“Fantastic Views!”

Hotel Costa Verde
Long Island, New York
“Fantastic Views!”
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We had a fantastic time at Hotel Costa Verde. The hotel was well situated into the lush, tropical environment. We stayed in a studio plus room in the B complex (with a/c) and had the most amazing view. Of the three restaurants at the hotel, we most enjoyed Anaconda, which had great views and a nice atmosphere for our daily breakfast. We did wish that breakfast would have been included. The rooms were rustic, but clean and spacious. We did not encounter any major bug problem, although we did see a few small ants. The reception was friendly and helpful in setting up tours. We were extremely happy with the ATV tour and the Canopy Tour. I would not, however, recommend a snorkeling/dolphin watching tour if you go during the months of June/July. Although we should have done more research on our own before booking, we felt that that front desk staff member who helped us set up the tour should have informed us that the conditions for both of these activities was not good due to merky water from the rain run off and strong currents (which the dolphins do not like). This seemed to be a well known fact amongst other locals that we spoke to. The reception attendant strongly recommended a particular company, which in hindsight, he may have been looking out for a friend or relative who ran that tour. Overall the Manuel Antonio area was great--very beautiful and filled with wildlife. We found the Ticos to be very friendly and helpful, however, on a few occassions we unfortunately aware of the fact that they were looking to make as much money off of the tourists as possible. The weather was consistent--sun in the morning, rain in the late afternoon, and clear, humid nights. We found that the rain often added to the excitment of the activities we were doing. Considering we were in the rainforest, we did not mind the rain. We saw monkeys from our balcony on 2 occassions. Hearing/seeing the howler monkeys from the room was a great time. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Views!!! & wildlife
  • Disliked — Pricey restaurants; being misled by reception staff regarding tours
2 Thank canespride

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
San Diego
Reviewed July 11, 2008

The Costa Verde hotel was a great place to stay. We had a room with panoramic views of the jungle below and beach. The balcony has rocking chairs to enjoy the view or occasional thunder/lightening storm. We saw monkeys around 5pm everyday outside our balcony and by the pool. There are great pathways to enjoy the area. There are multiple pools, some with incredible views. The main restaurant had great food with reasonable prices. The prices of the hotel were very reasonable for the area and view. I loved this hotel and would definitely return.

• Liked — The views and monkeys
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank AndreaErin
Virginia, US
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My buddy and I traveled most of the South Pacific area of Costa Rica with a large emphasis on Manuel Antonio/Quepos area. We specifically liked what Costa Verde had to offer on its website and made this the place we stayed for the longest period of time. We could not have been happier with our selection. Upon arriving at the hotel we were surprised by how nice the reception area was and how courteous and hospitable the employees were. I would pay no attention to the disgruntled reviews as I would say its a case of "you get treated how you treat others". We were greeted warmly and even pointed to some monkeys playing in the trees. Our room was ready right away and we were led to a parking space a few feet away. All of the rooms are shrouded in the jungle with vegetation everywhere. They all have large porches with very nice rocking chairs (great for drinks or playing cards) Our room was very spacious (we got an efficiency with 2 double beds) and the air conditioner was very new and pumped out very cold air (it can be a bit loud but there is also a "sleep setting" that we used at night which was perfect.) The bathroom was also very nice and clean. We had a large refrigerator and kitchenette with a range (pots, pans, dishes, and silverware included) There was also an electronic safe which is very important. Anyone who had anything taken from here clearly has not traveled around Costa Rica enough to know that you put every valuable you have in the safe whenever you leave the room. We had no problems with this at all. The hotel is on vast grounds with 3 different pools. One pool has a bar and an amazing view of Manuel Antonio(its also adults only). There are three separate restaurants. We had breakfast at the Anaconda (closest) and it was pretty good, a standard Tico breakfast, but the view from here is amazing. We had dinner at La Cantina (right across the street) and it was fantastic. The BBQ Kabobs are a must have and the Tuna was great as well. The prices are reasonable and the service is unbeatable (Ask for Francisco, he was the best waiter we had in all of CR). We had drinks in the bar at El Avion(down the street a block) which was very cool and the bar tender was great. The beach is about a 5 minute drive (we had rented a car). It is walkable but because of the mountainous terrain I would recommend a cab. Once on the beach you can rent chairs and umbrellas. The beach is one of the nicest we saw on our trip. If you get to the beach early enough try having breakfast at one of the small restaurants across the street from the beach, their food is great. We also took a zipline tour from here that the hotel set up. It was great and well worth the money. All in all I thought Costa Verde exceeded my high expectations and I am considering coming back with more friends and staying longer.

