“Overrated”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I loved Costa Rica! The Manuel Antonio Beaches were amazing (don't pay for a tour, just take lunch and snacks bc the beach itself is amazing and you'll want to stay there all afternoon)! This hotel has an amazing view from the restaurant and from the infinity pool. I believe I stayed in room 33 or 36. I was not impressed by the hotel rooms at all. I have stayed in nicer rooms for much cheaper. It is not worth the amount of money it costs. Go have breakfast, lunch or dinner here and enjoy the view, but don't waste your money staying here. The hotel staff was not very accommodating and they were rude. Anytime you asked them anything they ignored you or made it known that you were bothering them. The only polite worker I encountered worked at the restaurant and he was the only one who had a pleasant demeanor. This hotel is raved about in all the travel books, but it did not live up to those standards for me. Breakfast wasn't that good and neither were the quesadillas. On top of that one of the bar tenders tried to rip me off for those crappy quesadillas. When I spoke to the manager I was given back the money that was owed to me since I had my receipt. He tried to get me because he figured I didn't know the exchange rate. There are no elevators, just stairs. Lights are out early around 11 and it's pretty quite around the hotel after that. There is a bus stop nearby that you can take virtually anywhere you need to. Very convenient. While there our room had an infestation of moths that the hotel staff said was normal. Overall not a pleasant stay and I would not stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JazleneG
Write a ReviewReviews (1,443)

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

La mariposa was a fantastic hotel we stayed in room 36. If you're going to stay here try to get this room. There is no elevator so walking up the flights of stairs can be a bit tiresome but it's worth it for the view you get with this room! It's a full ocean view room You get a full window view to the south as west with a rap around patio. Excellent for sunsets.

The one problem we had was things at the hotel were expensive. We ordered pizza from the restaurant on grounds. 2 pizzas with 4 drinks came out to be 72 bucks. Still haven't figured out why it was that much considering the pizzas were 12 bucks. The pizza was excellent though.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My friend and I received this hotel accommodation with a package that we bought online. The hotel was very nice. It is centrally located near the national park and nearby restaurants. Upon arrival, we were greeted and welcomed with two smoothie drinks at the swim up bar. The view from the terrance is unbelievable, overlooking the park, ocean and infinity pool.

Our standard room, however, was okay. The room was very basic with a TV, clean bathroom (no tub), balcony overlooking the ocean, and tiled floors. The AC was not very strong, and there was no refrigerator. We had difficulty with the safe which caused us to get help from the front desk several times. We were also greeted by several white-faced monkeys jumping all over our roof above us which was causing quite a raucous. At first it was quite amusing. They were so close, so we were able to take lots of great photos of them playing, but after a while, we asked to be moved to another room, which the hotel staff kindly did.

The breakfast was really good. There was an assortment of fruits, hot items including bacon and pancakes, and even an omelette bar. The coffee was always very good.

Room Tip: Overall, it was a very nice hotel with a friendly staff. I would recommend it, but would suggest upg...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We have traveled through Manuel Antonio several times and the views here were spectacular, especially from the pool! The hotel itself isn't the best in the area by any means. The food is average and service can be slow (eat elsewhere!) Also, although we got a room upgrade from the standard room it was still very basic and felt a bit old, and could use an update. It is in a good location and there are shuttles to the public beach, you can also walk down to the beach if you don't mind a hike. There wasn't as much wildlife around the hotel as we had seen in other places (when we stayed at the El Parador we saw monkeys and iguanas all the time). The gift shop is nice, we went in our last day and found some interesting and unique gifts. If you are a family I would go elsewhere for better value and if you are a couple with a large budget, there are newer, more romantic places to stay.

Room Tip: Definitely go for an upgrade from the standard rooms if possible!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank travelbugs48
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Depends on what you like to find on a hotel. La mariposa can be a bit price when it comes to choices but let me tell you, for a romantic getaway it's a touchdown!. Food is awesome, service is out of this league, location , THE BEST VIEW in MANUEL ANTONIO confirmed by locals as well. Now if you the person to really look for comfort this might not be the best option, Everything else is just right. everything is walking distance, shuttles to beaches and tours. Clean, very clean. is the middle of the jungle, you'll always find bugs, flies or something but very rare. waking up and seeing the pacific is something not every day and everybody has the chance to do often. Worth the money. Tight budget?, there are many more nice options.Again, don't expect to find American style hotels, THIS IS COSTA RICA and the Hotel is in a mountain!. conditions are very different.

Room Tip: the best asset of this hotel is the view. GET A ROOM WITH a BALCONY! LOL.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

The most amazing views , ask for a suite on the main building were the reception is because the best view is there.
The hotel is really nice , the pool was fantastic ,infinity pool and the service was great .

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We've just come back from Costa Rica and the best holiday in a long time. We woke up every morning to the sound of howler monkeys and the surf breaking on the islands below, followed by a fantastic breakfast overlooking what has to be the best view in the Manuel Antonio area!! We had room 6 where my husband and I, our two teenage boys, our 6 year old, plus all our luggage, had more than enough room to relax and not be on top of each other. This is a great hotel for families, close to everything, and yet when you're sitting by the pool or out on your veranda in the early mornings or late afternoon you truly feel in the middle of the jungle and mesmerized by the view and visiting monkeys, tucans etc.. Go for it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family