“Spectacular views and grounds”

Parador Resort and Spa
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed September 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Parador about ten days ago. The place is extremely well-appointed, with extensive grounds which include a nature trail where we saw monkeys, a sloth, beautiful birds, a great variety of tropical trees, shrubs and flowering plants. The hotel buildings are set on promontory several hundred feet above the ocean, with sublime views.

This is definitely a five star hotel in terms of level of service and facilities. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Visit the website for photos.

We did not eat lunch or dinner at the hotel, because the menu offerings and the prices looked almost exactly like they do in Key West, where we live. The breakfast buffet, which was included with our room, was extensive both in typical Costa Rican food (gallo pinto, fajitas, etc,) and in North American breakfast food, including an omelette chef. Europeans would not feel left out, either. Breakfast is taken on the balcony overlooking the grounds and the ocean. Be sure to leave enough time for breakfast before your activity for the day.

One word of warning if you are driving here: The small road from the main road out to the end of the promontory where the Parador is located is in deplorable condition for about 2 km. An SUV with high clearance definely helps. We rented an SUV at the San Jose airport , and we were glad we had one.

The hotel has a van, most tour facility operators have vans, and there are plenty of taxis, at least at this time of year. It really is not necessary to have a car here.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vidalegre
There are newer reviews for Parador Resort and Spa

Reviewed September 23, 2009

On arrival I was encouraged to upgrade my room to a premium plus for an extra $60 per night. I looked at the room and thought it beautiful so went ahead. Climbing the 124 steps to the room in the high heat and humidity of the day, I was told the elevator was being repaired and would be working in an hour. 3 days later their was still no elevator and my I was getting rather tired of climbing to the 4th floor after every meal or dip in the pool. The television also didn't work and after having it repaired once I gave up as I am did not really care about the tv very much. The spar treatments were very average and disappointing for the price, $90 for a 50 minute massage and $90 or a facial. The food was also pretty average, the dinner menu offering little for vegetarians. The pasta meal I ordered was so bad I couldn't eat it .
The staff were very pleasant but seemed to care little about our problems. I would have expected some compensation for 4 days with no elevator or tv in the room but none was offered. I will return to Manuel Antonio but not to this hotel. I do not feel it was good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I stayed at the hotel Parador over labor day weekend with some girlfriends and it was amazing. We were greeted by friendly people everyday and the staff made our stay even more enjoyable. The people of Costa Rica are kind are some of the kindest people I have ever met and Hotel Parador is the perfect example of this! From Jason at the front desk to William who planned all of our exciting excursions the Parador made our stay in Costa Rica unforgettable! Thanks again to the lovely wait staff whom was always attentive and pleasant!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed at Hotel Parador for 2 nights at the end of our Costa Rica vacation. It is a large property with many different rooms and views. We had reserved a jungle view hoping to see some monkeys. Unfortunately our room instead looked out over a tennis court. The rooms themselves were nice. The bathrooms had gigantic tubs/showers. There was a small balcony with a table and two chairs.

By far our favorite part of the hotel was the pool though. They have a separate pool for adults only but we stuck to the main pool with the swim-up bar.

Breakfast was included in our rate and had a wide selection. We used the tour desk to change one of our tours that was already pre-booked and also to book an additional tour.

Beware that the walk down to the beach (or more accurately up from the beach) is pretty strenuous in the heat of midday. You have to do a little hiking through the woods and then up a very steep road to get back to the hotel.

One downside was that the hotel is situated at the very end of the road. That makes for great views but very hard on cars and you are not able to walk anywhere. Next time I think I'd get a hotel closer to the top.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluefrog626
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I stayed at the hotel for a week and we had a great time, the rooms were pretty good, spacious and clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. They even helped me find good places to visit. I had a great experience overall.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We were married at the Hotel Parador last month. We were very pleased with the resort, its staff, the wedding, our room, the views, and the pool. We wanted a stress free wedding and that is what we got. Sylvia and her staff took care of everything. And the end result was perfection.

Our room was nothing out of the ordinary but it was clean and modern and comfortable. The view from the balcony was breathtaking, as our room looked out onto the water.

The fitness center was a bit disappointing and the food was good but not exceptional. The resort is a bit remote so there doesn't seem to be a lot to do in walking distance, but they do offer shuttles to the beach and there are a lot of adventures to go on. We went on the tour of Manuel Antonio National Park. I would highly recommend it...saw tons of great wildlife.

The pool, the wildlife that has been incorporated into the resort, and the friendly staff are the resort's best features. We thought the hotel was reasonably priced for what it provided. I've already recommended it to numerous friends that are interested in going to Costa Rica. We are already talking about going back to celebrate a future anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trmajor23
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We got married at the Hotel. We had excellent service, the staff was great. Our room had a beautiful view and was gorgeous. The food was excellent and our wedding was great. We got married down in the little gazebo in the jungle overlooking the ocean. We saw sloths hanging from the trees, monkeys everywhere, it was great to see all the wildlife.

• Stayed: February 2009