“La Mariposa - Great view over-looking Pacific Ocean and Infinity Pools!”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed August 2, 2010

If you are good with going to the beach once a day, stay 5 mns. up the mountain from the park / beaches.The elevation makes a great view over the ocean. From La Mariposa, it is a 5-minute walk to other bars, restaurants, and resort restaurants that over-look the ocean. Some other restaurants are very affordable.
The area is actually in between Manuel Antonio National Park and the city of Quepos. However, it is much closer to Manuel Antonio Park; the park is where the gorgeous beaches are. From the resort, it is only a 50-cent short bus ride to the park entrance, an $8 cab ride, a free shuttle offered by La Mariposa, or you can take a 20-minute walk to the park.
My husband and I stayed at La Mariposa in July 2008. When we went back to Manuel Antonio in July 2010, we could not afford La Mariposa, but we spent time at their infinity pool and pool bar. When swimming in one of the two infinity pools, it appears that the water is flowing into the Pacific ocean.
When staying at La Mariposa, we got one of their stand-alone cottages. They are wonderful for nature-lovers. A sloth hung out in a tree right off our balcony all night. A gorgeous jungle and ocean back-drop surrounds the property!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carrie409

Reviewed August 1, 2010

This hotel is phenomenal. levels above the last six hotels I have stayed at. really an oasis in a wonderful location. this morning I woke up to the sunrise, ate a great breakfast, went surfing all day on the beach which is a two minute drive away. came back and enjoyed one of the four pools. i choose the swim up bar pool today, with an infinity edge and views of the ocean. truly amazing

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I have been one of the greatest trips i can remember, and most of it is courtesy of this hotel. The view is something that you can honestly not describe, with monkeys visiting you on a daily basis, and the ocean right out your front door. The hotel staff were beyond belief, constantly there to support me and my every need. They were knowledgable about just about everything, and were willing to help me achieve all the goals i had in my group tour, including surfing, parasailing, and every other possible adventure. They were patient with my large group, and were speedy in there service (which is a rare thing when traveling with 30 people) Plus the Food was AMAZING! (i ask you, if you do come to please try strawberry daiquiri, best one i have ever had). Further more, our rooms were one of the most exceptional rooms i have been at, with comfortable beds, hot water, and SPACE! (very difficult to find in the surrounding hotels)
I can not express how pleased i was with this hotels, Specifically the service and the view. Both amazing. My whole hearted recommendation behind this hotel, it is one that is literally heaven on a hill - i would recommend this place here in a heart beat.
Kayla
ps - it has a infinity pool - what more could you ask for?

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Great service better place, view looking over magnificent beach and forrest. walking distance from great beach. Waking up looking out from the balcony is breathtaking, monkeys jumping over our heads couldn't ask for any more. Infinity pool looks out over the beach nothing could be better. Hotel staff is very accommodating service is great, room is replenished and beautifully cleaned every day. I would highly recommend this to any traveler.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Infinity pools, poolside bars, most amazing view!!! Easy beach access, hotel staff always available, monkeys outside the rooms, fabulous weather.

Overall beautiful location! Great spots for families, friends, groups - anyone! Would definitely return here. Definitely the best hotel of the 5 week trip! Heavenly view, can't help but stare. Almost every location provides a drop dead gorgeous look at scenery and landscape.

The whole town of Manuel Antonio is a great tourist location. Parasailing, surfing, banana boating, wakeboarding, waterskiing, sailing, ATVs all available minutes from the hotel! Easy to get around!

Could not say better things, I would return to stay here in a heartbeat and recommend this to everyone at home!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We booked from expedia.com and ended up with a room that had a picture perfect view of the national park. Couldn't have picked a better room. Very spacious and comfortable enough to cause us to extend our stay by one night -- and the front desk was very accommodating.

Daniel, at the front desk, was also a big help in booking all of our activities and making good recommendations. Overall the staff provided good, courteous, gracious service.

We had dinner at the restaurant one night. Bad idea. Stay away.

The major flaw here was that their "hot tub" is not, according to them, a "hot" tub. In fact, it was the same temp as the pool. We were here in July, and would have expected it the air to be warm. But the near-constant cloud cover lead to some cool-er afternoons and evenings -- and after a day of hiking, or zip-lining, or traipsing through the mud at Villa Vanilla, we were longing for a warm hot tub to help us wind down and relax. Imagine our surprise that first night when we stepped into the cool pool that was curiously shaped like a hot tub.

So we asked the staff if they could turn up the temp. One person told us it was not a hot tub, it was a kids pool. Another told us it was solar heated -- no sun, no heat. Another told us they were trying to be "green." Yet another told us they were trying to find a way to get it heated up. I have no idea what the true story is...but for the duration of our stay it was uncomfortably cool.

Comically, when we got home we called and asked if the hotel had a hot tub. The answer: "Yes, absolutely." Hmmmm....

It's a shame. As silly as it sounds, this really detracted from our stay and would make me think twice before returning. My guess is they're trying to save a few colones by not heating the tub. Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank thebigideaguy
Reviewed July 27, 2010

i booked this hotel because i heard a lot of good comments, but i will have to check with my friends apparently they have big wallets and low standards

i made a reservation via orbitz, and made sure i paid extra for internet since this was a business trip, and i wanted a nice view, when i got to the hotel they informed me that i had another type of room than the one i booked and the reason was their occupancy was higher than expected, i asked if the new room had internet access and then they had to put me back to the room i booked, because the new room did not have internet.

the staff at the hotel is rude, that is the word to describe it, no other word, and i am not sure, but there is no manager at the hotel, no f&b manager either, for my whole stay aall i saw was front desk clerks and waiters.

their included breakfast is pretty basic, as for all things that are included, their a la carte menu is good, expensive but good

so once i got to my room, my surprise is that the internet does not work, i call the front desk and they tell me that they only have 2 antenas at the lobby and that i should try in the balcony, "it usually works better there" they said.

my last day i asked for a extended check out, and they said no, room assignation cannot be flexible, and your room is assigned!, so what happened when they arbitrarily reassigned my room at the check in?

for the last i can live with a lot of things, but not dirty rooms!!! the bathroom is full of fungus!! , for 200+ usd rates one could at least expect a clean room + bathroom don't you think?

for the rate this guys charge there are plenty of other hotels in the area that will host you with better rooms, better service and cleanliness!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Giesemann
LaMariposaHotel, General Manager at La Mariposa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Dear Valued Customer,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comment. Here at La Mariposa we strive every day to provide our guest with the very best hotel experience possible. I´m disappointed to learn that your stay was not that. As for the bathroom in the room you stayed in, we have made sure the problem has been taken care of.
In reference to your accommodations, we noticed that you booked a Double Ocean View room so; we happily free upgraded the reservation to the Premier Ocean View room (top category) thinking in your comfort. At the time of your arrival there were actually three people in your party so we had to take the necessary actions to accommodate your needs.
La Mariposa also provides to all our guests Free WIFI Internet service throughout the common areas and by cable in some of our rooms.
On behalf of our management team and our friendly staff, I thank you for your feedback, comments and suggestions.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.
Carlos Romero