“Worst of our trip”

Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
“Worst of our trip”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was the 3rd place we visited on our honeymoon. I will start off by saying the views were amazing.

That said. We started off to a very poor day. We arrived and did not have WiFi in the room as advertised by the front desk. I called about 3 times informing the front desk that it wasn't working and got 3 different answers for what was wrong and assurances it would be fixed right away. It did not work the entire stay. Well, except for one evening when it worked for about 2 hours randomly.

We had a small run in with a very large spider, which the staff handled very well. This was pretty unnerving on the first day, but I looked forward to the expensive romantic dinner I purchased from our honeymoon registry. The dinner was planned in Contempo, this little pool area with a bar. We had to go to the front desk to have someone show us where it was, because it's down a little stairwell that says "Do Not Enter". Which, in the dark, after running into that spider was not fun, but I still had hopes for a nice romantic dinner.

The dinner was awful. The table was set with plastic plates and silverware with plastic handles. A disco ball was going with lasers shining in our face the whole dinner. The staff was friendly, but occasionally sang to the songs that were playing. Which was not very romantic...

The dinner wasn't well explained. I had paid $250 for it beforehand and we were provided a menu with prices on it. After some prodding, we were told our limit for menu. The appetizer we had was calamari, which was awful, but at this point, I was in a pretty bad mood and just wanted to drink and forget the day. Our dinners were okay, but not what I would've paid $250 dollars for. We were given a dessert menu and we had a nice dessert, but when we tried to leave, a suprise cake was brought out. This was a nice gesture and the little bit of cake I had was good, but I wish someone would've mentioned that surprise before I ordered a dessert.

The breakfasts were also poorly explained as well. We were provided a menu for breakfast with prices on it the first day, and told after we ate that the breakfasts were covered. The eggs were extremely runny as well. We stuck to scrambled eggs the rest of the stay.

The bat bar was cool and the drinks were well made, but service was pretty slow. In general, the entire stay seemed like they could use a couple more staff members to attend to everyone, as most of of my experiences with the staff resulted in long waits or repeated calls.

The pool was really nice and had great views. The bar service was good, but when trying to leave, it would take quite a while for the bartender to get your check. We charged everything to the room anyways, but were tracked down one morning after not signing the check. I'd recommend having the ability to print the checks at the pool bar to expedite the process, as it appeared the bartender would go all the way to the front desk for the check.

I tried to change dollars to colones at the front desk, which the other hotels we stayed at were happy to do, but this one told me they had no change when I asked. This wasn't a big deal, but just another small thing that showed poor service.

One trip to the pool, there were no towels on the pool chairs. We went to the front desk to ask for towels and the receptionist told us they should be there, when we explained they weren't and there was no one at the pool bar, he told me "he would make an exception". This was another hit against service and just struck me as odd.

We had a bottle of wine given to us our honeymoon registry as well and when I tried to open it one night after a long night, we found we did not have a wine key in the room. When I called the front desk to ask for a wine key, they put me on hold and transferred me to the bat bar. The bartender told me it might be a while because he had people in the bar. This struck me as odd, as all I wanted was a wine key sent to my room. After about 15-20 minutes, the bartender showed up to open the bottle himself. Which was a nice gesture, but every other hotel we stayed at just had a wine key in the room if there was wine there for us.

I don't want to knock this place too much, but we had a poor experience. The room was nice and the view off the balcony was nice. But, overall we had a much better experience at the other hotels we stayed in while in Costa Rica.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt S
La_Mansion_Inn1, Owner at La Mansion Inn, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
I do apologize for your experience and assure you that after I talked to my staff, I am convinced they tried to do something very special for you by closing the pool area for your private dinner but my staff assured me that this was at your request and they had given you a variety of options on where to have your dinner. The reason for the plastic base plates is because this special dinner was served at the pool and did not cost anywhere near the amount that you wrote in your review. I understand that you choose to order of the regular menu, including a vegetarian dish and you had the option of sending back what ever you did not like as my personalized Welcome Letter indicated. Since the La Mansion Inn is located in the jungle and connects with Manuel Antonio National Park we have a full time pest control service but from time to time we do have insects. While we do make change at the Front Desk, for security reasons, we do not keep cash at the front desk but change is available during most of the day when our Accounting Department is open. We also do have a limited amount of extra cash available after hours for this purpose. I apologize for my staff singing and unless they know how to sing, agree that this is not very romantic. I also apologize for the time it took to bring you a wine opener/cooler. I truly hope you give me the opportunity to invite you back so I can personally take care of you. I do not want for anybody to leave less than satisfied especially not on their honeymoon. With 24 rooms we have 42 staff members which normally is sufficient to provide good/excellent service. I hope you take me up on my invitation..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Hebrew first
Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We traveled to La Mansion via van from the Peace Lodge about 3.5 hours away. We were tired when we got to the Inn and then found out our reservation was for December 8, not June 8. Well, after about 25 minutes of biting our nails, the hotel came up with a solution. They had spoken with our travel agent and fixed the problem. But...our two deluxe rooms were unavailable. So, the desk person took us on a short walk, upstairs and down a hallway and we ended up at the Presidential Suite! We also got an upgrade to a Junior Suite! They really stepped up and solved the problem.

The restaurant food was pricey but terrific. The only problem was the presence of ants in the Presidential Suite. We were told that was a big problem this year in Quepos, but the hotel did come and spray for the ants and continued to address the problem.

Taxis are $8 each way and only take 5 to 10 minutes to get to the Inn when summoned. We ate at a lot of local restaurants and had a wonderful time. The only reason the review is 4 out of 5 is because the ants were bothersome. Other than that, almost a 5!

Room Tip: Go for a view on the Pacific side if possible.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your review and apologize for the ants. While we do an active pest control service in place, from time to time we need to spray extra during prolonged rainy periods or when something sweet is left out. This is the downside from being in the Rain Forest. We check every room/suite every day during our regular checks but even then we need to go back occassionaly.
Grimes, Iowa
Reviewed June 5, 2013

From the moment we walked in to the lobby, Carlos at the front desk made us feel SO welcome! Because my friend was a "repeat guest" at their hotel, they gave us a free bottle of champagne (how unexpected!). We met Jesus at the pool bar, and he quickly became one of our favorites! He was so kind, interesting, and helpful (& makes a great drink! LOVED the Tortuga Verde, and the Blue Beard in the Bat Cave!!). When we forgot to "tab out" one day, he quietly came to our room & was so gracious about it! (FYI - hotel management: please try to find that young man a funnel - I think it'd make his job a bit easier! We tried to find one when we went shopping, to surprise him with, but we had no luck locally! He was so funny - he wrote the word "f-u-n-n-e-l" in his notebook!).

We had a bit of a "flood" in our room one evening, due to a problem with the toilet continuously running (we later learned the secret to getting it to flush & stop running). Both the maintenance and housekeeping staff took it very seriously, and got our room cleaned up in a jiffy! That's what's great about this small, "boutique" hotel - the staff is SO great!

The room was a great size, with two double beds, large closet, very COLD air-conditioning (so refreshing in this hot, humid region!), and we never saw any bugs in the room (YAY)! The hotel is very quiet, too - we rarely EVER heard anything from our neighbors (which may have been greatly due to the hotel not allowing young children). We got a great night's sleep every night!

Christopher waited on us most every morning at breakfast, and learned (quickly) that my friend doesn't deviate much on her breakfast selections, and by the 3rd day had her order memorized. That wouldn't happen at most larger (or chain) hotels! What a nice guy he is!

My only negative comments would be regarding 1) - the parking lot - it's very small (it only has room for about 6-7 vehicles). The hotel has expanded in size in the past few years (up to 26 rooms from about 14-16 previously), but the parking lot hasn't grown with it; and 2) - the bath towels could be larger! I wasn't even able to wrap one all the way around me! But I hope that'll change before my next visit - which I truly hope to have! And if neither of these things change, it'll STILL be a GREAT place to stay, so I'll still rate it as "excellent"!!

I TRULY enjoyed myself! You will, too!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carol N
La_Mansion_Inn1, Owner at La Mansion Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thanks for the compliments and they are much appreciatedI Rest assured that I will share them with my staff. Just as an FYI, we do have an additional parking lot available at the West side of La Mansion as we did recognize that one parking lot does not suffice.

God Bless...

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had nothing but good things to say about our stay. First, they upgraded us to one of the penhouse rooms! The view from the room was outstanding, but even better from the pool and upper deck. The staff was great to us. From the front desk to the bars, they were all friendly and talkative. The batcave was fun, but it is kind of a gimmick. It is very small and closes early. Breakfast was very good compared to the other hotels we stayed at on our trip. The shuttle service to the beach didn't run as often as we would have like but taxis weren't too expensive to get around either.

1 Thank Brian C
La_Mansion_Inn1, Owner at La Mansion Inn, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Much appreciated...

Owner
Washington D.C.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

After a 5 hour drive to get to La Mansion Inn, we were expecting a similar experience to the one we'd just left on other side of Costa Rica (which was awesome). We were hot, tired and ready to get the 2nd part of our vacation underway. We'd already arrived well after the check-in time and the room was still 'not ready'. After 30mins of waiting we "found the staff" and the room was finally ready. Problem: It was not the room we reserved, our reserved room had been given to someone else. Our issue: the room was assigned to us via the reservation and now it was not available. We were not happy with the alternative. After some 'negotiation' we were put in the 'Presidential Suite'!! The views from the suite certainly made-up for the mishap. As the days proceeded everything improved, including the staff and service. Although we had a much better experience at the previous hotel (which I purposefully will not mention for this review), La Mansion Inn was an experience we will not forget. Less said the better!

1 Thank TNT_DC
Sorry about this mishap... I do not quite understand what happened.. When people make reservations on line they select a specific room category; not a specific room. When people check in they are usually given a choice of room in the specific category unless we are full and have no wiggle room. We never put people in a room in a category they did not reserve for - if at all possible we upgrade whenever we can or if the room in the specific category is no longer available. I am glad my staff put your in our flagship presidential suite which is the absolute best we have in the five room and suite categories we offer.
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. You're given a tour of the grounds upon checking in and given a tasty, cold welcome drink to enjoy in the Sky Lounge, which has the most breathtaking, panoramic views of the Pacific. We had to go back to the front desk to let the staffer know we were ready to go to our room--we thought she'd come retrieve us--which was a small annoyance, but no biggie. The room impressed us. We booked the lowest category, so we weren't expecting the spacious bedroom with king bed, chairs and a coffee table. Our balcony was also a good size, with two lounge chairs and two sitting chairs with a table. The bathroom was also quite large with a big tub and vanity with plenty of room to place your things. There's no curtain or door around the tub, but the floor didn't get soaked while we showered (great pressure; took a bit to get warm) nor were we cold without the covering. Our room service experience was good; they deliverthat ed pretty quickly and were courteous. We called when we had finished and they were there shortly after to clear the tray and dishes. Our first evening there was the night of the gala referenced in that earlier review. We enjoyed the free drinks in Contempo, the private, covered pool area and we ate dinner beside the pool as a live musician played--a great start. Each complimentary breakfast was delicious with prompt service from staffers who seemed impeccably trained. The pool area is stunning and we loved the swim-up bar. We also appreciated the free cookies in the lobby. Bat Cave Bar is fun with a friendly bartender who kindly made me a delectable drink off the menu after I told him I liked chocolate. And we took the time to read the posters that explain the history of the area--gave us great perspective. The thing that most struck me is that it was obvious that problems past reviewers reported had been addressed; most hotels don't care that much, but this clearly did. Also, the bed's comfy and the a/c works well. My hubby liked the mini Snickers that come with turn-down service.

So why not 5 stars?

The ants at breakfast on the tables and the others bugs are a little annoying. It won't ruin your good time, and you get a heads-up about this in a one-pager when you check in ("we're in the jungle," it says). We saw a few small ants in our bathroom once, but mostly they stayed out of our room, no small feat, I'm sure.

Our first morning there, we planned to wake up at 8 am, but we were awoken at 7 to banging because they were doing some construction. I wish they begun this a little later.

We had to wait a half-hour to get towels at the pool area. The staff apologized for this.

We didn't drive, but our tour drivers complained about the parking situation and getting to the hotel.

The food is fine, and they make it clear that if you're not satisfied, you should send it back, but certain dishes are tastier than others.

The indoor dining room, which you have to use on rainy nights, is nice, but a little cramped. There's a mix of cushioned and hard seats in there, but the staff kindly let us switch when more comfortable seats were available. We had to rest our feet on uneven rock formations sometimes, though, which was fine for me, but uncomfortable for my husband. Also, 80's power ballads played in the room each night. It didn't fit the atmosphere, and as much as I love Heart and Richard Marx, we found this offputting. As we were leaving one night, the soundtrack switched to acoustic Spanish-language music, which seemed more appropriate.

But the incident that bugged me was our last night there. We were again invited to dine by the covered pool, which we were grateful for because we preferred that setting over the indoor dining room. The pre-set menu slipped under our door encouraged us to stray from the menu and request any dish we wanted. Wow, I thought. I thought of ingredients they had, like pasta alfredo and lobster, and requested this, adding a note that I understood if there would be an extra charge. My husband asked to swap in lobster and swap out shrimp in the surf and turf because he doesn't like shrimp. The front desk called to say these substitutions wouldn't be possible, even for an extra charge, and that they serve lobster only in the dining room. They were polite, but it was disappointing to be offered "anything you want," when you can't have it. So we asked that my husband get all turf--no shrimp--and I get all shrimp--no meat. They had to call me back to let me know if that was OK, which it was. After all that, we each received surf and turf. We switched ourselves, which was fine, but I would've preferred not to have gone through that back and forth.

The walk to Contempo isn't covered, so we walked in the rain to get there, which is fine, except the stairs and ramps are extremely slippery. On the way back, towels had been placed on the ground to prevent falls, which was smart. The bar area was crowded and tables were already set up, so we had to stand in the rain during the 2-for-1 happy hour.

The music at Contempo this night was also strange. I love Broadway musicals and similarly orchestral music, but "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" and "Con Te Partiro" each played three times in two hours. Not a huge deal, but just a little off in a setting with a disco ball, neon lights, flat-screen TVs playing Justin Bieber and Psy videos (on mute) and smoke.

The owner took the time to greet everyone personally, which was a nice touch.

All that said, we absolutely would stay here again and are glad our friends recommended to us, and I share this feedback because I know the hotel is committed to improving. Thank you for a great experience.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank meredithbd
Thanks for your review and rest assured that each comment is reviewed, both positive and negative. We keep close track of all follow-up to assure we keep our facilities in optimum shape. With five different room categories, some with different view angles, some with balconies, some with little gardens, in three buildings and each with a different theme the in jungle is not always the easiest to achieve. La Mansion is not a "cookie cutter" Inn and just because of this fact it is an appealing and charming property for the vast majority of our guests. We try to bend over backwards to please everybody but despite our best efforts sometimes we fail but rest assure we always try. We like to think that as we get older, just like a good bottle of Bordeaux we get better and better. However sometimes we experience a "bad cork" and need to get another bottle.
Dominical, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Every single person as extremely nice... they won me over on their hospitality. My wife and I got married last Saturday in California, and decided to Honeymoon at La Mansion Inn for 2 nights. Both her and I found ourselves saying over and over again throughout our stay, how happy we were with our hotel choice.

Plus, the free breakfast tasted really nice... I assumed the free part would be just one choice, and if you wanted any other option you'd have to pay for it... NOPE: you could actually choose any item from their normal breakfast menu, and it was complimentary from your room purchase.

Great view from our room (Penthouse 4), and everything was new and nice... great working A/C ect.

Again, I was most happy with the customer service, but the hotel is in very high quality and a very comfortable stay. "5 Stars"

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your nice review which I will share with my staff at my weekly staff meeting..