“good choice”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed September 28, 2012

very good hotel... good location. very helpfull crew. verry nice and clean room. free Wifi and computer in the loby. Bar in the swiming pool......................... good breakfast with fresh fruits.......................................

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,443)

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Our experience at this hotel was wonderful. It is not the "modern" hotel of the USA. We stayed in room 31. We had a perfect view that encompassed the entire beach. The room was spacious but very plain. The beds were very comfortable. The shower was great with plenty of hot water. The staff was very accomodating. They made us feel like family. Everyone we came in contact with was there to help. The grounds are kept perfect. NO elevator in main building but it was fun going up and down the stairs, you saw something different each time.( the stairs are outside. ) This is a rain forest. There are bugs but if you keep the door shut they stay on the outside. A perfect escape from reality.

Room Tip: Stay in old building. Ocean side view. Corner room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeanne S
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I spent 10 days in Costa Rica and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. Enjoyed is not the proper word....we LOVED Costa Rica! After staying at the Treehouses Hotel in San Carlo and the Springs at Arenal in La Fortuna, the concierge at The Springs recommended that we spend the last 5 days of our trip at La Miraposa in Manuel Antonio. When we arrived and walked into the reception area the view from the terrace was indescribable! We got a 3rd floor corner room with a wrap-around terrace that offered us breathtaking views of the Pacific, Manuel Antionio Park, and the mountains northeast of Quepos. Throughout our stay, we started every morning with a tray of local coffee on the terrace and ended each day watching some of the most beautiful sunsets we've ever seen. Because it was considered the off-season (August 31st thru September 4th) the rates were fantastic! We loved the staff! Our bartender, Luis entertained us every night. Our waiters, Marcos, Allen and Smith always went above and beyond in their service. They actually treated us like we were visitors in their homes. They even endured my wife's lame attempts at Spanish without embarrassing her. Steven and Maria at the front desk helped us with one thing or another every day. Since we had not been to Costa Rica we had a lot of questions and they patiently answered each and every one.
Our stay at La Miraposa was a memorable one and we hope that we can return again.
"Pura Vida"!

John & Susan Halliwell Mather

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The staff was great. Setting up trips, very friendly, very nice, and fun. Had an issue with bugs in the room one night, but ITS THE JUNGLE what do you expect. THey made my Honeymoon perfect!!! Thank you.

Room Tip: The Ocean View Suites
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I loved Costa Rica! The Manuel Antonio Beaches were amazing (don't pay for a tour, just take lunch and snacks bc the beach itself is amazing and you'll want to stay there all afternoon)! This hotel has an amazing view from the restaurant and from the infinity pool. I believe I stayed in room 33 or 36. I was not impressed by the hotel rooms at all. I have stayed in nicer rooms for much cheaper. It is not worth the amount of money it costs. Go have breakfast, lunch or dinner here and enjoy the view, but don't waste your money staying here. The hotel staff was not very accommodating and they were rude. Anytime you asked them anything they ignored you or made it known that you were bothering them. The only polite worker I encountered worked at the restaurant and he was the only one who had a pleasant demeanor. This hotel is raved about in all the travel books, but it did not live up to those standards for me. Breakfast wasn't that good and neither were the quesadillas. On top of that one of the bar tenders tried to rip me off for those crappy quesadillas. When I spoke to the manager I was given back the money that was owed to me since I had my receipt. He tried to get me because he figured I didn't know the exchange rate. There are no elevators, just stairs. Lights are out early around 11 and it's pretty quite around the hotel after that. There is a bus stop nearby that you can take virtually anywhere you need to. Very convenient. While there our room had an infestation of moths that the hotel staff said was normal. Overall not a pleasant stay and I would not stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JazleneG
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

La mariposa was a fantastic hotel we stayed in room 36. If you're going to stay here try to get this room. There is no elevator so walking up the flights of stairs can be a bit tiresome but it's worth it for the view you get with this room! It's a full ocean view room You get a full window view to the south as west with a rap around patio. Excellent for sunsets.

The one problem we had was things at the hotel were expensive. We ordered pizza from the restaurant on grounds. 2 pizzas with 4 drinks came out to be 72 bucks. Still haven't figured out why it was that much considering the pizzas were 12 bucks. The pizza was excellent though.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My friend and I received this hotel accommodation with a package that we bought online. The hotel was very nice. It is centrally located near the national park and nearby restaurants. Upon arrival, we were greeted and welcomed with two smoothie drinks at the swim up bar. The view from the terrance is unbelievable, overlooking the park, ocean and infinity pool.

Our standard room, however, was okay. The room was very basic with a TV, clean bathroom (no tub), balcony overlooking the ocean, and tiled floors. The AC was not very strong, and there was no refrigerator. We had difficulty with the safe which caused us to get help from the front desk several times. We were also greeted by several white-faced monkeys jumping all over our roof above us which was causing quite a raucous. At first it was quite amusing. They were so close, so we were able to take lots of great photos of them playing, but after a while, we asked to be moved to another room, which the hotel staff kindly did.

The breakfast was really good. There was an assortment of fruits, hot items including bacon and pancakes, and even an omelette bar. The coffee was always very good.

Room Tip: Overall, it was a very nice hotel with a friendly staff. I would recommend it, but would suggest upg...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends