“What a beautiful facility! Accomodations,food and staff,exceptional!”

Byblos Resort & Casino
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
austin,tejas
“What a beautiful facility! Accomodations,food and staff,exceptional!”
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Our recent visit to the Byblos Hotel in Costa Rica was an exceptional vacation! The staff provided accurate and honest reviews of the activities that we were interested in, the recommendations for food and drink were spot on correct.
This was our first visit to Costa Rica, and we could not have made a better choice for a hotel; close to Quepos,close to the beach and Manuel Antonio National Park, very convenient to anything you might want to do.
We encourage anyone going to the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica to give the Byblos Resort and Casino a try,you will not be disappointed!
Tell em' hello from....

Paul and Janet Landers
Austin,Texas

• Liked — every afternoon,sitting on the balcony of our secluded bungalow the monkeys ran through the trees!
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Richmond, Virginia, USA
Reviewed June 10, 2008

We travel to Costa Rica at least once a year to visit family, and always make a point to head to the beach. Manuel Antonio is our favorite place, and we try to stay at different hotels. This trip we were delighted by our choice to stay in Byblos - an artsy place with plenty of character nestled into the Jungle. We had a private cabin overlooking a stream and the pool area. Lush trees, vines and lots of wildlife was everywhere. One great feature of our cabin was the ample porch, which was equipped with a nice couch that managed to stay dry despite an ample rainstorm. Probably the best part of our trip was watching the monkeys swing by right outside our cabin. It was fantastic!

We ate at the restaurant at the Casino and I ordered the whole fish, which the waiter warned me would be large. It was HUGE - but I managed to finish the whole thing as it was delicious. My boyfriend had the steak which looked good also (but not as impressive as my red snapper). It wasn't cheap - but I would eat there again.

There was also a little restaurant next to the pool where complimentary breakfast was served in the morning. The breakfast I chose came with a big assortment of fresh local fruits, yogurt, granola and delicious coffee. Chris had the 'typical' style breakfast which consisted of gallo pinto and eggs. This was among the best 'complimentary' restaurant breakfasts ever - and the poolside ambiance was great. This restaurant also serves pizza which we didn't have the chance to try.

The property does have quite a few stairs, so I don't think it would be good for anyone in a wheelchair or with a walker. My knees give me a bit of trouble, but I was able to navigate the property without problems. However - during a downpour, we elected to head to the casino restaurant rather than the poolside restaurant so we could stay drier.

We arranged a mangrove tour through the desk, who made it very easy (but it rained the whole time on our tour!). We enjoyed the tour anyway, but decided not to go rafting in the rain the following day.

This is probably more geared to the fun adventure seeking crowd rather than the romantic honeymoon set - although our room was delightfully set up with artistically folded towels and flowers when we checked in.

A few years ago, we splurged (in a big way for us) and stayed at Gaia, the new super fancy (and expensive to boot) resort. Gaia is definitely fancier (and had a world class spa) - but Byblos made for a more comfortable, relaxing experience at a fraction of the cost. We will definitely stay here again. The manager (or maybe it was the owner? I'm not sure) made a point of greeting us at breakfast and inquiring about our stay. I thought it was a nice touch. Note that several years ago, we stayed at Byblos and had a good time, but they seem to have made a few improvements in customer service (things like calling someone to carry our bags to our room). A loaner umbrella would have been a great touch they could add.

All in all - a fun place to stay on the road between Quepos and the beach at Manuel Antonio. The services and staff met and in many cases exceeded my expectations. I would recommend this to others seeking a fun, adventure oriented base for exploring the Manuel Antonio area.

• Liked — Our beautiful private cabin and the fact that monkeys came right past our spacious porch!!!
  • Disliked — Lots of stairs to navigate.
3 Thank Hjorth
Colorado Springs Co
Reviewed June 8, 2008

We had a fantastic time in Manuel Antonio and totally enjoyed our stay at Byblos. This was our second visit at the same hotel If you like the feel of being in a tropical rainforest with a private bungalow and great service, this is the place for you.The atmosphere is low key, the staff extremely friendly and accomodating. I would and have recommened this hotel to friends and people I met traveling. We hope to have the opportunity to go back on an other vacation and will book at Byblos again.

• Liked — Food was great, people friendly & nice atmoshere!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank mtnghislaine
Utah, USA
Reviewed June 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed here in May with a group of friends. The staff was wonderful! I left my cell phone behind and they were kind enough to send it to my home in the U.S. at no charge! They also helped us set up the best day trips in the area.
The hotel itself it the most beautiful hotel in the area. The pool was cool and refreshing with a nearby restaurant that will serve drinks and food pool-side. The rooms were clean with great air-conditioning, huge showers and a balcony with views of the ocean. Free internet was also available.
From families to honey-mooners, I would highly recommend anyone stay here!

• Liked — Friendliness of Staff
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed April 25, 2008

We stayed at Byblos four nights early in our recent (3/21-3/30) visit to Costa Rica. We could have stayed longer, and next time we will. This time we had plans to move on to Arenal. The staff and setting are outstanding. We stayed in Cottage no. 1 which is very private, convenient, and offers commanding views of the property. We especially enjoyed sitting on the veranda at nightfall, listening to the jungle turn into "Jurassic Park." Several species of monkeys are the real stars of the show as they cruise through the property early in the morning and late in the afternoon.

• Liked — Staff and setting
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed April 20, 2008

I got the impression that Hotel Bylbos was going to be a big resort, but its not. (The casino -consisted of 2 blackjack tables and 1 roulette table... that did not have a roulette "wheel" they picked numbers out of basket like Bingo, which I thought was kind of odd.)

I had booked a Jungle Villa with a queen and single bed, but upon arrival they said they wanted to put a cot in the room for my teen age son. We decided to stay in a standard room instead. The room was OK. The bathroom door would not close but the room was pretty large and had a TV. The pool was nice and the breakfast was quite good. We saw monkeys in the evening.
"Si Como No" had a wonderful restaurant and I had wished we had stayed there. Two nights at the Bylbos ran $305 for a standard room. The location of the Hotel was good, not far from Manuel Antonio park and the shopping area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Was not worth the price
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank happytrails2uall
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Manuel Antonio has become quite the tourist destination - to the point of really being overrun. A nice point about Byblos is that they have a restaurant on the premises with a great outside dining area where you can enjoy food or a cocktail while overlooking the pool area as well as the portions of the forest they have managed to preserve. There are tons of monkeys here on the property - many more than we saw at any other location in Costa Rica. They did a good job with the food and the room, which was spacious. We stayed in a cabin - can't imagine not doing so. Very nice pool area as well.

The best part about this place is how honest they were. I accidentally left my camera at the restaurant and (in the haze of international travel with two children under 6) returned to the US without it, thinking my wife had packed it. I wasn't sure if it was at the hotel or in the rental car, but was frantic at having lost 1000 photos of an amazing vacation, plus a $1000 camera. I contacted Byblos and sure enough, a day later, they found it at the bar where a waitress had tucked it away for safety. They went so far as to drive it to the nearest city that had FedEx and shipped it home to us nicely packaged! Lifesavers!

• Liked — the honesty of the staff!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family