“Hated it!!!”

Parador Resort and Spa
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed October 30, 2006

This is by far the worst place we have stayed in, in Costa Rica, and by far the most expensive one. The room was small and smelly. we heard every little thing the family next door said or did.The balcony was small filthy overlooking a junkyard used to be a tenniscourt. We felt like we were placed in a basement or something. Sure, the place have many facilities, but most of them are extra charged and overpriced. We couldnt stay even one more minute, and left the hotel the next morning, first thing.
Many lovely places in Manuel Antonio (and even cheaper). Do yourselves a favour and stay away from the El Parador.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Maya_and_Udi
There are newer reviews for Parador Resort and Spa

Reviewed October 23, 2006

This is a very beautiful hotel. I have enjoyed my stay very much. I've always dreamed of waking up with such a view outside my bedroom and having your breackfast with an ocean view. Once seeing a whale in front of the coast while I was having dinner.

The staff also is very good! They are very polite, always trying to help you and very kind. If for example William, the guy from the tourdesk sees something he knows for you is very special, he will directly show you the tucan o whatever special animal shows itself.

What mostly impressed me is the romantic and perfect location of the swimming pools. If you are at the end of the pool, with a perfect cocktail from the poolbar (made by the very funny and good poolbarguys), enjoying the view you wish that moment would last forever.

I have to mention that the quality of the food is really good. Especially the buffets the sometimes have are unbelievable!

When something went wrong with the check-in we had excellent help of the guest service manager Sylvia and in no time the problem was solved.

Well of of these points together made our stay in the hotel to a perfect holiday!! I would recommend this to everybody I know. I also saw a wedding being helt in the hotel, well if I could marry again, I would definately choose to do so in this hotel!! It looke marvellous!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dreamscomingtrue
Reviewed October 14, 2006

We stayed here for our honeymoon, 4 nights in July, 2006.

Location

The hotel is perched on the top of a hill ovelooking the bay by Manuel Antonio National Park. We booked one of the best rooms, with a direct view of the bay. It was an absolutely amazing experience to wake up every morning and run to the balcony to see the beautiful sight. I wish I could see something like that every morning!
Our room was very clean, spacious, had AC, a huge bathroom, TV (which we never turned on....) and everything you might need.

Just perfect - polite personell, someone was always ready to help with a smile.
My only concern here is not with the staff at the hotel, but with the management: it was shocking to see the long hours that waiters and cooks are forced to work. The person serving you breakfast at 7am one day was the same person serving you dinner at 9pm, and then breakfast again at 7...

Unbelievable food! So much so, that we only ate at the hotel, something that we never do (we like to explore other places, and local cuisine).
Breakfast was too good to be true. The buffet was miles long and there was a never ending variety of dishes to choose from, always tasty.

Amenities

The Spa is excellent, there are two swimming pools, one for adults only (always empty, for some reason) and once for families with a swim-up bar. There is nature path to walk aroudn and see the wildlife, there is a library with books to take on loan...
The tour desk is very helpful, and will organize anything you want: rafting, horseback tours, scuba diving, jetski tours...

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank caseoane
Reviewed October 12, 2006

of all hotels we stayed during our recent Costa Rica trip HORRIBLE!!
This was hands down the worst hotel of our entire Costa Rican trip. We stayed only two nights and then checked out early and went to Gaia instead.

Here's why:

Nice pool but the pool is totally under construction now and will not be completed until December 2006. Be warned, your views will be totally blocked by black construction netting. The hotel did not tell us of this before we arrived.

Drink prices are outrageous, nearly $10-$15 for one cocktail by the pool. They can do this as you are so far removed from the other areas of Quepos and Manuel Antonio, they have you trapped!

Rude and very non friendly staff. Totally mis managed hotel. They checked us out by accident after only one day so the restaurant complained to us that we did not pay the lunch bill when indeed we were still checked in and it was a front desk mistake. We told the restaurant to please check with the front desk as we were still there but when they banged on our door at 8am to ask for cash for the lunch bill, that was the last straw.

We took the restaurant manager down the front desk ourselves and the front desk confirmed that they were in error. (seems hotel staff do not communicate with each other)

They eventually thanked us and apologized but not after the restauant made a huge scene with my traveling buddy thinking we were trying to skip the bill. It was very very rude on their part.

Taxis into town will take nearly 30 minutes to arrive at Hotel Parador which is far out on the peninsula and you cannnot walk either as the roads are very treacherous. (I did manage a morning walk and ended up breaking my sandals as there are many rocks and potholes, the road needs some serious repair)

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL, but instead choose another hotel on the main corridor between Quepos and Manuel Antonio Beach and village.

