“Incredible views, needs attention to the little things”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed November 12, 2012

So, I am giving this property 5 stars with the disclaimer that the view really carries it all! Honestly, my only complaints are a few "attention to detail" type things. I will start with amazing: The VIEW! We were in room 8. Separate from the main building, there is a hot tub on the very private balcony with an incredible view (its a wonder we left the room at all)!! The water was super hot (unlike the jacuzzi in the pool area). During the rainy season, this was amazing! Under cover when raining, hot water, private, spectacular view; what more could you ask for! The room was spacious (huge actually) and clean. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The servers in the restaurant were especially nice. The included breakfast was a great value and delicious. Ice available in the lobby 24 hrs. (a nicety we are used to in the States, but not always available elsewhere). Walkable to restaurants and the bus stop without being on the main thoroughfare.
Here's what needs some attention: The shower had no water pressure, probably partly due to the fact that there was constant drip that kept me awake some nights (should have mentioned to mgmt., but didn't). Looking back, I should've. I'm sure they would have taken care of it. The drinks at the bar are a little pricey. OK, they do have an amazing view, but we are not in the US or Europe (where you expect pricey hotel drinks). Once you added tax and tip a simple rum and sprite would cost around $10. The pools were ice cold, but we were there at the end of the rainy season so that's to be expected. I would imagine it's delightful in the hot season. My only REAL complaint: The pillows felt like I was sleeping on a bag of socks!! Management, please, please invest in some good pillows!! I have no complaints about the bed, but the pillows were terrible. Oh, and no alarm clock or any clock in the room. All in all, we had a fabulous stay here.

Room Tip: The building away from the main hotel boasts some great views and a little more privacy it seemed (R...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Mariposa Hotel

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We enjoyed a romantic meal at La Mariposa that was surprisingly inexpensive. Although we did not stay at the hotel, the dining experience is a memory I will never forget. The view is incredible and will take your breath away. The scenic view of the mountains, coastline and sunset are a rewarding combination that will leave you speechless.

We shared a bottle of champagne, shrimp stuffed avocado salad, lobster bisque, gorgonzola pasta and filet mignon. Some menu options were not available because we were not in the busy season, but that is a nice trade off considering we had the entire restaurant to ourselves!

Do yourself a favor and make a reservation about 45 minutes before sunset. You're welcome.

Room Tip: I only dined at the restaurant and anyone who visits Manuel Antonio without a meal here is doing the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I know I say this a lot in my reviews, but this view is unreal. I have been walking by this tucked back place for years.. and never thought to walk up the hill to venture in. The view, the pool, the swim up bar, the service and the food are out of this world. Lunch is affordable. So if you are on a budget visit the hotel for lunch and check it out. I bet you will be returning and spending a few nights in this wonderful spot!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dogsandcatsrmylife
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The view from La Mariposa is unmatched in all of Manuel Antonio! Just GORGEOUS!!!! We LOVED the monkeys too!!!!! They put on a great show leaping from the roof, off balconies and jumping from tree to tree! Our first room we got was room number 5. It was a HUGE room with a HUGE balcony. It was an older room separate from the main building. Everything seemed old, including the linens and the drapes. Immediately, I noticed it smelled musty. I turned on the air conditioner thinking maybe it was just musty from being warm and no circulation, but no. I have terrible allergies and within 15 minutes I was stuffed up and wheezing. An hour or so later, we went to the front desk and asked if all the rooms were kind of older and musty, or just this one. He didn't look all too happy to help, but showed us a couple of rooms in the main building. They didn't seem much better & were the most boring rooms... literally no decorations, white walls. He then took us to another little separate building to room 53. This room is very tastefully updated, I could see that it had recently been redone. We were VERY happy with this room and my allergies cleared up very quickly. I am convinced that there was mold in room 5. The next day, I saw the same man and thanked him so much for helping us with our room because I was so much more comfortable... told him how much we appreciated it and that I thought there may be a mold problem in room 5. He literally shrugged and said, "eh." Not really the hospitality we had experienced with every other person we met in Costa Rica. In the end, our experience was really good, but I cannot suggest strongly enough to request a room in the same building as room 53. My rating would have been considerably lower had we not been able to change rooms. Breakfast was GREAT, the view simply amazing, everyone else at the hotel (besides this one grump) was so welcoming & lovely. Did I mention the view? I mean, really, even if you choose another hotel, go here for a drink just to take in the view! Wonderful area with lots of restaurants, 2 minutes to the beach by car!

Room Tip: Avoid room 5 if you have allergies... we loved room 53. I believe any room in that building would be...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I did a lot of research and was bummed that we chose to stay here. The view is awesome but not worth staying here. The rooms and hotel are old and not charming. I would suggest staying elsewhere, Issimo Suites is awesome, but I don't think they have a view. Go to La Mariposa for a drink and to enjoy the view but do not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed October 18, 2012

According to even their rival hotels in the area, the Mariposa has the best view of Manuel Antonio. Indeed, it's gorgeous. We had a wonderful room (upgraded) that added to our experience. Since it was off season, the breakfast was served, rather than buffet, but it was plentiful, good, and served graciously. Reception staff was also very helpful and friendly. Location is great: walking distance to cafes and other sights, which is rare in Costa Rica for good hotels. Our only negative would be about the beds and pillows: lumpy and not comfortable.

Room Tip: try to check out several rooms if you can. may want to avoid the stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I got married here in August and the staff at La Mariposa made our Wedding Day incredible and memorable. The Wedding Coordinator was there during the event to make sure everything ran smoothly and perfectly. The Chef also gave us his personal attention and catered to our likes and food desires and the food was phenomenal. We were treated like family during the coarse of the entire week we were there. Needless to say, we can't wait to return next year

Room Tip: We had a total of 4 rooms between the family and they were all spectacular
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family