“Terrible Customer Service!”

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Los Angeles, California
“Terrible Customer Service!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I haven't seen such rude hotel receptionists in my life. They were rude to a point that my wife and I decided not to deal with them and avoided them whenever we could. These people need serious customer service training. The only plus of this hotel is its scenic rooms. Well, at least the one that i paid for had an ocean view.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Dikoulou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We lived on second floor in the B section. Totally toddler unsafe. The kitcgenette has no microwave and the stove looks pretty awful. The room was laid out poorly. The double bed was under the AC unit and was unusable evaluate it got so cold. So the two kids, my husband and I all had to share the king sized bed. The bedding is a joke. The king bed had a queen sheet that never fit. Every night I would hold the sheet to keep it in place and every morning I would find the sheet balled up with my family on the bare mattress. Horrible experience.

Wifi is also a joke.

Staff is incredibly rude. Not only they don't smile, and act like they are doing you a favor, but once when I asked for directions to parking at the beach, told me to do him a favor and just go and read the paper tacked on the wall. I truly fail to understand the ratings others have given this hotel. We travel a lot and by far this and Los Lagos in Arenal have been poor hotel experiences.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank SavaniT
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Very nice hotel with very accommodating staff. They have 4 restaurants on the property for you to choose from and the food was good. The views from the hotel are amazing and the staff really does try to create comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in the "D" area and although the room was a bit rustic, the fantastic view and spacious outdoor patio more than made up for it. We ended up staying an extra day and greatly enjoyed our time here. The property is amazing--spread out throughout the jungle overlooking the coast. We were surprised to learn that our room was about 1/2 mile from the reception area but it turned out to be great. They have some very nice amenities here--hiking trails, a wonderful pool (one of 4) with an even better view; several good restaurants; we liked El Avion the best.
In all, a great, affordable place to stay in the Quepos area (our room was $87).

Just down the road is Manuel Antonio Park, which--sadly--is fast becoming an overly- commercialized tourist zone complete with over-priced tourist restaurants selling hot wings and french fires while the street vendors try to hawk cheap trinkets to sun-burned college kids. Some call this progress; I call it the road to Cancun. Nonetheless, it's still a lovely area full of wildlife and natural beauty.

Room Tip: BY all means get an upstairs room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Broomfield, Colorado, United States
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I would rather give this property 3.5 stars - it is not a 3 star but not a 4 star either. We stayed in the 727 and it was neat...but disappointing. The 2 bedded room had the larger bathroom while the 1 bedded room had the tiny bathroom. So my husband and I had the tail with the smaller bathroom and the kids had the two beds and the larger bathroom. The mattresses were extremely thin and the beds squeaked with the slightest movement. The beds were full sized - which is really small for two adults. None of us slept well in these beds! None of the bedrooms had a tv. I prefer a tv in a hotel bedroom and for the price you pay, it was disappointing. The 'living area' had a small kitchen which was nice for the fridge but we really didn't use the kitchen for cooking and cleaning (I'm on vacation!). There was a nice dining table that sat the 4 of us and due to the lack of other seating, we would use this. That other seating is in the 'TV' room which contains one tv and 2 rocking chairs. There was no way for all 4 of us to watch TV together based on the placement of the TV (below the kitchen area and facing away from it anyway). The 727 looks really cool and the location is very close to the lobby and street and even has its own parking area. The decks are beautiful and the wood finish inside is great. But given the horrible mattresses, and SLOW draining showers, as well as the small tv area and the bugs (yes, the bugs - more so in the bathroom though), it was not worth the money.

What we did enjoy were the restaurants and the monkeys! The breakfast was very reasonable and there were gorgeous views of the ocean. The restaurant we loved was across the street called La Cantina (see my 5 star review - loved it!). The gift shop had lots of items at really good prices. And the monkeys were everywhere in the morning! It was quite a show!! We did try the pool and it was small but nice. The hotel grounds were very lovely as well. The staff was ok. They felt more like staff at a 'lesser' hotel or even a hostel but they did give us a call to tell us when the monkeys were at the lobby so that was nice they remembered we wanted to see them.

The hotel is far from an 'average' hotel but I also think that they are lacking in some areas like their level of service. I have no idea if the regular rooms have nicer mattresses and less bugs but I'm pretty sure they would have a better layout than the 727.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the Costa Verde in the "B" section on the second floor. First thing you should know is that this hotel is at least 1.5 miles from the beach straight down a steep hill the entire way, which means straight up coming back. You can take a Taxi if you want, but that will add up quickly. Our room was really nice and had a fridge, and stove. My only complaint is the shower. THe water is not a strong flow and you feel like it is hard to rinse off soap etc. It was fine, just not optimal. As for the area in general, this entire hotel is built into the hill, so you walk up and down steep inclines to do anything, including just getting to your room, so this is not a place for someone that can't deal with that. THe walls are thin for sure, but the area is quiet and we had not real issues. The beds need some cushion, but I was so tired everynight I just fell asleep regardless. They have a nice pool with ocean views. As for the food. I am sorry to say it is just food. The breakfast was ok, but no real flavor. There is a BBQ place across the street, and it is just ok, but overprice. Do not order drinks here they are watered down!! There is a great pizza place a short hike up the hill. Great great pizza! The beach here is NOT for small kids or poor swimmers. It has huge waves, great for surfing and boogey boarding. My sun surfed and me and my husband boogey boarded each day. We are all strong swimmers and even we had a few concerns about the rip tides and currents here. The town in not much on the beach, but we did get chips and salsa at one place on a whim and it was really good. A bonus to Costa Rica is that the water is drinkable, so bring a water bottle and fill up, or expect to pay a lot for drinks, water, soda etc. Also nothing here is free, even sitting in a chair on the beach. They charge by the hour. We did not use a chair, just say for free in the sand. If I came back, I would try and stay at a place near the park in town. There were two really nice hotels here. One was Set on the edge of the park entrance. Not sure what the cost, but looked great. Also, flat ground! THere was another there also that looked good just down the same street. Wish I could recall the names.

Room Tip: Lots of step, hills and no elevators, so book accordingly.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KELLY B
Royal Oak
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I searched high and low for a hotel that I thought would be well suited for our family.
While the room was a little rustic the view of the ocean and our room's location to the family pool made up for it!
The room had a large balcony where you could look our over the tree tops and sea the beach and ocean. In the evening we were greeted by monkeys...that for me was the best part of our room!!
If you have kids...B3 is a great room. We usually had the pool to ourselves which was wonderful.

The property itself is a little sprawling too much in fact if you don't have a car as we did.

We ate at three of the four hotel restaurants. El Wagon is great and Cesar our waiter for all three of our visits was fantastic! He even took us out in front of the hotel to show us a sleeping sloth! We went back the next night for dinner only to be entertained by a baby sloth climbing down the trees. Our last afternoon we walked up for lunch and were amazed by the amount of monkeys frolicking in the trees.
The breakfast each morning was at the Anaconda...beware of bugs and bees! While they appeared harmless they were quite annoying!
We had a dinner at the Cantina and it was good and affordable. My son had their nachos and I loved them!!
We never made it to El Avion but it was always busy!

The front desk staff were friendly helpful and courteous.

The hotel is a bit of a walk to the beach and its not a bad walk in terms of length but more a dangerous walk.

The room had two queen beds, a bathroom, cable tv and a small kitchenette. We only used the fridge in the kitchen.

A very affordable price and we were pleased with our stay.
Hope this is helpful. Enjoy Costa Rica and Pura Vida!!

Room Tip: If you have kids and want to be close to one of the two family pools B3 (or B unit) would be your be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family