If you're a gay traveler stay at Villa Roca or Hotel Casa Blanca. If you are straight or gay stay at Gaia.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ABOUT PARADOR!!!! Don't ruin your trip by staying at a dump of a hotel. Bed linens are circa 1970 as are the room furnishings. Bathrooms have newer tile which offsets the cheap polyester shower curtains and Motel 6 like showers.

OH, we had no hot water for the first two days of our stay and the room next door to us had the same issues.

They also charge you $4 for 30 minutes of Internet . If you only need to send one email, it's still the same $4. They do not keep the remaining minutes for you.

This hotel is out for one thing, making money off every thing they can think of while pissing you off during the process.

And every single request from a guest must be logged by a hotel staff member which takes many many minutes while you stand around at the front desk and the management staff try and train their obviously very new employees.

I think the turnover rate at this hotel must be very high.

They offered a beach trail from the hotel but it was very steep, muddy and not at all passable. Very dangerous to anyone with less than good physical strength.

SKIP THIS HOTEL AND STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and I'm not talking the prices!

If I wanted to be slapped around by rude staff, I'd go to an S/M club in NYC.

Remember, this is YOUR holiday and not theirs. You have a choice.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
13  Thank sfcafox
Reviewed September 25, 2006

Hotel was great until we left-beware of the scams that the management pulls!! We went to CR summer 05. Long drive from SJ to Quepos. Arrived finally and the cool towels and cold drinks we're a great touch. The rooms were nice and clean (beds a bit hard). The breakfasts were fine. We had a great dinner there, the best lobster ever (we live in the bay area/CA)! The pool was nice accept the pool bar was dirty. Lots of bird droppings in the water that floated to the pool bar area. The bar was also very dirty and sticky wich attracted the flys and other insects. The bartender did not know how to make certain cocktails (best to go with a beer) I was not pleased with the pool bar. We charged many drinks/dinners/spa sessions to the room. When checking out we paid our bills in cash and left the hotel. Our next stop was Tabacon (the best ever, can't wait to go back to Tabacon). When we arrived at Tabacon, there was a message on our phone to call Parador. We called them and told us that one of the $100 bills was counterfeit. I'm sure this is a typical stunt that is pulled often. Just beware of their scams! I will never go back knowing the management runs this type of place considering the high price of their resort. We are going back to CR this July 07, (for our wedding thankful I came across this site to refrence the next place we stay at and was inrigued to write a review of the parador.) We can't wait to go back to CR, just not this place. Would of went back if weren't for the management.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled as a couple
15  Thank nattymistic
Reviewed September 16, 2006

We found our way to the Hotel Parador by sheer luck. We were booked into the Rancho Casa Grande and upon arrival found it to be sub standard. At 9:30 pm we were hoping for any clean room, and were so blessed by The Hotel Parador. We were greeted by hotel staff with cool drinks and scented, cooled towels to refresh ourselves. We had no reservations, however the staff put us in one of their superior rooms. From the moment we walked into the lobby we were in awe of the old world elegance of the hotel. The decor could not have been improved upon. There was a casual elegance and a warmth to this hotel. The staff made you feel like it was their joy to assist your in any way. The meals were on par with the best that Europe could offer. The views from this hotel were unsurpassed. The rooms were spot less, elegant and the beds were the most comfortable th that we experienced in our 14 days in Costa Rica. This is a hotel that exceeds your imagination of how travel should : feel, look, smell, and taste. The Ticos have an expression that sums it up, "PURA VIDA". I only hope to someday go back to the Hotel Parador!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Robert_Mark
Reviewed August 30, 2006

don't waste your time or money at this place. We stayed two days, originally booked a junior suite with a sofabed since there were four of us, got there the suite had no sofabed and they wanted to charge us $10 for a rollaway bed in additon to the $30 per person for 2 extra people and this $310 room had no view which is almost impossible in Manuel Antonio. Then wanted to go the jacuzzi by the pool to relax, cold water, after I explained to them that a JAcuzzi is not cold they sent me to the Spa the only jacuzzi with warm water, at the spa they told me only poeple with treatments scheduled could use the spa jacuzzi because of space issues unless I wouldlike to pay $20 for 45 minutes then they would have room for me. This place is ridiculous. The food at both the restaurants was some of the owrst I have had in Costa Rica. We checked out two dyas early and went to the Costa Verde got a room twice the size at half the price with all the same amenities and a great view.
Please heed my advice and avoid the Hotel Parador!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family