“Loved it”

Karahe Beach Hotel
uk
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

Beautiful setting wonderful views. Friendly, helpful staff.
Would stay there again, anytime.

Room Tip: Villa 5 has the most amazing views - but a VERY steep climb.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

We spent over two weeks in Costa Rica and this was our last stop of our trip. We spent five nights here at the Karahe Hotel. We had a little hard time trying to find the parking lot of this hotel from the main street. The driveway to park your car dips down so you can't really see it! At check in we were greeted by a nice staff. Once we got our key it didn't work!! We were a little scared of other things to come! But they were really nice about it and gave us another key quickly. Once we got into our room we were a little dissapointed about the decor of the room, it was very outdated and old, seems like they need to upgrade on new bedspreads and paint. It also smelled a little moldy, and our room should of been aired out before we arrived. The size of the room is pretty big and you do get your own fridge. The best part of the room was your own little patio with a hammock. We had the room on the beach! So my rating is for the location! Your a couple of steps from a georgous beach!! and you also have a nice restuaraunt with really good prices. The food is ok, but can't complain its convienient and again less pricey than the other places.

If your not to pickey on the room and looking for the location, this hotel is your best option. We were walking distance to the little town where you can find restuaraunts and shops, and also you can walk to the Manuel Antonio park to hike and see animals.

Room Tip: The waves on this beach can be very strong!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mixxlizz
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

I'll get to my point later, first I'll talk about the hotel. The hotel is excellent. The staff is extremely nice, the owner is a very nice lady. The villas up top feels extremely natural, you get a sense of tranquility and relaxation. Breakfast is free, they can provide you anytime (except passed 7pm-8pm) shampoo, towels, even will loan you umbrellas in cases of rain shower. The restaurant is very good, good prices, and the food is tasty (I recommend chicken with rice). The location is very awesome, the BEACH is right there.

OK...now onto the problem. The beach is EXTREMELY dangerous, and there aren't any obvious warning signs. There are very sudden currents that will suck you inward towards the open ocean. My cousin drowned, but thanks to the amazing technique of CPR and a hospital, he was saved. Really thankful there were people around the area who were in health care. Six people almost died 11-19-2011. I got out once I realized how deep it had gotten and feeling the current sucking me in. Out of those six people, I almost lost my girlfriend and another cousin; what an extremely shocking experience. You have been warned. I hope anyone considering making a trip to Manuel Antonio reads this.

Room Tip: Get a villa to feel the true natural experience.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank William774
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

This was my second stay at Karahe, and it was a far better experience from some 15 years ago. The former stay was during a prior ownership. The present owners, management, and staff were a pleasure to be with during our brief three night stay. We almost wished we'd stayed our whole trip there since Arenal had turned out to be a disappointment. The rooms are basic, sure, but they have the essentials, and the setting is like heaven. Our room was on the ground floor and the patio overlooked the broad lawn that leads to the pool and cabana where they serve drinks and meals. The beach is just a stone's throw beyond within strolling distance of Manuel Antonion National Park. One day we only left Karahe once - to shop for souvenirs in Quepos. I would live there if I could. Beautiful surroundings, an experience free of pretense, and the relaxation we sought came over us boundlessly. I hesitate to write this because I would like to keep Karahe to myself, but unless you need some big glitzy resort, the Karahe experience in my opinion is a must.

Room Tip: If you can, reserve rooms in the building on the beach side of the road. But you may prefer to be ab...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mark L
Fremont, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Great location for this nice, basic place. Decent restaurant, clean tidy rooms, and most important...the AC worked! Great location on the beach and walking distance to the park and nightlife. Nice choice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights. Our goal was to have some time to relax and to visit the nearby nature park. We stayed in the beachfront appartements.

The hotelarea is directly located at the beautiful beach and when we visited this hotel there were not many other guests. The Manuel Antonio Park is within walking distance (15 minutes).

The food in the restaurant is basic but very good and cheaply priced. We liked the personnel .

The best thing is all the wildlife at the hotel premises. We saw monkeys, reptiles and ant eaters near and on the hotel premises. Even when we were swimming in the pool we spotted a sloth.

Room Tip: take the beachfront appartements
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Boess
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed here with a large group of newly made friends - fellow volunteers from an international volunteering non-profit - for a weekend in Manuel Antonio. This meant that we were just looking for an affordable place to stay so that the grad students could also afford to split the bill equally.

However, for the poor quality and non-cleanliness of the rooms, I still marvel at how much this cost. Each room from what I remember was over $120 a night and while they may be large, I persistently found exotic critters like lizards, worms, and roaches. I would forgive the presence of these uninvited guests if that were the only issue, but the room was also pretty dirty. I think there was something dead in the kitchen sink. They failed to bring extra towels when we requested them. The bathroom was falling apart - shelves and toilet paper holders were not staying up. The pool was also very old and grimy looking and quite small.

My biggest annoyance, while I was prepared for it because the travel agent warned us when we booked it, was that our rooms were a bit of an uphill trek and across the street from the beach. I understand that this is the nature of the area which is very hilly but if you forgot sunscreen, it was a 30 minute uphill trek back to your room. Forget about feeling relaxed if its a warm day and you forget several things or want to go the restroom comfortably - you'll feel like you went hiking all day. . I can't fault this charcteristic on the hotel but I can recommend that if you want a nice, relaxing stay in Manuel Antonio, this probably shouldn't be your choice. I'd splurge a bit more to get nicer rooms, less critters, and with rooms not so far from the water.

Some positive points: fearless iguanas come very close to you on the walkways and their dining patio, rhesus monkeys swing thru the dining patio daily in the afternoon, you can book a fabulous waterfall rappelling trip from the hotel (full day activity).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends