“Would Stay Here Again in a Heartbeat + Bring Family & Friends = Pura Vida!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casitas Eclipse

Hotel Casitas Eclipse
Boulder, Colorado
“Would Stay Here Again in a Heartbeat + Bring Family & Friends = Pura Vida!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

After I read the other reviews, I was a little worried about this hotel. No reason! The grounds are beautiful and kept impeccably clean, and the view from our room was spectacular. Our room was very nice -- better than ours at home (and with three beds... I kind of felt like Goldilocks), and the bathroom was also nice -- again, better and larger than ours at home (in the U.S.). The shower was huge! My husband and I found our bed to be quite comfortable, though it might not look that way in the photos on the hotel's website. The air conditioning and fans worked great. It was really nice to have a refrigerator in the room, because as anyone knows, any food items would need to be shut away to discourage ants and such. We even put our dry goods (pretzels) in there. One of the best parts of the room was right outside the room -- a nice table and chairs where we could read, enjoy a glass of wine, and listen to the birdsong. It was also great for the night we had an intense rainstorm/thunderstorm -- we sat out there for an hour, until the rain got too heavy.

I only swam in the pools a couple of times (we really had only 4 full days there, though we stayed 5 nights). Very nice. What a location for a peaceful swim!

Yes, there are lots of steps, but they are shallow and easy -- just don't rush! I found that they provide a nice feeling of privacy as the paths branch off to different casitas and rooms. Remember: Pura Vida!

The attached restaurant, Ristorante Gato Negro, was good. We only ate there one night, though, because I don't like eating in an empty or nearly empty restaurant. We eat early; I think most customers came a little later. The food was good, the ice cream excellent, the service fantastic. The "included" breakfasts offered a nice variety of options -- I think the "tipico" was the best. Our waiter was nice and on the last day made us a special juice because we could not drink orange juice.

We spent three of our evenings at El Avion, which is across the street from the hotel. What a fantastic view! That was the major draw for us; the food was good, but nothing to rave about. The service from the wait staff varied from excellent to mediocre, depending on the night and our table's location, but we always got what we needed even if we had to waive the waiter over. And we always got a table with an expansive view of the ocean.

I found that everyone was quite gracious and friendly. Folks spoke English, but like anyone, were more comfortable speaking in their first language. They accepted my Spanish readily, and were even kind enough to compliment me on it.

The hotel will set you up with tours; we too the mangrove boat tour -- wonderful! I would do that again also.

Finally: Transportation: So easy! Just take the bus -- for 280 colones each person -- either into Quepos or to Manuel Antonio National Park. Buses run every 15-20 min., and the hotel can change money for you (also, the bus driver will make change).

I hope your stay here is as nice as ours was.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 304. Nice tile floors, nice big shower, great view from the shared balcony. Plus...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Colo_kea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Pittsburg, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I read so many bad reviews of this hotel, I was seriously considering sleeping on our tour bus rather than here. This turned out to be our favorite hotel in our 13 day tour of Costa Rica! The grounds were beautiful, the bed surprisingly comfortable, the A/C kicked some butt. One morning we had a family of toucans outside our room, and the next morning we had a troop of squirrel monkeys! Now, I'm not saying it can't use some updating. But honestly it was so much better than we expected that I was thrilled. I loved it that our room was more like a suite or an apartment. We had a huge table outside so we could sit and watch the wildlife. We didn't swim because we were honestly too tired from other activities. We walked across the road and had a great ocean view. This really isn't anything fancy, but it was very homey. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Erin B
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My initial reaction was, "This is a beautiful site!" However, after closer examination I was wrong. I think my biggest problem was the bugs everywhere. There were dead beetles, bees, and mosquitoes around the room and it was a major turn-off. I know this is a humid area, but I am not sure the staff did a thorough job cleaning the dead bugs on the windows and room corners.

Another huge issue was the shower. The shower head was damaged and the water sprayed everywhere. It was not a good functional shower head, but I told myself that I was only staying 2 nights so I would deal with it. Also, they did not have any shower curtains/sliding doors so the water sprayed to the floors. The toilet would only flush if you hold it for longer than 5 secs. Another issue was the tv, because the reception was poor quality.

I did enjoy the refrigerator and the breakfast food at Gato Negro was delicious. I thought the bed was a bit worn out and lumpy, but I did have a good sleep either way. The candles were a nice touch. I also liked the terrace and the table and chairs to sit outside. The pool looked great as well, but I didn't get a chance to go in. The staff were really nice and helpful with directions. The bus to Quepos is right outside and there are many restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lori B

Travelers are raving about these Manuel Antonio National Park hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The best things about this hotel: beautiful grounds - lots of cared for gardens; "chico" the dog that would come visit our room; El Avion across the street; huge frog that came to "visit"; tiny geckos everywhere.
The outside of the room was nice in that we had our own veranda to sit on.
The inside of the room was just ok - average clean/comfort. We did have to ask a couple of times for clean towels. Staff were ok to deal with. Our room was tucked away in the back of the hotel grounds - it did make us a little nervous to leave valuables in the room - lock on the door would be easy to break into.
Manuel Antonio park is a short drive from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ramona106
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just returned from a Gate 1 tour of Costa Rica. I had read the reviews of the Casitas Eclipse and figured forewarned is forearmed. What a pleasant surprise to find an adorable hotel with great little villas all stacked on a hillside bordering on the national park. There were so many birds, monkeys, lizards and toads it felt as if we were right in the jungle. The landscaping was beautifully maintained, and the villas very clean, if simple. Yes, lots of stairs going in all different directions, which in my opinion added to the charm. If I were to return to Costa Rica and Manuel Antonio, I would surely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room 202 was at the top, next to the road. We were not bothered by traffic noise and had a view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank holl314
Waterloo, Ia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel was nice, as it had apartment style rooms. There was a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath. It was right on the bus route to the city or the National Park. There were steps to everywhere. The pools were not very clear, but I'm not sure how you would keep them that way. They seemed to do the best they could.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JDWLOO
Port Isabel, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

These were at one time two story apartments. The rooms are very old and out of date. The TV is in the living area and a half bed is also. The sofa is built in the wall partition and the TV sits behind the sofa. Each room is either up or down the mountain so you have to climb one way or another. The restaurant is a very strenuous climb up especially for the elderly. There is no Wi-Fi except from the upper heights of the complex. The pool was dirty and not very well kept as was the whole hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends