1,206 results
All reviewsbat cave barsky loungecosta ricaswim up barpresidential suiteamazing viewsour honeymoonboutique hotelbreakfast was includedplaya biesanzthe main roadmanuel antonio beachwelcome drinkwonderful hotelnational parkpool deckprivate balcony
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had nothing but good things to say about our stay. First, they upgraded us to one of the penhouse rooms! The view from the room was outstanding, but even better from the pool and upper deck. The staff was great to us. From the front desk to the bars, they were all friendly and talkative. The batcave was fun, but it is kind of a gimmick. It is very small and closes early. Breakfast was very good compared to the other hotels we stayed at on our trip. The shuttle service to the beach didn't run as often as we would have like but taxis weren't too expensive to get around either.

1  Thank Brian C
La_Mansion_Inn1, Owner at La Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Much appreciated...

Owner

Reviewed June 3, 2013

After a 5 hour drive to get to La Mansion Inn, we were expecting a similar experience to the one we'd just left on other side of Costa Rica (which was awesome). We were hot, tired and ready to get the 2nd part of our vacation underway. We'd already arrived well after the check-in time and the room was still 'not ready'. After 30mins of waiting we "found the staff" and the room was finally ready. Problem: It was not the room we reserved, our reserved room had been given to someone else. Our issue: the room was assigned to us via the reservation and now it was not available. We were not happy with the alternative. After some 'negotiation' we were put in the 'Presidential Suite'!! The views from the suite certainly made-up for the mishap. As the days proceeded everything improved, including the staff and service. Although we had a much better experience at the previous hotel (which I purposefully will not mention for this review), La Mansion Inn was an experience we will not forget. Less said the better!

1  Thank TNT_DC

Sorry about this mishap... I do not quite understand what happened.. When people make reservations on line they select a specific room category; not a specific room. When people check in they are usually given a choice of room in the specific category unless we are full and have no wiggle room. We never put people in a room in a category they did not reserve for - if at all possible we upgrade whenever we can or if the room in the specific category is no longer available. I am glad my staff put your in our flagship presidential suite which is the absolute best we have in the five room and suite categories we offer.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. You're given a tour of the grounds upon checking in and given a tasty, cold welcome drink to enjoy in the Sky Lounge, which has the most breathtaking, panoramic views of the Pacific. We had to go back to the front desk to let the staffer know we were ready to go to our room--we thought she'd come retrieve us--which was a small annoyance, but no biggie. The room impressed us. We booked the lowest category, so we weren't expecting the spacious bedroom with king bed, chairs and a coffee table. Our balcony was also a good size, with two lounge chairs and two sitting chairs with a table. The bathroom was also quite large with a big tub and vanity with plenty of room to place your things. There's no curtain or door around the tub, but the floor didn't get soaked while we showered (great pressure; took a bit to get warm) nor were we cold without the covering. Our room service experience was good; they deliverthat ed pretty quickly and were courteous. We called when we had finished and they were there shortly after to clear the tray and dishes. Our first evening there was the night of the gala referenced in that earlier review. We enjoyed the free drinks in Contempo, the private, covered pool area and we ate dinner beside the pool as a live musician played--a great start. Each complimentary breakfast was delicious with prompt service from staffers who seemed impeccably trained. The pool area is stunning and we loved the swim-up bar. We also appreciated the free cookies in the lobby. Bat Cave Bar is fun with a friendly bartender who kindly made me a delectable drink off the menu after I told him I liked chocolate. And we took the time to read the posters that explain the history of the area--gave us great perspective. The thing that most struck me is that it was obvious that problems past reviewers reported had been addressed; most hotels don't care that much, but this clearly did. Also, the bed's comfy and the a/c works well. My hubby liked the mini Snickers that come with turn-down service.

So why not 5 stars?

The ants at breakfast on the tables and the others bugs are a little annoying. It won't ruin your good time, and you get a heads-up about this in a one-pager when you check in ("we're in the jungle," it says). We saw a few small ants in our bathroom once, but mostly they stayed out of our room, no small feat, I'm sure.

Our first morning there, we planned to wake up at 8 am, but we were awoken at 7 to banging because they were doing some construction. I wish they begun this a little later.

We had to wait a half-hour to get towels at the pool area. The staff apologized for this.

We didn't drive, but our tour drivers complained about the parking situation and getting to the hotel.

The food is fine, and they make it clear that if you're not satisfied, you should send it back, but certain dishes are tastier than others.

The indoor dining room, which you have to use on rainy nights, is nice, but a little cramped. There's a mix of cushioned and hard seats in there, but the staff kindly let us switch when more comfortable seats were available. We had to rest our feet on uneven rock formations sometimes, though, which was fine for me, but uncomfortable for my husband. Also, 80's power ballads played in the room each night. It didn't fit the atmosphere, and as much as I love Heart and Richard Marx, we found this offputting. As we were leaving one night, the soundtrack switched to acoustic Spanish-language music, which seemed more appropriate.

But the incident that bugged me was our last night there. We were again invited to dine by the covered pool, which we were grateful for because we preferred that setting over the indoor dining room. The pre-set menu slipped under our door encouraged us to stray from the menu and request any dish we wanted. Wow, I thought. I thought of ingredients they had, like pasta alfredo and lobster, and requested this, adding a note that I understood if there would be an extra charge. My husband asked to swap in lobster and swap out shrimp in the surf and turf because he doesn't like shrimp. The front desk called to say these substitutions wouldn't be possible, even for an extra charge, and that they serve lobster only in the dining room. They were polite, but it was disappointing to be offered "anything you want," when you can't have it. So we asked that my husband get all turf--no shrimp--and I get all shrimp--no meat. They had to call me back to let me know if that was OK, which it was. After all that, we each received surf and turf. We switched ourselves, which was fine, but I would've preferred not to have gone through that back and forth.

The walk to Contempo isn't covered, so we walked in the rain to get there, which is fine, except the stairs and ramps are extremely slippery. On the way back, towels had been placed on the ground to prevent falls, which was smart. The bar area was crowded and tables were already set up, so we had to stand in the rain during the 2-for-1 happy hour.

The music at Contempo this night was also strange. I love Broadway musicals and similarly orchestral music, but "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" and "Con Te Partiro" each played three times in two hours. Not a huge deal, but just a little off in a setting with a disco ball, neon lights, flat-screen TVs playing Justin Bieber and Psy videos (on mute) and smoke.

The owner took the time to greet everyone personally, which was a nice touch.

All that said, we absolutely would stay here again and are glad our friends recommended to us, and I share this feedback because I know the hotel is committed to improving. Thank you for a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank meredithbd

Thanks for your review and rest assured that each comment is reviewed, both positive and negative. We keep close track of all follow-up to assure we keep our facilities in optimum shape. With five different room categories, some with different view angles, some with balconies, some with little gardens, in three buildings and each with a different theme the in jungle is not always the easiest to achieve. La Mansion is not a "cookie cutter" Inn and just because of this fact it is an appealing and charming property for the vast majority of our guests. We try to bend over backwards to please everybody but despite our best efforts sometimes we fail but rest assure we always try. We like to think that as we get older, just like a good bottle of Bordeaux we get better and better. However sometimes we experience a "bad cork" and need to get another bottle.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Every single person as extremely nice... they won me over on their hospitality. My wife and I got married last Saturday in California, and decided to Honeymoon at La Mansion Inn for 2 nights. Both her and I found ourselves saying over and over again throughout our stay, how happy we were with our hotel choice.

Plus, the free breakfast tasted really nice... I assumed the free part would be just one choice, and if you wanted any other option you'd have to pay for it... NOPE: you could actually choose any item from their normal breakfast menu, and it was complimentary from your room purchase.

Great view from our room (Penthouse 4), and everything was new and nice... great working A/C ect.

Again, I was most happy with the customer service, but the hotel is in very high quality and a very comfortable stay. "5 Stars"

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your nice review which I will share with my staff at my weekly staff meeting..

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is one of the most difficult reviews I have ever had to write because this hotel kind of has Jekyll and Hyde element to it. Although one event sealed the deal (see end of review)

I would rate this hotel as a 3 and half since it is better than average but not deserving of a very good.

First, the views from the hotel room are amazing. The room size was good. Cleanliness was pretty good although the maid missed a pair of underwear (left by the prior occupant) which was behind the door. So overall room was good and comfortable.

Second, customer service. Here is one area where it depends. Front desk staff was excellent and very professional. Wait staff for breakfast and pool bar were equally excellent. Now room service was a completely different story and so was baggage assistance or lack thereof.

On our first night we called for room service. Since no direct line we called front desk. Front desk told us that room service would call shortly. We waited 30 minutes and called front desk back. Front desk apologized and said they would have restaurant call immediately.

They did but seemed frustrated on the other line. We ordered Alfredo pasta as we are both vegetarians. Menu said option with pasta was either Alfredo OR chicken. The food arrives and after the staff left we realized it had chicken in it. The food was good but having to pick through it make it less enjoyable. To add to the frustration, the person who delivered the food told us to call him when we were done so he could pick up the plates. This made sense since having food in the room is not a great idea in the jungle.

So after we finished, we called about the plates. Again we waited a half and hour and no one came. Generally, I won't care but it was getting late and we wanted to go to sleep. So I had to call again. They came and we were able to go to sleep.

The baggage service was almost nonexistent. If I have to ask more than once for baggage help I will do it myself but wont be thrilled about it. Having stayed at several places in Costa Rica, I was surprised by this. When checking out I didn't even bother asking for assistance.

As for the rest of the service, excellent. Front desk was very friendly and helpful, Bar tending staff at pool was the same. Breakfast was good as well as was its staff.

The pool area was nice but could use a little extra love and care as several pool tiles were missing in both the pool and hot tub. But overall a nice pool and hot tub area. Plus swim up bar has excellent views of ocean so it was a good place to hang out.

So the main reason I gave this hotel a 3.5 (or 3 for overall rating) is the hotel had an event one of the nights we were there (For the U.S. Coast Guard).

I understand that hotels do these types of things but this hotel isn't really set up for it. The event took place in the lobby which meant we had to go through the restaurant to get to our room during the event. We also couldn't get past security because the hotel never took down our license plate or put our name on the list so that was frustrating. Are room was next to the band which played music until 10:30 pm. (In NYC that is fine but in a beach area where you get up early kind of frustrating)

However, all of that I could live with except when late at night guests of the event were roaming the halls drunk yelling about crabs crawling down the hallway. (Of course I assume it was guests of the event because the other nights we never heard a soul.)

The questions I have for management are why non hotel guests were even given access to that area of the hotel since there are only rooms back there and why they remained on the hotel grounds far after the event ended?

Bottom line, either you put your guests first or you don't. Based on this I couldn't give them 4 stars which is likely what they deserve but for the negative experiences arising out of this event.

Lastly, parking is a huge pain here as well. Only a few spots and not a lot of room to move your car especially when dealing with a steep driveway. Can't imagine how it is when the hotel is at full occupancy.

So in the end, I would still recommend this hotel but not as heavily as I imagine I would have but for the experiences discussed above. Based on the other reviews, I believe I simply caught them on a bad night but when you only visit a place once that is the only night that matters.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
La_Mansion_Inn1, Owner at La Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thanks for your elaborate review, appreciate your constructive criticism and I promise I will try to correct these minor issues to the best of my ability. As for the Costa Rica Coast Guard Dinner Gala I apologize that you experienced an inconvenience. As you might know, prior to the event I explained to every guest in writing that we would be holding this event at night and even offered a complimentary reception at our new in-door pool area where I not only could personally explain the reason for the event but also get to know each one of our guests. The reason the event was in the Main Lounge to begin with was because we not only expected heavy rains but also the Minister of Security and other high level law enforcement officials and we needed to apply some security measures. As I explained in my personalized letter to each and every guest besides owning the La Mansion, I also serve at the President of the Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Tourism and am very involved in our local community. To recognize our national Coast Guard officials for their fine service to this country on their 13th Anniversary was part of this effort. They work tirelessly and under very difficult circumstances to keep drugs out of the United States and for this and many other reasons I decided about a year ago to be the first person in 13 years to offer them this type of recognition by hosting this event which included Navy officials from several other countries including the United States. What we did not count on was that our hotel was unexpectedly fully booked this last week of the month and this created some of the difficulties and logistical problems you describe. I do apologize for this but at the same time I hope you understand that one of the reasons that by sharing our good fortunes we enjoy a constantly high occupancy because of our unfettered support for this small, but beautiful coastal community.

Owner