“Don't ask for a towel”

Byblos Resort & Casino
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Don't ask for anything beyond your key. We had to beg for an extra towel. Desk staff are in a coma. They were no help getting reservations or anything.

Poolside bar/restaurant staff are great.

I would not recommend this hotel.

The location is great but cheerless staff are disappointing.

Stayed: June 2014
HotelByblos, Owner at Byblos Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Mbeckom,
Thank you for your recent stay at Byblos Resort and for taking the time to post your positive comments about our poolside and restaurant staff, and our location. I regret that you had an unfortunate experience with one of our reception staff in the course of making your reservation and getting an extra towel. We generally enjoy excellent feedback about our friendly employees and reception staff ,which in most cases receives high marks from other guests.
However, we will definitely review the circumstances of your experience and do whatever we can to see that every guest feels attended to in the manner that they deserve. If you have any other details to share that would be helpful, please feel free to contact me directly (davis@bybloshotelcostarica.com) or our Reception Supervisor via our website.
I hope you will reconsider a return visit to our establishment so we will have a chance to make it up to you. If that interests you, please do not hesitate to contact me as mentioned above.
Davis Henley
Hotel Byblos Resort
Owner

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I am writing this as quickly as I can right after the incident so it is fresh in my mind. My wife and I are traveling throughout Costa Rica after living at a resort in La Fortuna for the last few months. We will be heading back to the United States in August. We have our little chihuahua with us and we came here as it is a "pet friendly" establishment. We are very courteous to others who may not like dogs, so we sat across the pool away from everyone near the so-called restaurant. Victor came over after we had been there earlier and told us the only place our little well behaved, unnoticeable, dog could be was in the room. Oh, you mean the room with the broken AC, overflowing toilet and no internet or TV access. We were told that all the systems were down but the so called restaurant had TV. I have just asked Victor for 2 cups of ice and I graciously said thank you and he gave the plastic cups to me with an arrogant shrug. This man can ruin a place of business and the way he treated me and my wife, the management needs to do something with him, for your sake not mine.Never have I ever felt so strongly about writing a review to help the management rid itself of such inappropriate behavior from an employee.We will probably never come to Manuel Antonio ever again, not because of this incident, just because we do not care for this area........I wish I could leave after the first night but they will not refund my cash payment.....STAY AWAY until they discipline this employee.

Room Tip: Bungalows with stagnate water or ones with absolutely no view, you choose!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelByblos, Owner at Byblos Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear Jaimie A,
Our highest priority is the satisfaction of our guests, so it was with a heavy heart that I read your review. As a secondary matter we love dogs, and other animals, and enjoying having them on the property. The hotel staff is a heavy supporter of the local organization, PAWS, that provides temporary foster homes, as well as spay and neuter clinics for unwanted dogs and cats in our area, so we do consider ourselves very pet friendly.
Having personally taken many car trips with my Australian Cattle Dog, I know it can be tricky finding adequate facilities when traveling with a pet. Unfortunately, it pains me to admit that despite the fact that Costa Rica has historically been pet friendly, the local Ministry of Health has just recently started a rather over zealous campaign to enforce new regulations about having pets in public areas of local businesses. Therefore, I hope you will try to understand that we were only following the recent regulations now being strictly enforced for unknown reasons in our general area.
More distressing is to hear that you feel you were treated rudely by our employee. Please know that we will discuss this matter with Victor, who having been a long time staff member, will certainly be equally distressed to hear about the impression that he created, and how upset you were as a result of your interaction with him. I'm sure this will help him to handle this and/or other matters more diplomatically with guests in the future.
Please know that I am available by email at davis@bybloshotelcostarica.com should you choose to contact me directly with any additional feedback or concerns, as I do personally want all our guests to have a positive experience while at our hotel.
Many, many people do love the Manuel Antonio area, it is the #1 visited park in all of Costa Rica, and I hope that your position about revisiting Byblos and the general area softens with time. If so, please know that we would welcome the opportunity to host you again and to be part of a more positive experience for you.
Davis Henley,
Hotel Byblos Resort

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Rooms were large with small bathroom. Hotel shows some wear but makes up for it in ambience.
Staff is friendly and responsive to needs. Breakfast has many choices and served in beautiful outdoor setting next to pool. Monkeys entertain most evenings. I have recommended this hotel to a friend and would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2014

What a nice place! more then what we expected - there is no casino but for that I will go to Las Vegas, Rooms were clean and breakfast great - did I mention it was free! yea it was. The staff very friendly - Very top notch, lots of noise, who can can control the howling monkeys when you are almost in the jungle (very cooool).

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We actually stayed here for our Honeymoon in March of 2009 and had a wonderful time! The staff was EXCEPTIONAL and our accommodations were very comfortable! The pool is a great place to relax and watch the monkeys and the bats at dusk. You will NOT be disappointed staying here! Sure, you can stay in a fancy schmancy resort, but why did you come to Costa Rica? Experience the community and enjoy the local experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building, but I would love to request on of the private cabanas in the future!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Our stay at Byblos was top notch. Everything from booking to check out went smooth as could be. Great location, accommodations, and service. I would highly recommend Byblos to anyone traveling to Manuel Antonio, and certainly plan on returning there myself.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Craig G
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

The staff and lodging facilities were spectacular. The food in the Pizzeria was very good -from breakfast to dinner- every meal was great! Need to schedule an excursion - the reception staff can make all that happen - need transfer transportation - yep- reception can do that too! Melissa is the best! Thank you for a wonderful weeks stay!

• Stayed: May 2014