“Our Home Away from Home”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed September 27, 2007

My husband and I came upon La Mariposa by accident on our first visit to Costa Rica 7 years ago. This year we will return for the eighth consecutive year of our month long stay at La Mariposa. There is no other hotel for us. Our suite of rooms are immaculate and lovely.....with terraces overlooking the jungle and the sea. The staff, friendly, helpful and respectful, have become our friends and we are treated like royalty.......from the chambermaids to the pool service staff, to Emilio the manager to the lovely owners, Jose and Anna. As a resource for recreational or educational tours you need look no where other than the front desk.We are avid fisherman and often bring our catch for a dinner prepared by their highly competent restaurant chef, Guy, while we are surrounded by the pink sky of the most beautiful sunset in Costa Rica. I am a swimmer and am so excited about their new endless pool, perfect for my dawn laps. Whatever our needs are, they are met with eagerness and a smile. Without hesitation, we have sent our friends and business associates to stay there over the years, who also return many many times. The landscape is filled with beautiful flowers and wild birds and breakfasts have home made baked goods and sweet fresh local fruits....You will not be disappointed if paradise is what you seek.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank jawseasthampton
There are newer reviews for La Mariposa Hotel

Reviewed September 18, 2007

My husband and I honeymooned in Costa Rica for 10 days. The Hotel La Mariposa was the first resort that we stayed at.
Well, as everyone says...the view is breathtaking. Many people here complain about the rooms...but we thought our room was nice. I mean, probably not worth as much as they charge....I think you're mainly paying for that view, but it was still a nice looking room. No TV...but we didn't go to Costa Rica to watch TV, now did we?

There were little bugs in the room, and even a lizard. But it didn't bother us, as we expected as much. I mean, it's the rainforest, right? There's going to be bugs. But then again, we didn't see any bugs in our rooms at any of the other resorts we stayed at. But anyway, the bugs were probably from our own doing...we did tend to leave the balcony doors open a lot.

There was construction going on by the pool during the day, as others have mentioned. Not a huge deal though. We had the pool to ourselves pretty much our entire stay, which was nice.

I did think the staff was rather unfriendly. They all seemed very stiff and serious, which made me pretty uncomfortable anytime I was around them. That's the one issue I think they really need to work on.

As for the food, we never did eat at the resteraunt, other than for the breakfast that was included with our stay, so I can't tell you much about it. Breakfast was good. For our lunch and dinner...we usually got sandwiches and fries from the bar.

I mentioned some bad points, but it was a nice place....beautiful property in a great location. You can take the shuttle to the park, or down into town. As far as activies, all that we really did was take a guided tour of Manuel Antonio park...that was a lot of fun, we had an excellent guide. I recommend you do it! The rest of our time there we just relaxed around the hotel. One day from our balcony my husband watched a group of white-faced monkeys vandalize somebody's pool furniture!

So all in all, we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tetedefromage
Reviewed September 12, 2007

This was a terrific hotel in a great location. It has great views, fabulous little pools and a very pleasant staff. Thier food was also quite good. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2007

Hotel LA MARIPOSA is simply one of the greatest places I happened to stay in. Given I spent travelling over the world over the past twenty years, this is quite a compliment. The quality and the warmth of hospitality and service make this place unforgettable. I love LA MARIPOSA so much I managed to become a three times returning guest in a single year! Three times! Flying straight from Paris, France, to taste great food, more than spacious rooms and permanent desire to help from all hotel employees. All the hotel accomodations are worth the price paid and I am very curious to take a look a t the new pool which was still under construction last time I stayed there (march).The view over the ocean is simply fantastic and even if it looks a little cliché, I just can't get enough of relaxing on the terrace of my usual suite (junior suite N°40), right before going to dinner at night. Again, I think It's very important to insist on the quality of the hospitality, especially from the reservation service which is nothing but excellent. I give this place a five stars rating.

2  Thank Soulbro
Reviewed August 26, 2007

My fiance and I went to La Mariposa with high hopes, however, we were extremely disappointed. The great view is the only thing the hotel has going for it. It is extremely run down, as other reviewers have said the rooms are very outdated. We were upgraded to a "suite" that had lime green/hot pink curtains, sea foam green walls, an incredibly uncomfortable bed w/out a fitted sheet (we confirmed with other guests that they did not have fitted sheets either), the bathroom was not completely enclosed from the bedroom, etc, etc. When we saw that our room did not have a television, we asked for one with a TV and they stated "none of our rooms have tv's". Then after talking with other guests we found out some rooms do have TVs! When we asked the staff, they said only a few have them, so we just say that none have! The staff was not helpful, and told us that the tours to the national park were $40pp with a guide, so we booked it through them, later to find out they were recommending other people to just go to the park themselves where it is only $20pp with a guide. The landscaping was lacking, and there were workers doing things all day (but i'm not sure what they were doing). While sitting at the pool midafternoon someone was drilling. Things like this should not happen at a nice hotel. The food at the restaurant for lunch/dinner was terrible, and the breakfast was mediocre at best.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank lovestotravel13
Reviewed August 23, 2007

This hotel is fantastic! You definitely get what you pay for. I stayed in Costa Rica for 7 days. The first four days my girlfriend and I were doing the adventures in Arenal and Monteverde so the last couple days I wanted to relax...and Mariposa definitely delivered.
After reading other reviews of other places, I read how people had problems with insects. Thats one reason why I chose Mariposa because of the insect free rooms. I didn't have any problems with insects coming in the room...you just gotta use common sense and keep the doors closed!
Another reason why I chose Mariposa was because of the fantastic views. We had the ocean view villa...the view was spectacular! There is also a spa in there! Very nice. Every morning the breakfast buffet was good...better than the other hotels I stayed at.
Before going here I was worried about the complaints about the service...but the service was exceptional! Everyone was very nice and inviting. When we first got to the room the remote to the AC was missing, but they were quick to bring another one. The bartender, Raphael, made the best drinks and gave great suggestions on places to go to for eating or entertainment. THe front desk was helpful with tourist information as well.
I think we didn't have a problem with service because we came to Costa Rica with respect for the country and nice people there. If you go to Costa Rica thinking you are a rich American tourist that is better than other people, you won't get respect back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jakeclonky
Reviewed August 13, 2007

From the pictures on the internet we fell in love with the hotel La Mariposa. Unfortunately the standard of the so called junior suite was very low, really old and ugly looking furniture, and what´s worse we weren´t the only ones staying in our suite. it turned out all kinds of differents ants and other creepy looking germs were throwing a party in our room. As we got back home we had the chance of looking of the known pictures again in the internet and realized they must have given us another kind of room, a so called villa suite.

The appearance of their restaurant and pool bar staff was surprisingly unfriendly. mistakes can of course happen to anyone but if something goes wrong you would expect a friendly face or an excuse but these things were obviously not known to the staff.

The best thing about Mariposa is that it´s close to a very nice restaurant called "Salsipuedes". They serve excellent tapas with a big smile and to a very low price. You should absolutely go there! /Bgrds Bjorn from Sweden

• Stayed: July 2007