“Worth the Price”
Review of Hotel Costa Verde

Hotel Costa Verde
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel while I was looking for a place to buy in Manuel Antonio. I was traveling by myself, so I didn't want to spend a lot on a room. Costa Verde had rooms for around $90USD, so I booked it. This hotel sits on a great spot in the middle of Manuel Antonio. Beautiful property. My room was larger than I thought it would be with a great deck for relaxing. Had a musty smell, but a couple of sticks of incense cured that. Oh, that is a tip. If you rent a room in a rain forest it will probably smell a little musty. Do something about it besides complain. The pool was great. The staff was hit and miss. The desk staff was pretty good, but the restaurant wasn't. The staff at the Anaconda was okay. I had a horrible experience at the el Wagon. Horrible staff and food. Management really needs to get some consistency with their staff. One good staffer doesn't overcome several bad ones.

Overall it was okay. And for the price, it was worth it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,569)

Reviewed September 23, 2009

Let me know if I say great or wonderful too many times in my review . We arrived on a Saturday morning 3 hours prior to our check in time , I wish we had arrived 3 months prior to our check in time and stayed 3 months past our check out date . Our early arrival was no problem for the Costa Verde staff , our room ( the penthouse in CV II ) was ready and awaited us . The room was fantastic , wonderfully appointed . And the view , oh what a view . Panoramic , both of the ocean and coastline but also of the greenest most lavish forest . We chose our room in CVII because our vacation was to be void of televisions , cell phones and computers . Just peace and quiet peppered with activities that my wife and I chose . We white water rafted , zip lined , took horseback tours (twice ) and enjoyed our serenity with adventure . Our first afternoon I actually wanted a TV so I could watch the Fla-Tenn football game . The owner , Alan , allowed myself and a new found Fla friend to watch the game at his other bar/restaurant across the street ( La Cantina ) even though La Cantina wasn't open at the time . We were given the phone number to the Anaconda ( the CV main bar and restaurant ) and the waiters kept us in beer and served us lunch while we watched the game . Thats called hospitality!!!!!! After the game we lounged at the adult pool wher the staff again was great and very personable . The property has 3 pools ( I should have said the most beautiful property ) , the adult pool for those 18 and older is a great idea . My wife and I have 4 children and 3 grandchildren ( not with us at the time ) so we enjoy children , but to be able to totally relax , quietly was exceptional . After traveling for 7 days prior we had come to realize that even though Costa Rica is beautiful , it is somewhat challanged in the culinary department . That all changed at Costa Verde . The first night we had dinner at the hotels main restaurant , the Anaconda , the food was GREAT , as was the service . The second night we ate at the La Cantina (another CV restaurant ) , again the food and service was outstanding . The third night we ate at Avion , another CV bar and restaurant located about 1/4 mile from the hotel , again with the same result ( you have to try the coconut margarita ) . The Costa Verde has it all , the most lush tropical forest setting , the breathtaking views of the ocean and coastline , the best food in Costa Rica with an outstanding , friendly and professional staff . They know how to pamper their guest , and they do it well . We just left Sept 23 and my wife and I are alredy planning to return in December as well as taking our children and grandchildren for a week in June . If you visit Costa Rica and don't stay at the Costa Verde in Manuel Antonio you are not doing yourself justice .

Steve Apted
Geneva , Fl

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We stayed at Costa Verde July 11-14, 2009. After arriving at San Jose airport in the afternoon, we drove straight to MA (about 3-3.5 hr drive) to reach the hotel. The staff was very friendly. The room was nice and spacious with a balcony and a kitchen area. The restaurants are nice though we only dined at their Anaconda restaurant. The hotel property is nice overall. We were assigned a room in the A section. This turned out to be close to main road so it was noisy in the balcony. I would suggest asking for section C. If you're lucky you will see lots of monkeys. We saw many on July 12 morning but not the other days. Conveniently located to MA park.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We split our vacation by staying 3 nights in Costa Verde , then moving to Costa Verde II for 3 more nights. Wished we had spent the entire time in Costa Verde II. Fantastic views were better than TV, fans and screens better than air conditioning, and our Studio Plus was more than twice as big as our Studio in Costa Verde. Monkeys roamed around the Costa Verde II building every morning!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My father and I stayed at this hotel for the weekend while we looked at this area for my wedding coming up in February. It’s a fabulous place to stay. We were impressed with the service upon arrival. It was a light rain shower when we arrived. Living in Florida we were certainly used to this type of weather and had no problems walking to our room in the rain...however the staff insisted on driving us about 100 yards to our building and helping us get our luggage upstairs.
The hotel looks like it was built into nature verses nature planted around a hotel. It is quite unique to walk down a hill, downstairs, down another hill, and up stairs to reach our room. No need to hit the gym, you will get a great work out just walking to the bar...at least that is what we told ourselves.
Once we checked into our room, we were amazed at how LARGE our room was (B10). We made this reservation about a week prior to arriving, we just asked for the least expensive room and with two beds, since our main goal with researching the area for my wedding. We actually already contracted a rental home to stay in, but we were trying to get a feel for the area and what to expect for our other travelers. Both beds were full to queen size. Very stiff, but not terribly uncomfortable. Our view was great. We had a view of the gardens and if we looked to the left we had a great view of the ocean. It seemed like anywhere you went in this hotel you had an amazing view.
We had breakfast at Anaconda and the staff was good, but the food was amazing.
The front desk staff was the best. They gave us great recommendations and really cared about us.
We visited the pool, had great drinks, great people!! The owner was out by the pool playing music and mingling with the guests. Everyone was so laid back and made sure you were having an amazing time.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place to stay for a reasonable price. We visited another hotel which was closer to the rental home we have for overflow guests to stay at, but it was much more expensive. Costa Verde is perfect for those looking for a more natural quiet experience in Manuel Antonio.
I have tons of video of the property on You Tube. Just keyword search natalierubinofla

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We saw quite a few animals at this hotel and enjoyed the ocean view from our balcony. We were close to the main road so we did get some noise from big trucks. It was convenient that the bus stops right in front of the hotel if you want to avoid the overpriced taxis just go short distances. The Anaconda restaurant had really good dinners. People at the front desk/lobby could be a little more helpful and friendly. But all in all a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Just back from a 6 nights stay at Costa Verde II, screen room with ocean view. Everything was just great. The pool, the staff, the restaurants and the monkeys!!!. Compare to other hotels, CV2 is relatively close to the beach. Easy walk going down and a little bit strenuous walk back up. But we manage to do it twice a day. Access to the beach was done discretly through neighbor hotel.

The idea of loft style "screen room" is just great. You really have the feeling of living outside. We would definitly go back to this place. Thanks to the owner and constructor of this envrionment. It really respect the idea of "eco tourism".

Have a look at the views from room # 7