• Liked — Location in the jungle
  • Disliked — Didn't see as much wildlife as I hoped I would
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank CRenthusiast
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We selected Costa Verde as the hotel to stay for our final 3 nights in Costa Rica. We were traveling with another couple, both celebrating our anniversaries. We had been to CR before, but the other couple had not, so I was looking for a place that would be very special for all of us. As a previous poster mentioned, the recent negative reviews certainly made me nervous. However, I contacted Victor Fe at Costa Verde and he assured me that we would be well taken of - and he was correct. We were given rooms B11 and B12, which I think had the best views in the complex. We ate at the Annaconda and La Cantina and the food was excellent at both. The drinks at the adult pool bar were great as well. Yes, we did run into a few of those pesky black ants, but that is expected in a tropical environment. My only suggestion/request to the hotel would be to offer more assistance with getting the luggage to/from the rooms, as there are several stairs and it is difficult to carry if you pack like we do. We would definitely stay at Costa Verde again.

• Liked — views, food
  • Disliked — lack of luggage assistance
Chalfont, PA
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We stayed at Costa Verde for a week. Our room was beautiful, with many opportunities to view monkeys from the porch.

Our experience was that the staff were very helpful, and often called our attention to wildlife in the trees. On our last night we left our camera in the restaurant, El Avion, and when we went back the next day the waiter had put it aside for us. We were overjoyed.

We had read that you needed to be careful of your things as thieves abound. Apparently, that's not always the case!

Costa Verde is on a cliff and you need to be physically able to walk up hills to your room, but the view is outstanding and there's plenty of privacy.

• Liked — Privacy, wildlife proximity
  • Disliked — Climbing hills to get anywhere
1 Thank suzieqchalfont
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 13, 2008

Before my recent trip to Costa Rica I relied heavily on Trip Advisor for information about the hotel choices I had made through my travel agency Latin Destinations.

I selected Costa Verde a few months before the trip but as the trip got closer I got kind of nervous because of recent reviews. The two things I worried most about were unsafe conditions or theft and dirty rooms. I almost changed hotels right before our trip started.

I am glad I didn't. The Costa Verde was a wonderful experience for me, my partner and our two sons age 8 and 14. The staff that greeted us was professional and efficient. No they didn't do cartwheels just because we showed up. We were able to go right to our room which was a studio plus with a great view in building B. If you go, spend a few extra dollars and get the studio plus room..

Over all the food was very good, and the help was wonderful. The staff at the restaurants did act like they were your best friends. Overall service in Costa Rica is a little slower, its just part of the way of life. Any time we customized our selections they could not have been any more agreeable to help out. The BBQ place across from the main complex was good; they have a train car as a focal point of the place. We ate at El Avion one nite and the food was great, the view was outstanding. They gave us a free ride up to the El Avion in the hotel van.

We walked down to the public beach one time and it was okay, but we took a cab the rest of the time up and back. It was 6 bucks each way, but for us worth the time it saved us walking up the big hill in the heat.

Costa Rica gets a bum rap for the “rainy season”. We had sunshine and dry 80% of the time. When it rained it rained hard for 2 hours and cleared up again.

I would suggest Costa Verde for those who want a really nice place to stay, but if you require luxurious 5 star treatment and accommodations then you might be disappointed. If you are usually happy with staying at a nice Holiday In n or Marriott you will love this place. If you only stay at a W hotel or a high end Hilton, then you most likely will be slightly disappointed. This is a great home base for fun and frolic in the area. The pools are very refreshing, but it’s in the jungle and you have plants all over the place and some bugs. I took a can of ant spray and sprayed it around the room the first day and we had no problems the entire time.

The monkeys were great our kids loved them. Heck we loved them as well. It isn’t like at any given minute you see 1000 monkeys. They travel in troops and 2 or 3 times a day they pass through. Usually morning an around 6pm. When they come through there are hundreds of them playing and having fun. We saw sloths each day in the trees and we saw 4 toucans at breakfast one day.

Overall I give this 3 star place a 4 star rating for our stay. We were smart travelers, we used the lock box and locked up valuables, it was easy. If anyone has anything stolen here, it’s your own dumb fault. Now that we are back I can’t believe some of the reviews I read before I went, I didn’t see any of the things they wrote about.

Their international phone service and web access was outstanding, just great!!!!!

If I had to pick anything that they need to work on it would just be cleaning up the lizard and monkey poop from all the wildlife that visits the place!

• Liked — The location and the wait staff
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank wayne h
Sacramento
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We loved this place. No the rooms are not high end but they are large and clean. The balconies are large as well. I agree the beds were hard, but it seemed like that was the case everywhere we stayed in Costa Rica.
The staff was very helpful and polite (we couldn't figure out the phone card for calling the US and they were happy to help). The food at Anaconda was good, although we only had breakfast. We weren't too impressed with the food at El Avion, but maybe it was what we ordered. It wasn't bad, but not good either.
The wildlife at the hotel was amazing. We woke to howler monkeys every morning. We saw capuchins every day and squirrel monkeys 2 days. We woke to find 2 coatis crossing our balcony in the middle of the night. We saw 2 sloths on the property and a huge raccoon.
The pools are nice, especially the adult pool (view is amazing). The bar drinks were great, especially the pina coladas.
The walk to the beach is nice and if you are in half way decent shape its no big deal.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The wildlife!!
  • Disliked — Hard bed
2 Thank Brooke36