“Terrible idea to book this hotel”
Review of Hotel Si Como No

Hotel Si Como No
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn NY
“Terrible idea to book this hotel”
Reviewed January 27, 2007

1--unreliable reservations from this hotel;
2--unreliable communication regarding reservation policy;
3--VERY late notice of cancellation.

I saw a lot of positive reviews of this hotel and only 1 very negative, so I chose to ignore the negative review. Bad idea.
6 days after booking my hotel through Expedia I received a voicemail message saying that there was a minimum stay and because my booking did not meet it I could not stay there. I left the hotel a voice-mail message but have not heard back and am left wondering whether there will be a fight over return of my payment given the hotel's harsh cancellation policy. Book at your own risk!!!!!!

5 Thank BrooklynPassport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 23, 2007

Just got back a few weeks ago, and I just can't stop talking about how great the trip was.

Manuel Antonio (the park) is amazing. Some of the best beaches I've ever seen, and great for everything except snorkeling due to a lot of waves. Lots of wildlife, including monkeys and lizards, some of which we even saw at the hotel!

The hotel is great, and they managed to build 61 rooms with minimal disruption to the environment, mainly in small two-story buildings with 4-6 rooms apiece. This keeps things very quiet as well. I really enjoyed being able to walk outside and hear the sounds of crickets, birds, singing frogs and the occasional howler monkey very cool!

Breakfast was included with our rate, and it was excellent. Eggs cooked to order, fresh fruit, cereal, as well as plantains and rice and beans for a little bit of local flavor. My girlfriend asked for some ice for her coffee, and the waitress brought back a beautiful glass of iced coffee for her. Very cool.

Also, if you get up early for breakfast, check the big trees about 200 ft away from the restaurant for monkey activity. We had to get up early for excursions and our flight, and we say a troop of about 12 white-faced capuchin monkeys on a few occasions. Very cool, and a guilt -free pleasure since they're not interacting with people, being fed, trying to steal food (very bad for them.) They do, however, put on a great show!

Loved the staff. I speak virtually no Spanish, although my girlfriend is fluent. They were exceptionally friendly to both of us (and patient with me.) Everyone there speaks fluent English, but I really wanted to try out my broken Spanish, and they were nice enough to humor me. (GENUINELY friendly, too. Not Eddie Haskell friendly.) The front desk did a great job at setting up a canopy tour and an ocean kayak tour through a mangrove estuary (salt water, so no mosquitos!) I'd highly recommend both excursions, although folks with bad back problems should probably stay away from the kayaks.

There are two pools, one called the family pool, which has a water slide. The other one is the adult pool, and it is blissfully quiet. It's also the best place on the property to watch the sun set. It also features mankind's greatest invention, the swim-up bar.

We reserved really late (October) and were told that the property was sold out except for three small rooms (59, 60, and 61) that they kept available for walk-ins and seldom rented, but they told us we could reserve one for $150 a night. Hope I'm not giving away a secret, but this was an awesome deal for the week between Christmas and New Year for a slightly smaller room with all of the amenities. I'm saving to buy a condo, and it made the whole trip possible. The rooms were clean, and the bed was comfortable (a double, probably due to the smaller room.)

One piece of advice. We missed our connection to the Quepos airport from the International airport in San Jose. If it's going to rain, it seems to usually rain late in the day, so SANSA just schedules all of their flights before early afternoon. You might want to spend your first night in Costa Rica in San Jose to be sure you can catch a flight. And if you do, the Marriott is excellent too.

Stayed December 2006
Salem
Reviewed January 18, 2007

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the Si Como No and wished we had spent our entire vacation in Costa Rica at this hotel. We stayed in one of their standard rooms which is the least expensive but we still had a very nice room with a nice view. Paying more only gets you a better view. The hotel has two great restaurants with good food at reasonable prices. There are two pools beside which to relax and read a book. A troop of white-faced monkeys passed through on two occasions making you feel you really are in a tropical rain forest. The staff were very nice and welcoming.

San Diego
Reviewed January 18, 2007

TripAdvisor is such a great resource, after reading the reviews here we booked a room using the link on the TripAdvisor reviews page which went through Expedia. We received a confirmation from Expedia a month before our dates. When we arrived at Si Como No they would not honor our printed Expedia confirmation & said they were full. It was very inconvienient to have to look for another room after driving 7 hours to get there. They said that we had not confirmed it even though we were holding the confirmation.

Upon our return home I see that somebody from internationalvacation.com had emailed & called our home the day before our scheduled arrival to say they were out of standard rooms but we could upgrade. Pretty late for that since we had been in Costa Rica for weeks by that time & could not receive the message.

internationalvacation.com also referenced our credit card number in the email. I have contacted Expedia in this matter & they indicated they only gave the number to the hotel itself, internationalvacation.com should not have been involved. Smells fishy.

