“Poor for this area”

Hotel Casitas Eclipse
Ranked #40 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The hotel is ideally located, a 20 minute walk from the beach (uphill) and near several nice places to eat. We also saw lots of toucans, monkeys and other wildlife just down the road which was amazing! It's a safe and relaxed area.

Sadly, the hotel itself is very dated and falls way behind the many lovely ones in the area. The restaurant is best avoided and the room wasn't very well equipped or clean. The service was fair but not great. I would avoid and maybe spend the extra for somewhere nicer. 2* at best.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DAVID S

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Overall fair, would not use again. Everything here was worn out. Kitchen appliances, towels, hardware were all dated and very worn. One bright spot was a friendly and helpful staff. Is very close to ma park and decent restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 19, 2013

First the good-The location and the grounds of the hotel are old but very beautiful. The staff in the restaurant was wonderful. The floors and bathrooms in the rooms were impeccable. It has a fabulous and interesting trail in the back that is a must-see. With very little expense, this hotel could be wonderful. There were a few ants in the room but this IS a tropical climate so that didn't bother us at all. I loved the little balcony with a standard room and table overlooking the pool. The bad- dusty spray painted lamp shades, old comforters and "pilly" sheets, no coffee in the room for a country known for it's coffee. For me steps were not an issue but if you are handi-capped in any way by steps or have brought too much luggage, choose another hotel.

If you get a good rate and decide to stay here, some recommendations... Take the city bus into Quepos for food. The family owned restaurants or Sodas are very good and cheap. Don't worry about crowding onto the bus. It's only a few minutes ride and only about 50 cents per person, rather than $10.00 for a taxi. You will pay at least two or three times the amount for food in Manuel Antonio. The bus loops back and forth between Quepos and Manuel Antonio every 20 minutes so don't worry about getting back to the hotel. Bring some instant coffee if you want coffee in your room before breakfast. The staff at reception told me this hotel costs $125.00 to $150.00 US per night. I don't know for sure since it was part of a package but it is not worth that. The photos of the grounds are accurate--it is quaint and beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank RuthP33418
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After I read the other reviews, I was a little worried about this hotel. No reason! The grounds are beautiful and kept impeccably clean, and the view from our room was spectacular. Our room was very nice -- better than ours at home (and with three beds... I kind of felt like Goldilocks), and the bathroom was also nice -- again, better and larger than ours at home (in the U.S.). The shower was huge! My husband and I found our bed to be quite comfortable, though it might not look that way in the photos on the hotel's website. The air conditioning and fans worked great. It was really nice to have a refrigerator in the room, because as anyone knows, any food items would need to be shut away to discourage ants and such. We even put our dry goods (pretzels) in there. One of the best parts of the room was right outside the room -- a nice table and chairs where we could read, enjoy a glass of wine, and listen to the birdsong. It was also great for the night we had an intense rainstorm/thunderstorm -- we sat out there for an hour, until the rain got too heavy.

I only swam in the pools a couple of times (we really had only 4 full days there, though we stayed 5 nights). Very nice. What a location for a peaceful swim!

Yes, there are lots of steps, but they are shallow and easy -- just don't rush! I found that they provide a nice feeling of privacy as the paths branch off to different casitas and rooms. Remember: Pura Vida!

The attached restaurant, Ristorante Gato Negro, was good. We only ate there one night, though, because I don't like eating in an empty or nearly empty restaurant. We eat early; I think most customers came a little later. The food was good, the ice cream excellent, the service fantastic. The "included" breakfasts offered a nice variety of options -- I think the "tipico" was the best. Our waiter was nice and on the last day made us a special juice because we could not drink orange juice.

We spent three of our evenings at El Avion, which is across the street from the hotel. What a fantastic view! That was the major draw for us; the food was good, but nothing to rave about. The service from the wait staff varied from excellent to mediocre, depending on the night and our table's location, but we always got what we needed even if we had to waive the waiter over. And we always got a table with an expansive view of the ocean.

I found that everyone was quite gracious and friendly. Folks spoke English, but like anyone, were more comfortable speaking in their first language. They accepted my Spanish readily, and were even kind enough to compliment me on it.

The hotel will set you up with tours; we too the mangrove boat tour -- wonderful! I would do that again also.

Finally: Transportation: So easy! Just take the bus -- for 280 colones each person -- either into Quepos or to Manuel Antonio National Park. Buses run every 15-20 min., and the hotel can change money for you (also, the bus driver will make change).

I hope your stay here is as nice as ours was.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 304. Nice tile floors, nice big shower, great view from the shared balcony. Plus...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Colo_kea
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I read so many bad reviews of this hotel, I was seriously considering sleeping on our tour bus rather than here. This turned out to be our favorite hotel in our 13 day tour of Costa Rica! The grounds were beautiful, the bed surprisingly comfortable, the A/C kicked some butt. One morning we had a family of toucans outside our room, and the next morning we had a troop of squirrel monkeys! Now, I'm not saying it can't use some updating. But honestly it was so much better than we expected that I was thrilled. I loved it that our room was more like a suite or an apartment. We had a huge table outside so we could sit and watch the wildlife. We didn't swim because we were honestly too tired from other activities. We walked across the road and had a great ocean view. This really isn't anything fancy, but it was very homey. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Erin B
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My initial reaction was, "This is a beautiful site!" However, after closer examination I was wrong. I think my biggest problem was the bugs everywhere. There were dead beetles, bees, and mosquitoes around the room and it was a major turn-off. I know this is a humid area, but I am not sure the staff did a thorough job cleaning the dead bugs on the windows and room corners.

Another huge issue was the shower. The shower head was damaged and the water sprayed everywhere. It was not a good functional shower head, but I told myself that I was only staying 2 nights so I would deal with it. Also, they did not have any shower curtains/sliding doors so the water sprayed to the floors. The toilet would only flush if you hold it for longer than 5 secs. Another issue was the tv, because the reception was poor quality.

I did enjoy the refrigerator and the breakfast food at Gato Negro was delicious. I thought the bed was a bit worn out and lumpy, but I did have a good sleep either way. The candles were a nice touch. I also liked the terrace and the table and chairs to sit outside. The pool looked great as well, but I didn't get a chance to go in. The staff were really nice and helpful with directions. The bus to Quepos is right outside and there are many restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lori B
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The best things about this hotel: beautiful grounds - lots of cared for gardens; "chico" the dog that would come visit our room; El Avion across the street; huge frog that came to "visit"; tiny geckos everywhere.
The outside of the room was nice in that we had our own veranda to sit on.
The inside of the room was just ok - average clean/comfort. We did have to ask a couple of times for clean towels. Staff were ok to deal with. Our room was tucked away in the back of the hotel grounds - it did make us a little nervous to leave valuables in the room - lock on the door would be easy to break into.
Manuel Antonio park is a short drive from this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple