“Worst Hotel of our trip”
Review of Hotel Costa Verde

Hotel Costa Verde
tampa
“Worst Hotel of our trip”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Sorry to give a poor review. We had a cabin E6 that was very close to the main road. We could not sleep at night because the trucks rattled us out of the beds all night long. It was very very noisy! There were also lots of ants and spiders and we got some sort of strange bites at night. We asked to be moved and they ignored our requests saying that there was nothing they could do.

This is a big place so I am sure there are lots of other nicer rooms. Just dont stay in E6 if you want to sleep.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nancykrieg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Hotel Costa Verde in 13 months - My wife and I stayed here last year without our children. This stay was on the 2nd floor of Area E and the view is just amazing out over the ocean and down into the park! The room was very clean and the two queen beds were perfect for the 4 of us. PLenty of hot water for everyone every day and plenty of lighting and AC (plus fans!) This room even had a small 2nd balcony to the jungle side, which worked as a great location for all of our smelly wet jungle shoes to air out!! On our first morning at Costa Verde, we were sitting out on the deck and got a very up close and personal visit from a white faced monkey right on our deck! As always we saw blue-gray taningers, cheerie's taningers, tons of kiskadees and many more birds as well. We could hear some Toucans but never saw any unfortunatley. I read alot of reviews here about the staff and so I thought I should comment directly on that topic - We had nothing but positive experiences with them. The bell hops that helped us get our bags to our rooms, the guy who fixed our broken safe and assisting us with the lower lockers after we checked out. We found everyone to be helpful and polite without incident - same as our previous experience or we would not have returned.

We ate breakfast daily at The Anaconda and really enjoyed it! The view is steller, you often get visited by monkeys and the food is good too! I do wish that breakfast was included, and to be honest its a little pricey for breakfast but the convenience and quality are both high which is why we ate there every day. On one day we saw a large group of white faced monkeys during our breakfast and on another a lone howler monkey came very low in the trees to greet us - walked across the roof and onto the power lines in front. He actually jumped into a tree and swung down just inches above my wife which was pretty cool! (at least for us watching!! haha)

We also ate dinner at El Avion and had a very nice experience (and were again visited by monkeys!), as well as, eating at the Cantina. In that instance, we had a parade of about 40 squirrel monkeys passing through during our dinner, many of which hopped down onto the rails and the edge of the restaurant. They put on quite a show and the kids really enjoyed it!

The location is really so convenient as well... Yes its at the top of the hill but in our case of Area E, it was only a 10-12 min walk down the hill to the park. Its really the best of all worlds with the jungle and ocean views, conveient restaurants and walking to the park. Hotel Costa Verde is everything we want in a place for the price and location!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Costa Verde is a very good mid-range (may be upper-mid range) option in Manuel Antonio. It is priced appropriately for the value it delivers. Rooms are large, clean, and decorated in the idiosyncratic tastes of the resort owners, but not luxurious. The pools are quite nice. Views are amazing. Very good location for animal spotting -- have seen capuchin and squirrel monkeys, sloths, different types of lizards, there regularly. Service is above average. The food choices are very good and reasonably priced (again, not super high end, but worthwhile even if you're not staying on the property). It's a bit of a hike to the park, you'd want a car or to take the bus (not sure if they have a shuttle as I've always had a car). Very good place for families. I actually got married at Costa Verde, so it has a special place in my heart. (Note, I am writing a review very late; last time I was there was August 2012; have been there two times before, as well).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MCllano
Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

we really enjoyed this hotel. it is in between Quepos and Manuel Antonio. the rooms were large with fridge and cooking facilities. a big deck to sit and watch the surfers or the rain. they have 4 restaurants both on and off property. the staff were very friendly and warm.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Overall, if I were to visit Manuel Antonio again, this is the place I would stay. We stayed in Costa Verde II, Sudio Plus, during the month of July.

I traveled with a friend and the room was much larger than we really needed, so it was relaxing to spread out. It had a nice size fridge and cooking area, which I used to make breakfast. Anything you need (eggs, bacon, juices, beer, ice, toiletries, etc.) can be found in Super Joseth's (but not the smaller, Joseth's , also in Manuel Antonio)..

We had everything we needed for breakfast on the balcony so we could enjoy the view and the monkeys in the morning. The coffee in the room, provided by the hotel, was excellent. We bought some, just in case, before we learned how good the hotel coffee tasted.

Tip: Super Joseth's delivers! To our surprise, we made the trip (cab) down to Super J., and that is where we learned they delivered. The gave us a ride back to our hotel for $4.00 and brought our groceries to the room for us, really good service.

The only thing which disappointed me was our room was on the bottom floor at Costa Verde II. The upper floors have the best views and I think the bottom floor should be called "pool view", because the pool and umbrella's blocked the unobstructed view I was expecting. We probably could have changed rooms the next day, but what a hassle to have a vacation day revolve around changing rooms, especially since we already stocked the kitchen with groceries.

I guess the benefit to having the first floor room was it was easy in and out to the pool deck. The view from the pool was amazing and the sunset incredible. Make sure to be around the pool area for the sunset.

Just below the pool deck, there is a large, open air, white tent. This is for massages, which I took advantage of and enjoyed it very much. It was so convenient to our room and was the best massage I'd ever had. It was the same price I pay for a one hour massage in the US, but they had 2 people and called it the 4 handed massage. WOW...soooo relaxing. Very much worth it to get the massage.

I tried to upload the many videos of Manuel Antonio to Trip Advisor, but for some reason, they would not go through. So, I have a video playlist of Costa Rica, the Manuel Antonio area on my You Tube Channel (also called Rainbow Gardens). To view them, just search my channel page playlists. It shows all the other fun things we enjoyed during our one week stay in MA, CR.

Thanks for checking out my review and hope it helps you plan your stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rainb0wGardens
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed for several nights in section D. This section of the hotel is for adults only. More on that later. It was a large comfortable room with a kitchenette and two double beds. The complaint with the room was that I was expecting more of a view, but since our room was on the ground floor, we couldn't see down the mountain to the beach as well. We had more of a view of the pool and the little tropical area between the pool and hotel. Try to get a higher up floor for views. The kitchen was fine for cooking a little breakfast and a half size refridgerator. The pool was lovely and had a bar that was fairly expensive. The view from the front edge of the pool is spectacular. Monkeys and iguanas everywhere! I liked that the hotel will pick you up and take you anywhere else on their grounds, it is quite a spread and could be walked, but if you want to arrive at dinner unruffled, the ride is nice as the road to the restaurants is a windy, curvy, curvy steep mountain road. I liked El Avion, we ate there a few times. I will review that seperately. My friend arranged a massage at the onsite spa, I didn't get one but it was very convienient.
We had a problem with a whole group of high schoolers on a trip invading the pool at one time. Who wants to be around twenty 15 year olds in a pool for adults? The hotel worker running the bar didn't do anything about it initially, but someone complained eventually and they had to leave, but not before they had run all the adults off. One other complaint is that this is too far up to walk down to the beach from, you would want to drive as part of the trip is on the dangerous, curvy road down to the park. I don't really have much to say about the staff here, they weren't as friendly as some of the other places we stayed at in Costa Rica, but overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would be willing to stay there again if I was ever in the area again.

Room Tip: High up in section D