“This Place Rates My First Review!”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My first trip tp CR so I checked the areas first and selected Manuel Antonio since I didn't want to get too much in the touristy areas but enough to not be too rustic. The hotel was as nice at the pictures and our room was clean and spacious. Spectacular views from our room and the hotel gorunds. All the staff was very helpful and friendly. I don't know if CR is for me, but definitely this hotel is. To me a perfect place in a perfect setting.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms left of the main building.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Mariposa Hotel

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband surprised me with a trip to Costa Rica for our honeymoon. We stayed at La Mariposa and it was amazing!!! When we arrived Steven greeted us and from that moment on we were treated like royalty! The service is the best we have ever received and we have traveled to some amazing places. The views were incredible. The restaurant had great food. It was one of the best trips we have ever been on and we will be going back very soon!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank LogansMom02
Reviewed December 1, 2012

When I saw guests walking around with smiles on their faces, I knew we found the right place. Very accommodating front desk staff; offered us a room with amazing views of the ocean/bay - everything we were looking for: simple, clean, comfortable, tropical feel, quiet, easily accessed. Well maintained property, though the AC in our room was dripping water to the floor (puddling, which we let maintenance know about and 'fixed' immediately). Welcoming "cocktail" a nice treat at sunset by the pools with other guests, though it lacked any rum or spirit which I had added. Breakfast (included with overnight stay) excellent, with nice choices; and they served early, allowing us to be our in time for our morning tour of the park. My only frustration was the free wifi, which I found lacking in strength. Clearly I should have not even bothered with computer or wifi phone in this paradise setting, but I like to be connected. I'd return to this hotel perched up on the hill anytime, and certainly refer any traveler/friend to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view (maybe they are all this way). With jungle location, I expect any room will offe...
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The hotel has a charm that only time and age can develop. It carries the expensive cost of maintenance delivered by the soft sounds of drills and hammers in the hands of staff who have been with the hotel almost as long as it has been standing. It's a monument to history and time itself, where if it weren't for the precious monkeys running about stealing bananas, you might get lost in paradise and your time would stand still. Fortunately, there's a youthful ignorance that pushes the birds to soar close to the Mariposa, yet never land, so that guests can enjoy the beauty and grace of large birds in flight.

Room Tip: The spiral staircases in the main building are like climbing a ship itself for a grounded widow. The...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I turned 50 in February and was supposed to meet other friends in Costa Rica. They were staying at Hotel Si Como No, but I planned things too late and ended up booking a reservation at La Mariposa instead. I was flying from Denver to San Jose and, much to my surprise, the gate agent idiots that are now employees at Frontier Airlines in Denver (I used to like them years ago) said my passport was not in a proper condition to fly to Costa Rica and unilaterally made the decision that I would not be allowed to fly. I was flabbergasted as I'd been to Mexico twice in the last two years and my passport was about 9 years old - near the 10 year limit, but what IS a 10 year old passport supposed to look like - brand new?! Geez! I didn't end up going and you may have seen the TV segment about this that my sister caused to happen when she emailed a reporter at 9 News about the situation. Anyway, I later made an attempt to recover my losses because you typically pay everything in advance before traveling to CR. In fairness to Frontier, they refunded my ticket after a lawyer friend helped me word a carefully word a complaint letter. Since I had to prepay the hotel, if figured there was no way they would budge since they already had my money. Instead, they not only let me use the days that I had already paid for at a later time, but gave me a complimentary free night! In addition, I had to have the best room in the place. My partner and I just visited in early November 2012. I was a little apprehensive because the weather for weeks said there were thunderstorms everyday. While it rained heavily a few times we were there it was predominantly sunny. And we basically had the pool and dining areas to ourselves. Based on what the employees said things would be like during the "high season" months, I would highly recommend that tourists consider November trips when it's less busy. Our trip couldn't have been better and the La Mariposa employees were uniformly awesome!!! Thank you SO MUCH La Mariposa!!!!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This open air terraced restaurant is a hidden gem! You have no idea of the view until you walk into the restaurant and .... WOW! Ocean as far as you can see, whales swimming by and infinity pools everywhere! The staff are very helpful and the food was good (Mahi Mahi fish sandwich, homemade soup, burgers -everyone enjoyed the food). We felt like celebrities sitting on the edge of the world watching nature from our own private paradise. (We were the only people in the restaurant at 3pm in the afternoon). This has to be one of the nicest views on this part of the island. Prices are not outrageous and the grounds are well maintained. I would definitely stay here if visiting again. We were not rushed in any way and the staff offered to take pictures for us. If you are looking for a romantic dinner location to watch the sun set - this is the place. Not far from Manuel Antonio National Park - it is a great spot for lunch after a long day hiking and swimming.

Room Tip: If you call to make a dinner reservation insist on a table near the edge so your view is not obstruc...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I spent one week at Hotel La Mariposa and we would definitely go back there again. This hotel offers a spectacular view of the ocean, surrounding jungle and mountains in the distance. There is a nice small beach very close to the hotel. Kayaks and snorkeling gear are available to rent. Drive your car to the bottom of the road and then take a short walk to the beach. Don't forget to bring drinks and snacks. Activities in Manuel Antonio include horseback riding, white water rafting (Rainy Season), jungle canopy tours/zip lines, sport fishing, surfing, mangrove tours, etc. You will not run out of things to do. Several good restaurants in Manuel Antonio, but there is also a good one in Quepos. Maria can assist you with excursions of all kinds and will offer suggestions for restaurants. Great vacation spot.

Room Tip: The partial ocean view/jungle view rooms are very nice with a king sized bed and an additional full...
1  Thank shawn g