild-life lover, easily spotted 2-toed and 3-toed sloths and 3 different species of monkeys (willingly playing above our bungalows daily). This was more than we saw at the Manuel Antonio national park! The entire staff and our concierge, Chris, were very helpful and honest. We stayed in just the 2 queen bed bungalow that met our needs perfectly...although knowing we'll be back, we can't wait to stay in some of the other luxury bungalows/villas! Thanks for all your help arranging the perfect stay, our many excursions, and recommendations for food :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erica2213
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Hi Erica.......we loved having you with us for your honeymoon......we're so glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows.......I know your husband enjoyed finding all the wildlife........the monkeys....the sloths.....the exotic birds......Tulemar is a very special place........and we are so happy to share it with the animals and birds.......thanks for your kind remarks about Chris too.....your personal concierge.....and just let me know when you are ready to return.....we'll help you choose a great villa!

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We just returned late last night from a fantastic stay at Tulemar! First, we wouldn't have been able to stay at all, if not for Emily. It was a busy week at Tulemar and a few people in reservations said it was booked back when we were trying make reservations. I kept trying, and eventually chatted with Emily who figured out how to make it work but that we would have to change rooms during our short stay. This may sound like work to some, however, we were excited to see our new room each time. My 15 year old daughter especially liked this part. It didn't hurt that our first room #112 had a AMAZING view....our second room #118 (a little more pricey) also had an awesome view, balcony AND jacuzzi tub, and our last room #308 had a nice view, balcony and hammock (which she used often)!!!! I think our favorite was #118!!!! Our concierge, Chris made each move as seamless as possible. The rooms were ready ahead of schedule and we never felt inconvenienced. Chris was also so kind and helpful and had great recommendations for dinner. We just fell in love with Cafe Milagro and had most of our meals there...every day for breakfast (the banana pancakes are delicious!), lunch and a few dinners too. I think my daughter became addicted to their Queppochino's!!!!! The pools were all refreshing, the beach was beautiful and relaxing. The resort was full, but you would never know that from the pools and beach. Always chairs available, never felt crowded. I agree with another reviewer regarding more food, drinks, activities at the pools.....especially at night. It seemed the lunch/drink areas were closed while we were there. The wildlife on the property was also amazing. We saw monkeys, sloths, birds, squirrels, etc., right at Tulemar. We think a monkey came on our balcony while we were at the pool one day and threw our stuff around and dropped a shoe and cushion off the balcony. We had a fantastic guide, Johan Chaves, for a tour of Manuel Antonio, however, it was a long hot day and the park is kind of crowded. It moves at a slow pace and I would recommend bringing snacks/lunch and water. I'm glad we went to the park, but I prefer to stay right at Tulemar and enjoy the wildlife right off of our balcony!!!! Dave was also so nice to chat with in the office. Overall, thank you for an enjoyable stay and making our first visit to Costa Rica a memorable one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lulu1211
Hi Lulu1211.....thanks for the wonderful review on your stay in Tulemar.......we appreciate the remarks on Emily......even though we all handle reservations and guest services......Emily's main focus are reservations.....on line chats.....and phone inquiries......she really knows all the properties and helps everyone find exactly the right accommodations for their dates.....even if it does mean a move or two or three.....and thanks for pointing out that the move was easy and fun....experiencing three different rooms......Chris made sure everything worked smoothly......yes....we have lots of wildlife at Tulemar.......and those monkeys can be mischievous......thanks for staying with us and we'd love to have you back again!