“The Service is the Cherry on Top”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is a beautiful place to stay in Manuel Antonio, with an amazing pool, clean and elegant rooms, a great restaurant and did I say an amazing pool? Watching the sunset with a pina colada while swimming in the pool was spectacular. The included breakfast was amazing, too.

The best part of our stay, though, was definitely the service. I have to give a shout out to Johannes for letting us take our pick of available rooms and giving us a great rate. Richy is a very pleasant maintenance worker who went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. Maria is a bright and cheery spirit. Sebastian is adorable and so very polite. Thanks as well to the rest of the staff for providing exceptional guest service, including Melina at the gate, Christian at the bar, Stevan and Daniel at reception and Luis in the restaurant. Those are just the ones I can remember, and the rest are just as great, I'm certain.

Thank you!!!! We'll be back and ready to live la pura vida de nuevo.
Valarie (Valeria & Raquel de Colorado)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Valarie W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,469)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was concerned about the geckos in the room after reading one of reviews but the thought of a spectacular view persuaded me to book it anyways. It turned out to be a great decision because we did not see one single gecko in our room during the 3 days we were there; instead, we were treated to a memorable view. Our room (#6) is one of a few older villa style buildings that offers a huge balcony with full 180 degree view of the ocean. Although the unit is sparsely furnished with carved Costa Rican style furniture, the bed is a bit firm and the bathroom though clean is outdated, the room is spacious and it feels authentic …that you’re in Costa Rica and not some American chain hotel. The only criticism is there is no dresser to provide storage despite the huge room size. Free wifi and buffet breakfast were included in the room rate. There are a couple of good restaurants nearby (turn right at the hotel gate)- Cafe Milagro and next to it El gato? Fish and Chips.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank timbuk2Toronto
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Had our last dinner in Manual Antonio at the La Mariposa restaurant La Papillon as we thought it would be a special place. We were not staying at the hotel and we did not have a reservation. We arrived just after sunset so many people were leaving. There were several tables open in the uncovered section of the dining area but we were given a choice of 2 2-tops at the back of the seating area under cover and with fluorescent lights. The service was fine, the Mai Tais too sweet and frothy (and in plastic glasses), the appetizers OK and the main course really not very good. My husband had Pacific Lobster and I had Linguine with Shrimp. Both nothing special at all. The prices were relatively high for what we got. Would not recommend for dinner - maybe drinks and an appetizer as the view is outstanding. Make reservations to get a good seat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marsha W
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Let's start with the views, they are amazing. Great sweeping views of the Pacific and the coastline including Manuel Antonio National Park. The views and the location of this hotel are what makes this place special. No matter where on the property you are, the view is always great.

The staff also was great at La Mariposa. They went above and beyond what I could have expected. They did several favors for me that really helped enhance my stay here. An example of this is that I brought a bottle of wine with me, and the staff brought to my room a wine opener and a bucket of ice that I could chill the wine in. I also had a cigar that needed to be cut, and again the staff immediately came through for me. They were great all around. I can't say enough good things about them.

The grounds of the place are beautiful. They had a couple of infinity pools that blend in with the blue ocean in the background. The pools also had swim up bars. The entire hotel is an open air facility this way you don't lose the view no matter where you are. It was nice to eat breakfast and be looking down on the Pacific.

The room was very good but not excellent. The balcony was great however. The air conditioning worked very well, and the room was always clean. My room was on the top floor which made the views even better, but it did require us to walk up several steep flights of stairs. This hotel does not have an elevator, so keep that in mind. You also have to walk up a steep hill to get to the hotel if you are walking to/from restaurants. So combine the walk up the hill with the steep steps and you get quite a workout. Ask for a low floor if you are not capable or willing to climb the steep steps up to your room.

I really enjoyed my stay at La Mariposa, and I would definitely return to this place.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ron-from-NY
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our family and friends joined us for a week at this fabulous hotel and we couldn't have asked for a better vacation!!
Stevan, Manfred, Johannes and the rest of the staff went out of their way to provide the best service to all of us and we thank them.
The views overlooking the ocean and park are still lingering in our heads, wishing we were still there. Sunsets were amazing each night. We miss the smell of Jasmine right outside our room.
Funny to watch the local monkeys playing each morning and night!
Caught massive sail fish and mahi with the fabulous crew of the Moon Walker and had a blast kayaking and exploring w/ Roy at Mangrove Safari tours!!!
Great location w/ plenty of restaurants and entertainment, w/in walking distance.
Can't wait to return again next year!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Deborah K
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The restaurant, bar and pools also had amazing views. The staff was very accomodating. The only thing lacking was reading lights by the bed. We only ate at the restaurant when we ran out of good places to eat within walking distance as we were tired of paying for taxis. We were here 2 nights.

Room Tip: Corner room for the most view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne H
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for one night and wished we could have stayed longer. We had exceptional sea views from our room. The pool and jacuzzi both overlook the sea and so does the restaurant which serves very good food. The meal we had here was the best of our trip. A friend recommended this hotel to us and it was great advice. The flowers around the hotel were beautiful and the whole place was very well cared for. Staff were friendly and helpful. We'd come back.

• Stayed: January 2013