“Beautiful Hotel with the Best Sunset Views in Manuel Antionio”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Hotel with the Best Sunset Views in Manuel Antionio”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Hotel La Mariposa is a beautiful hotel with the most amazing sunset views in Manuel Antonio. The rooms are all air conditioned and clean. We ended up with a more modern room that had nice views but the lighting was intrusive and garish. I would reserve one of the older rooms which I think had more character with better lighting. The free breakfast was good. The pool was beautiful. Overall, it was a good experience.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Korean first
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We went for lunch after trekking through the National Park as it was recommended to us by a couple from Brazil. We had never been before so did not know what to expect.

Wow!! What a fantastic panoramic view as soon as you walk up the steps to the hotel lobby, We were in awe.
Drinks were served and our lunch was delightful. The very serene music playing and we could not take our eyes off the view! Just sensational. Next time I come back to Manuel Antonio, I will definitely come back here. The staff were very helpful, attentive and smiley!

I have not stayed here, but would certainly like too.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bastrop, Louisiana
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The view from the infinity pool is spectacular and it is clean and beautiful. Toucans and monkeys and lots of other wildlife. It would have been absolutely wonderful if I did not have to go back to that room full of bugs. Tiny little bugs that were all over the place, including the restaurant tables, little black flies in the room that bit, and some sort of flying ant that I caught crawling across my face after the lights were out. Ugh! The door had 2 inches of space underneath it that we stuffed a towel underneath at night in hopes of slowing the invaders. We did not have hot water one of the 3 nights we were there. Towels were small and worn. Food was so-so. Wait staff had a lot of new people so was on par with food. Would have been nice to have a bedside lamp, a coffee pot, and a refrigerator in the room. Also some sort of shelf or something to hold things in the shower. The ice machine was a LONG hike from the room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Arborlady
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

We were here ten years ago, and loved it then. We considered staying at a few other places this time now that we have young kids. However I am SO glad we didn't. We have seen the others we considered and nothing can compare to La Mariposa. It's excellent and the views are by far the best in Manuel Antonio. We stayed in a premier oceanview room and - WOW. We had a wall of windows overlooking the ocean. Better than in the pictures online. My only 2 issues with the hotel is that the restaurant is overpriced and if you want your laundry done, they charge you per piece which adds up fast! I am usually one to re-wear items while on a beach vaca however here that wasn't possible due to the heat and hiking in the rainforest. Overall though, this is the best hotel in the area. Highly HIGHLY recommend!!!!

Stayed January 2014
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Walking into the lobby, you can't help but be taken aback by the incredible view. It truly is indescribable and words do it a disservice. We got a free upgrade to Room 9, and the views - ugh, I can't do them a service. I woke up at 5:45 every morning just to watch the sunrise over the park. Not only that but the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the excursions they helped set up were top rate, and the location was perfect. Close to amazing little eateries and a nice 15-20 minute stroll down to an amazing beach. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Newman G
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 9, 2014

a beautiful property, centrally located in Manuel Antonio, a view above and beyond description, comfortably appointed rooms with sizable balconies, generous breakfasts, an inviting infinity pool, a helpful, pleasant, efficient staff- a request to fix a problem in-room safe was attended to and solved within minutes, transportation arrangements were effortlessly made. If I had to complain about something, it would be a few guests who seemed to act "entitled" who had not adopted a pura vida attitude; and the beach towels could use updating- not a big deal. I can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: room 52 felt like the VIP room, but I'm sure all the rooms have their advantages- you will jump...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandiegorumor
Seattle
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I will agree with many reviewers that Hotel La Mariposa has incredible views. Our room opened up to this beautiful balcony with amazing views of Manuel Antonio's Beach. It really was spectacular. Honestly, it seemed like most of the rooms had nice views.

The grounds were clean and beautiful. Our room was HUGE! I did like the size a lot because we were able to spread out. It is true that rooms can use some upgrading, but overall they were nice, I wouldn't agree with other reviews that they are run down. The rooms did not have refrigerators and I think they should. They did have a safe. On more than one night there wasn't hot water. This is the main reason I am not giving the hotel 5 stars. I understand that many people are going to take showers in the evening, but even after waiting 3 hours for the tanks to heat up we still only had lukewarm water. Costa Rica is not a third world county so I was surprised to see that the hotel didn't have enough hot water for its guests. I was told that this was the first time this had ever happened at the hotel, but I find that hard to believe. I have traveled a lot to third world countries and have experienced this, but wasn't expecting it here.

The Wifi was terrible. Out of the 4 days there I was really only able to get on one day long enough to do what I needed. The first day there the Wifi was completely down.

The staff was very friendly at check in and answered all our questions regarding tours.

The breakfast was good, especially the made to order eggs. Pancakes were also made fresh which was nice to see. Each day they offered gallo pinto which is a typical Costa Rican dish of rice and means. They also offered two other hot items which changed each day. I would have liked to see potato picadillo which is another Costa Rican dish instead of hash browns. I do think the food catered to an "American" breakfast which I think is fine. I love pancakes which my daughter was happy to have too, but I also think it would be great if a few more Costa Rican dishes were included as well.

The food on the bar menu was okay. Again, I felt it lacked in things such as chicken and rice, picadillo, platanos maduros, fish tacos...... the quesadilla and ham and cheese sandwich were good. The bar drinks were tasty, but you could barley taste the alcohol and they were expensive. I recommend bringing some of your own to top them off.

Our stay was over New Year's and we were very disappointed that the hotel did not throw a New Year's Party. It did offer a dinner, but that was it. No music or party. It was a very quiet night. I understand that some guests like it to be quiet, but on an occasion such as New Year's I believe that its an exception and a hotel such as Hotel La Mariposa should have offered a special event.

The pools were very nice and SUPER clean, I loved that! There was a good amount of sunny and shaded areas which was nice to see. I love being in the sun, but my husband doesn't so we were able to find spots where we were still together and happy. I felt that the bar staff did not walk around enough to take drink or food orders.

Around the grounds we saw several iguanas. They are skittish so please take pictures from afar. We did get to see monkeys at the hotel which was VERY cool. They actually come pretty close to you. It was during the morning hours. I recommend keeping your doors closed. If a monkey gets in your room it would not be good. Also there are gecko lizards everywhere at night!!!

The hotel does offer a shuttle to the beach.

Not far from the hotel (only a few mins) there is a super market, lots of restaurants, and a frozen yogurt place. We ate at Victoria's which was an Italian restaurant just for change. The food was very good. Also the frozen yogurt place was yummy.

If you go to the beach there are men selling shaved ice. They are not the American type. They are MUCH better!! Make sure to get one. They pour sweetened condensed milk on it and its DELICIOUS!!!

We took a tour to Manuel Antonio National Park. I highly recommend going with a guide. They can spot all the small animals such as bats and lizards. Our guide even spotted a porcupine. It was incredible. You will not leave the park without seeing a TON of wildlife. The ocean water is clam, clean, and warm. Make sure to take your bathing suit for a swim.

Overall I would say the hotel was nice and comfortable. Although, there are little things here and there that can be improved as there are in many hotels I do think this is a great place to stay and would again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family