BEWARE! This could be you.

5 Thank SDSurfTraveler
new york
Reviewed January 8, 2007

For our second trip to Manuel Antonio, my boyfriend and I decided to wing it and choose a hotel when we arrived. For our first trip we chose to stay at Tulemar Bungalows which were nice but I wanted to change it up for the second visit. We stopped at two other hotels before settling on Si Como No. We decided to upgrade a bit on the room since we really wanted a view so we went with a deluxe which we knew would be pricey since Manuel Antonio is MUCH more expensive than the rest of Costa Rica.

The room they showed us was clean, had a huge bathroom along with an amazing terrace and view. The decor is classic upscale hotel for this area but as far as high end furnishings don't go expecting the W. The bathroom was exceptional though-totally modern and high end! There wasn't a TV but many places we stay in C.R don't have one so it was no big deal.

The kids screaming in the pool nearby didn't even bother us because we could go to our own (adult) pool and enjoy ourselves. I am glad that management limits the guests on the grounds not only for security reasons but because we were able to enjoy the pool and lounge in peace! We sampled food from all of the onsite restaurants and discovered it was so good we could just hang out and be lazy instead of running all over the main road trying to find food options. One restaurant is right at the pool so you don't have to move a muscle. The public beach is right down the road and there is a free shuttle provided by the hotel if we did want to move.

We were so relaxed we booked a massage at the Serenity Spa at the hotel. We recognized this spa from other hotels and cities during our travels. I had no problems at all with my treatment, in fact it was the highlight of our stay. They even arranged it so my boyfriend and I could enjoy our treatments together. No products were pushed on me and the manager asked us exactly what we wanted out of our treatment. It was thorough, friendly and professional.

Dinner at Claro Que Si was lovely, especially when begun early to take advantage of the stunning sunset. I would suggest ordering the fresh seafood offerings on the menu.

Overall, we left Si Como No feeling totally pampered by the friendly staff and without any complaints. We especially enjoyed how lush and fragrant the grounds were, watching for wildlife and just unwinding. Since we have stayed in Manuel Antonio before I have to say the only thing that beats Si Como No is the private beach at Tulemar bungalows, complete with sea kayaks and a full bar. We would have missed the spa, pool and restaurant experiences we had at Si Como No, though. It all depends on what you are looking for!
Pura Vida!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lotusveda
NJ
Reviewed January 7, 2007

We booked the honeymoon package for Si Como No for five nights and loved this place. We have no complaints. The staff was very warm and friendly. They helped us book everything we wanted to do. One night we were eating dinner at Makanda by the Sea and our waiter came to our table to let us know that our hotel called because our tour the next morning was full and they wanted to book us on a later tour and wanted to know if it was OK. I was highly impressed that they knew where we were and called us there to ask us. They are very attentive. The room was very nice and we loved the fact that it was eco-friendly. The pools were great. Breakfast was very good and offered a lot. The Serentity Spa was AMAZING! I do not know was the previous poster is talking about but we really enjoyed our couples massage.
I highly recommend this hotel. Manuel Antonio is a great place to go for beaches and wildlife as well as relaxing by the pool! We hope to return one day.

• Liked — The pools and swim up bars!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank theW'sNj
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 27, 2006

We visited Costa Rica and SI Como No in March 2004. The entire hotel is built to have minimum impact on the surrounding rainforest. At first glance, I thought the room was nice, but not anything special. As we spent days at the resort and in the room, I realized it had everything we needed and was perfect for the climate. We had a king bed, there was a built in sofa and seating area. The shower (no tub) was a cool hand tiled mosaic pattern. There was a mini fridge (we just took their sodas out and filled with our own snacks) and a small bar sink.
The two pools were fabulous, I spent most of my time at the swim up bar of the adult pool. The food at the complimentary breakfast was excellent, and I found they would make anything I wanted not on the menu. The restaurants have very good food for lunch and dinner. The staff were all extremely helpful and gave us outstanding attention.
Si Como No is the type of place where both familes and couples can equally enjoy themselves. Be sure to take a guided tour of the butterfly garden, very informative and beautiful. Make a appointment for a treat at the spa. It is small, but they offer great service. A few other notes about the hotel: they have a free movie theater showing family friendly films (in english) and are very close to the beaches on Manuel Antonio rainforest. Just take the complimentary shuttle bus to the beach and back.
I have been asking to go back since the day we got home. I hope to be able to take our toddler with next time.

• Liked — Incredible setting.
  • Disliked — Older bed linens.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book through [----] for great rates.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple