Byblos Resort & Casino
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I selected this hotel because of the reviews that i read about the abundance of wild life close by. When we checked in, I asked if we could see the monkeys from our room, and was told that most of the monkeys and sloths had migrated into the Manual Antoino state park at this time. I was disappointed by that response. But my biggest disappointment was the path that we had to take to get to our room. From the hotel check in location, we had to go down about 20+ steps to get to the landing where the restaurant/pool area was. (where the complimentary breakfast was also served). THen we went around the pool and down about 10 more steps. Then we walked across a bridge where a small creek ran below us, then up about 8 steps on the other side. Then we walked about 10 feet and up 7 more steps to the door to our room. The hotel provided someone to carry our luggage to our room which I would never have been able to do on my own.

The room was a descent size with a very small refrigerator and an old fashion microwave. The bathroom fixtures were outdated. THe balcony had a table and chairs which would allow you to eat a meal or snack out there. To prove that there was still wildlife around, I was awaken in the middle of the night by a repeated animal screech somewhere within 30-50 feet of my room.

The hotel staff spoke English well, and Juan Carlos was very helpful. The breakfast was cook to order from a few items on the menu. This was somewhat of a disappointment because I had just come from a hotel that had a full breakfast buffet.

I would not suggest this hotel for someone who may have problems walking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I had an amazing time staying at the Byblos Hotel. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were clean, and the food at the hotel restaurant was amazing! We had our own bungalow which really gave us the real jungle experience. Throughout the day I always saw monkeys and other animals on site at the hotel. We were never bothered by other guests staying at the hotel. All together it was very peaceful and relaxing to stay there. The hotel concierge was great and set up all of our excursions for the week. I would definitely recommend for other people to stay here. It isn't your typical fancy exotic resort, but it is great for the money we paid. I honestly had no complaints, the only people I can imagine who would... would be high maintenance individuals ;)

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in their bungalows for the REAL jungle vibe!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Well, OK: the title may sound too good to be true. Nevertheless, quite frankly, the only slight I can find in this beautiful, flawlessly managed resort is the occasional noise coming at night from the nearby disco-bar. Nothing that prevented me from enjoying a fantastic 2-day stay, which retrospectively I wish I could have prolonged.

This resort has it all: very professional, really friendly staff (notably, but not solely, Juan Carlos); crystal-clean swimming pool area with sun-loungers, overlooked by the restaurant / bar section, where you can enjoy the monkeys amusingly playing with each other; very large and tidy stand-alone wooden cabin with couched terrace, powerful ceiling ventilator fan, A/C, filter coffee machine, TV, working wi-fi, safe-box and a REALLY comfy queen-size bed. Local amenities are all within reach, either by the local frequent bus service or on foot (e.g. playa Biesanz). I can't believe this is just a ***-rated resort!

I do most definitely see myself returning to Byblos next time I drop by the wonderful Costa Rica.

Room Tip: All cabins looked pretty nice to me.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I can't count how many reviews I have read here about Byblos (pronounced Bee-Blose) but overall, they're pretty accurate. We stayed in the bungalows which is a must. We never were bothered by any noise in our bungalow which was very roomy, clean, and nestled in the jungle. The place is very tropical and pleasant. Yes, there are a bunch of steps everywhere you go, but that is the case most places around here. The general area is very hilly. The staff was super friendly and for the most part, spoke good English. It is a very good central location for the area restaurants and beaches. I highly recommend the beaches at Manuel Antonio and especially Playa Biesanz which are both close, but drive being its very steep one way with either. The food was ok, We ate the standard "Typical" breakfast but did not eat any other meals. The bar and casino were fun and the mix of patrons were fun and friendly. The pool area is beautiful and the monkeys do come everyday. I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Stay in the Bungalows!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

bed bugs, ants in coffee cups, and all over the shower, staff that doesnt understand english, worst casino ever. Far from a resort.
This place couldve completely ruined my trip.
Do not recommend, not even to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Just dont go there. i couldve add pictures, but im pretty sure you wouldnt want to see it. Just dont...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lolipop_303
Reviewed July 16, 2013

After a most unpleasant stay at a competitor's hotel, we booked two rooms at the Byblos for a comparable price. Though the online photos are somewhat deceptive, the rooms were nonetheless clean, large and comfortable and a HUGE step up from where we had been staying. Of note was the excellent service (Juan Carlos and Alexandra come to mind) and the great pool where the kids spent hours swimming, playing and lounging. Breakfast was included and served its purpose. Definitely a savings compared to having to eat in town. Recommend for families on a budget seeking a comfortable, spacious place to stay. There is free wireless access, but not in the rooms :(

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Wonderful staff, Alexandra, Juan Carlos, and Melissa were not friendly, but overall
extremely customer service oriented. The rooms view from the rooms, and the restaurant
gives guest the full jungle experience, especially if interested in wildlife encounters! The food at the restaurant is really commendable as well. Great place to feel at home while staying in Manuel Antonio.

Room Tip: The bungalos may be an attraction for most, but the regular rooms are also very comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo