“Keeping it simple”
Review of Karahe Beach Hotel

Karahe Beach Hotel
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Karahe is a simple 2-star hotel in a great location. The property is nice and well maintained. Beautiful plants and sneaky iguanas scurry along the main path. I would recommend staying on the 'beach side' of the property to avoid traffic noise. Keep in mind that while the property itself is beach front, there are no rooms directly on the beach. The rooms are very basic, clean, with dated decor. The restaurant is also basic with nice views of the beach/ocean. Breakfast is included. Karahe's location is its best quality. It is located on the beach and within walking distance to the park and Manuel Antonio Village. The front desk staff at Karahe were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The only thing this hotel has going for it is amazing front office staff - the ladies there are soo helpful and nice! Karahe only goes downhill from there... the location is good, except the insanely loud road noise from every vehicle that passed by, and the nightclub Liquid right across the street. We heard the music EVERY SINGLE NIGHT - started at 9PM and went until 3:30AM. Except on Sunday, when the music started at 3PM. We had two iphones and an ipad buzzing with white noise and could STILL hear the music (you could almost feel the music vibrating). Then the actual room... it's dirty. The hotel in general is old and could benefit immensely from a little bit of new paint and grout to sparkle things up. We found 2 roaches and several worms on the floor (i understand this is the jungle in Costa Rica, but still....) I showered with my flipflops on and didnt want to touch anything in the room. One positive, is that the AC blasts freezing cold air, so it made it a little easier to sleep. But when I laid down i stared up at the ceiling full of what I'm pretty sure was black mold. If it wasnt mold then it was just grime and dirt. The floors/walls seemed dirty, and dont get me started on the bedspread. I did everything I could to avoid my room except to shower & go to bed... I didnt want to spend any extra time in there. I am all for value, and this room was a decent value at just over $100 night. But I can only do value when it's combined with cleanliness, and I didnt feel that at Karahe. I stayed in one of the standard rooms, so i can't speak for the superior or "beachfront" rooms (mind you these are still at least 100 yards away from the beach), but had space been available I would have upgraded to one of those sight unseen in the hopes that they were slightly nicer or cleaner. Complimentary breakfast at the restaurant was good - definitely above average compared to other continental breakfasts but other than breakfast, the restaurant is terrible. We ordered several things and the only thing we liked were the fries. :) The hotel had complimentary chairs on the beach, which was also a plus. If I return to Manuel Antonio I won't return to Karahe, but will look for another place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dana K
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Karahe was a good place. The location was great, close enough to walk along the beach or road to restaurants, shops, and the park. The beach in front of the hotel was nice with complimentary chairs, although we went off to some of the more secluded sections of the beach so we only used them once. The rooms were ok. Our room was clean, however, you can hear every door slam in the seaside rooms as well as the people walking (or running as ours seemed to be) above us. Our air conditioner worked but the first night it seemed to have gotten tired and woke me up as it sounded like someone running through a grocery store and slamming their buggy into racks (we finally got accustomed to this at night). The staff were friendly and helpful. The restaurant is terrible, do not go there! We ate their on our first night since we had been driving all day and did not want to go out. We had a quesadilla and quesoburguesa. The burger was so terrible I had two bites and then could not stomach it anymore. I am not sure what kind of meat it even was. The breakfast buffet was acceptable but is unchanging. Overall the hotel was okay but we will be looking for other accommodations next time we visit.

Room Tip: If you stay in the seaside rooms ask for one on the far right (they are the only ones with an ocean...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My stay at Hotel Karahe was wonderful. The hotel staff is awesome. The rooms are kept clean. Clean towels everyday. The hotel offered a complimentary breakfast (about a $10-15 dollar value) which is more than enough to start your day. The reason I chose this hotel is because it is situated steps from the beach, which is Manuel Antonio's Gem of a beach. The hotel offers chairs for you to use on the beach, which would normally cost you $10 per day. The room has a mini fridg. to store some beers, water and juices. Mention my name Arthur Lopez if booking in 2013. I stayed there 9 nights :) They may offer you a discount.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ElMexicano2013
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful setting. Beautiful views. Bursting with wildlife. Clean and staff were super friendly!

Iguanas, Monkeys (Howler, White faced, Squirrel), Squirrels, Birds, Butterflies, Capybura... Etc. this place is a wildlife enthusiasts dream.

The staff are so helpful. The rooms are cleaned everyday and supplied with fresh towels, which was a different animal each day - towel oregami. Food was good and the restaurant is on the beach!

We stayed in Villa 3 and loved it so much we have already booked our next holiday here... In the same Villa!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott M
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We have spent three nights at this hotel. Hotel was average. Room was small and dark.
Furniture of the room was old and dirty.
View of the hotel garden was nice. Breakfast was good, but lunch or dinner we didn't have, because the restaurant wasn't looking good for us.
Wifi only on balcony and poor signal strenght.
The beach was long and clean, but many people there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roman_Dita
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We had booked a night is this hotel and were so satisfied about it that we booked another night. We had a villa (70$/night) located on top of the resort. Villa 5 which is, we think the best view and also the best way to stay in this hotel. You can have also down the resort the beach front rooms which actually, from our villa you see much more ocean and amazing jungle view with monkeys in the morning playing on your terrace ! Incomparable i think! Really nice helpful and kind staff, totally mutilingual. Good aircond in the rooms, free beach towels (which is great when towel there takes ages to dry because of the climat).
We were on our honeymoon and they kindly had prepared after we came back from the beach, a nice white wine bottle, 2 glasses and a beautiful flower bouquet. Just lovely.
We strongly recommend this hotel for : view, location (5mn from manuel antonio), kind staff, jungle feeling, beach access, safe car park, villas with good air cond and nice pool ! Thank you again for our great stay !

• Stayed: September 2013