“Breathtaking views”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed 3 nights at La Mariposa with a friend. We had reserved and paid for a garden room but were upgraded to a partial ocean view. We were in room 12 and the view of Manuel Antonio National Park and the beach below were gorgeous. The hotel itself is very pleasant to walk around and the infinity pool with ocean views is a perfect place to watch the sunset.

The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and made an effort to remember us by name, especially Byron. They helped book a catamaran tour for us and provided many restaurant recommendations.

I would absolutely stay at La Mariposa if I return to Manuel Antonio.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patricia P

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We are staying at the hotel now on the top floor. Last night, during a typical downpour, we arrived back home to 1/2 the room covered with water. The front desk was closed so we cleaned up as best we could.

In the morning, I informed the front desk. They informed me this was typical and I shouldn't expect anyone to be there later at night to help. He didn't seem to care or understand what the problem was.

Fortunately, we did not have anything damaged but this is not the attitude I expected. Keep your things off the floor.

Therefore, know the rooms may flood, even on the top floor, and no one will be there to help if it's during the night. Also, no one will understand why your room flooding is a problem for you or care. Nothing like "I'm sorry this happened."

Otherwise, awesome location, pool and view. Very spacious rooms. No in room refrigerators though.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Chicagocjl
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Large spacious room with amazing views from your private balcony, it felt like an apartment. The rooms are furnished with local and American home wares, up market but not high end luxury. This and the views from your balcony is what makes this Colonial style Hotel so enjoyable. Great place to arrive for your first stop in Costa Rica. The views from the restaurant and pool are equally outstanding! Perfectly located to spending the day at the beaches at the national park or exploring other nearby restaurants. The staff were professional and I especially loved the smell from the near by Ylang Ylang tree in the restaurant which was a five star dining experience.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashleigh C
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time at Hotel Mariposa!! We had the best room ever (3rd floor corner room) with a amazing breathtaking view! Nice, clean rooms with a comfortable bed. Pool (with wetbar) and restaurant area are perfect (again: perfect ocean view, beautiful trees n plants) and the staff was superfriendly and helpful! Hope we'll go there again some time!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Geeskew
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed here during the week of our anniversary. We LOVED it. We stayed in one of the Premier Ocean View rooms. WOW. The view was amazing (see the photos I uploaded). The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Not only is the hotel fantastic, so is its location. I wouldn't think of staying in Quepos or Jaco after staying up on the mountain-side in the town of Manuel Antonio. There are plenty of terrific places to eat all within minutes (most are walking distance too).
The breakfast that is included with your stay is tremendous. We ate there every morning at their open air dining room and enjoyed the breathtaking 180* view of the coastline.
We had dinner there one night, it was ok. It was probably the most expensive meal we had - and probably my least favorite. It was still decent food though, it just didn't compare to our other meals/experiences. Be aware, they'll charge you 23* on all F&B tabs. (13* tax + 10* service fee)
Another tip: I would suggest picking up some beer at the corner store and just taking that to the pool instead of paying $5/beer.
Also, keep an eye out for wildlife. We saw 2 different species of monkeys, toucans, macaws, iguanas and sloths while on the hotel property.

This hotel far exceeded my expectations. I will definitely go back!

On last thought: You can walk down a really steep gravel road to a remote beach with only a few surfers and the occasional passer by. It's worth the effort if you don't mind the exercise. (Way better than the public beach were you get harassed constantly to rent or buy something.) The folks at the front desk can explain how to get there. Do it. And take your camera... you'll want to capture this experience.

Room Tip: I will go back to this hotel again. And when I do, I'll splurge for the Premier room again. Th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom S
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I spent four nights at Hotel La Mariposa at the very beginning of trip to Costa Rica. This is one of the best locations to stay in the Manuel Antonio area. The views are breathtaking from both the private balconies in the rooms (we were given a free upgrade to a full ocean view room plus early check in), the gorgeous infinity pool, pool bar, and the restaurant. On top of that, some of the best places to eat and hang out are only steps away (check out Cafe Milagro for nightly live music or the famous Agua Azul, next to the hotel). A local bus frequently runs from Quepos down to Manuel Antonio National Park on a road right by the hotel and is a convenient way to get to both for less than $1. Finally we spotted tons of wildlife at the hotel - monkeys, toucans, and iguanas. The rooms themselves were a bit dated and our shower only had cold water. However, I would still consider going back based on the location, the views and the highly attentive staff.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kait M
Reviewed May 13, 2014

La Maripose is a beautiful colonial style hotel with all modern amenities. All or most rooms afford stunning vistas of the coast and the azure ocean beyond. They also have private balconies or terraces where one can easily spend several hours lazing away if disinclined to venture out. The rooms are also furnished with charming local (looking) hand carved wooden furniture which perfectly complement the colonial ambience. An elaborate breakfast spread with Continental, American and local offerings in a partly covered terrace is included in the tariff. The hotel also arranges competitively priced tours to local attractions and the staff are friendly and forthcoming with valuable advice. I would have given it a perfect 5 stars had our room air-conditioner not leaked on the second morning, flooding a part of our room and some of our luggage. At ~$250 a night I hope the management will take care of the problem soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family