“Wonderful Hotel, Staff extremely helpful.”

Parador Resort and Spa
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I purchased a groupon to stay at the Hotel Parador for four nights. From booking the room to checking out the entire staff went above and beyond to help. The hotel was fully booked for the groupon that I purchased but Moises found a way to reserve a room for me. The hotel is about 2.5 hours outside of San Jose but it is well worth the time to get there. Tip to people driving and using GPS: Hotel Parador is not on the GPS from rental car companies. I stopped at Alamo in Quepos and they gave me a map so I entered in a nearby hotel on the same road.
Check-in was a breeze. I was welcomed by Beatriz who took my luggage from the car to the lobby and would later help me find an ATM. While I was checking in I was given a welcome drink and cold towel which was much appreciated after a long drive and the humid, hot weather. Rafael at the front desk informed me that they upgraded my room to the newer adults only building. I was then driven in a golf cart with my luggage to my room.
The room was larger than I expected with nice, up to date decor, big bathtub, separate shower, king size bed, flat screen tv, balcony, and outdoor jacuzzi. The bellman informed me of where all of the light switches were and pointed out the chocolate covered strawberries and bottle of champagne, compliments of the hotel (both were delicious). Room 1502 overlooked a fountain and private pool. I had no problems with water pressure, water temp, or air conditioner.
The grounds are meticulously kept with an abundance of flora and wildlife. There are plenty of staff tending to the grounds who are all very friendly saying hello every time you passed them. I only visited the private adults pool which was clean every day and plenty of towels set up for guests.
I visited the spa which was really nice, allowing you to use the facilities if you were getting any services done. They give you a welcome drink as well and show you the cold water pool, jacuzzi, steam room, etc. After my appointment, I was given a fruit plate and parfait. It was truly relaxing.
The food was good, not excellent. On a side note, I was in Costa Rica for a month and the food there is really good, simple. It may not be the extravagant meals that you may be used to, but it still is good, clean food. So back to the restaurants, the breakfast buffet is included. Never had to wait for a table. They had an omelet station, a variety of hot items, fruit, pastries, yogurt, and juices. Mercedes at the main restaurant was always smiling. I ate most of my lunches at the restaurant located by the private pool. They have a nice selection and a decent number of vegetarian options. The view from the restaurant is amazing and offers a welcomed breeze. I had two dinners at the main restaurant that were nice as well and the servers were all very attentive. Ordered room service twice, both times the food was delivered quicker than told.
The hotel also provides a free shuttle to and from the beach in Manuel Antonio and the National Park. If you go through the national park make sure you pay for a guide. It is well worth the money b/c you will not be able to see a lot of the animals without one. The shuttle will also drop you off at a different destination if it is on the same route. This was really convenient.
The closest beach to the Parador was less than a 10 minute walk. Small, but quiet. There were a bunch of monkeys in the trees when I was there. You can also rent kayaks and snorkel equipment on the beach.
Overall, I would absolutely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to anyone in the area. Special thanks to Rafael (Front desk), Moises (Reservations), Mercedes (Hostess), and Beatriz (Lobby) for all going out of their way to help make my stay more enjoyable. Pura Vida!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Sari2223
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Parador Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

What can we say but a huge GRACIAS for your fantastic and very detailed review! We will definitely let Moises, Beatriz, Rafael and Mercedes know that you send them your thanks for helping make your Parador experience so enjoyable, as service is precisely what lies at the heart of all we do. You truly took advantage of everything our resort and Manuel Antonio had to offer—that's pura vida, amiga! Please come back and visit anytime :)

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were greeted with drinks and warm towels upon check-in, the room was gorgeous, and the pool was so relaxing. We saw white-faced monkeys from one of the bar areas. The beach is only a short walk away and is lovely. I loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Carlos C, Guest Relations Manager at Parador Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Alyssa,

We are so happy to hear about your experience in Parador. Most importantly, that you truly enjoyed every minute of it! Thank you so much for sharing your experience in this forum. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Although this is a rather large resort, it still has a lovely feel and the staff were all so friendly and helpful. Our room was on the corner of the top floor of one of the buildings and so we had a wrap around view of the ocean, mountains, cliffs, etc. Just gorgeous! And we saw SO many birds from our balcony, in addition to being at eye level with the howler monkeys! The resort was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The food in the restaurant was delicious and there were several swimming pools so none seemed to get too crowded. We walked down to the beach, which took about 10 minutes, and it was located in a quiet, beautiful cove. Perfect for swimming and bird-watching. I should say that the water in the pools and at the beach was incredibly warm. It was really like taking a bath, so not very refreshing on a hot day, but still beautiful! I was ill one day (something I ate, but NOT at the hotel) and the hotel staff could not have been more helpful to me and my husband. They had a lovely female doctor and male paramedic sent to our room and they cared for me for an hour (IV fluids and medications). The hotel also arranged to have my prescriptions filled and delivered to our room quickly. And the next day, when I ventured downstairs, many different staff members inquired as to my health. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Since the hotel is built on the sides of hills, I think many rooms would have a nice view. We loved...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Susan,

Greetings from Parador! Thank you so much for sharing your experience about your stay in this forum. We were delighted to have you as a guest and, most importantly, that you healed quickly so you could enjoy the natural beauty, exotic wildlife and amenities that we have to offer. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future. Pura vida!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Our expert travel agent from Costa Rica Expeditions brought us to our last stop In Costa Rica on the Pacific coastline. Our room overlooked the Pacific, if we looked past the two Guarumo trees, which often had White-throated Capuchins, Spider Monkeys, fiery-billed Aracaris and Green Iguanas. The trails located on the property can bring you down to the beach but the night tour of the ponds and frogs were spectacular. It is located a few minutes from Manuel Antonio National Park which is a fabulous experience. The guide from the hotel was in love with the park and we got to experience it like a native. He located and named all the animals we hoped to see.
The dining experience was better than average in a lovely setting. The pools were fabulous including 2 secluded adult pools that were perfect for us. The spa and hot tub was an added pleasure. It embodies the spirit of Pura Vida!

Room Tip: The fourth floor rooms (410) have a small "lift" that takes you up to your room with a gre...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robin G
Lydia G, Manager at Parador Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Ah, what can we say? It's always a thrill to read when our guests truly immerse themselves in the experiences our resort—and our beautiful country—have to offer. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to our little corner of Paradise. Pura vida, amigos!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stayed at The Parador for 3 nights at the end of a tour of Costa Rica. The hotel is in a lovely location but you have to drive or get a taxi to local restaurants. The hotel has restaurants but they are expensive, cheapest wine being $36 a bottle. Food was often disappointing in quality, although the Happy Hour from 6-7 was good as were the bar snacks. On a couple of days they closed a number of facilities eg swimming pool and restaurant, due to private wedding events which we think is unacceptable. On a positive side, everywhere was very clean, nice rooms and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Premium rooms have a lovely view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John D

Hello and thank you for your kind comments, especially about the service! Our personnel really strives to make everyone feel at home. Regarding the closures for the weddings, brides many times prefer to have their events in private for their family and friends, and since our hotel has so many lovely areas and pools we feel our guests would not be too inconvenienced by allowing the couple to enjoy their dream wedding events for a few hours at a time. We appreciate your patience and and look forward to seeing you again at Parador!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

The Parador is simply a beautful hotel on beautiful grounds. The staff is outstanding in all areas. Special kudos to Beatriz and Marianella for making sure things worked out for us and arranging transportation to and from San Jose Airport. My wife and I loved our 5th floor suite with an INCREDIBLE view from our balcony (which had one of our 2 hot tubs). The Monkey Walk was so cool. Food at the small restaurant next to a pool was so good. Main restaurant was ok. Near best beaches and National park. Mary's rental was great at public beach. Took mangrove tour thru hotel. Was awesome. A monkey jumped on and off our boat. Try Vacation Buggy excursions. Loved them. Don & Luis are great. Had near perfect vacation here. Land and beaches are incredibly beautiful. All the locals were friendly and helpful. Dont miss this.

Room Tip: Suites are pricey but worth it. Higher rooms have amazing views from balcony. Some rooms require a l...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank learlybird2016
Carlos C, Manager at Parador Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Parador! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your suite, resort amenities, mangrove tour, and most importantly, the essence of Costa Rica. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you for your comments about Beatriz and Marianella. We'll share with them! Pura Vida!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We switched to this hotel mid-trip from an awful condo in Quepos, and wow were we not disappointed! The staff is super-friendly, the food is excellent (tons of vegetarian options), and the pools are just heaven (though they're missing a hot tub, which is slightly annoying).

There are iguanas and monkeys around the hotel and there's always something to do, whether it's hiking the hotel's monkey trail or indulging in a massage at their fabulous spa.

Only minor gripe is that the ground floor rooms need a bit of an update. The floor tile was a bit cracked and the bathroom was meh. The hotel grounds definitely made up for that though.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca R
Lydia G, Manager at Parador Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Pura vida, amigos! Thanks for your kind review. The great outdoors is truly our biggest attraction—though we strive to ensure our service is a close second. Thanks for letting us now about the room concerns—we will look into it, as we're planning on doing some refurbishing of our ground floor rooms in the near future. And just FYI, if you book a room in the Vista Suites next time, you get a private Jacuzzi in your balcony!