“Family Dinner at La Cantina”
Review of La Cantina BBQ

La Cantina BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We took our grown children and their wives/So's here for our last night in Manuel Antonio. It is true that the same owner has several restaurants in the area.

At first I was a little annoyed because our waiter was not willing to grant any flexibility on the menu. With one pregnant lady in our group, that was a bit inconvenient. But after he consulted with the chef, he agreed to substitute at an additional charge.

We ate at a couple of the other establishments also and the food was about the same at all of them. Good, not exceptional and a little high on the price.

The atmosphere is open and comfortable and we could hear the live music downstairs, but it did not interfere with normal conversation. For a tourist restaurant it is what you would expect.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Food was less than par for the price! They promote this place because the owners have five restaurants along the same street. It's just a tourist trap with the smallest piece of steak I have ever seen. Along with the fact that the shrimp was so overcooked it was like chewing a rubber tire. Save your money and go down the street to red beards its much better!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Need I say more? The food was the best we had the whole trip and a live band we playing local music that added ambiance. They really know how to cook a tender chicken and a rib eye steak. Great food for a reasonable price

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We ate at La Cantina after a long day at Manuel Antonio park. My husband said the steak he had (special that day) was marinated to perfection, and my whole red snapper, which I believe was wood-fire grilled, was near perfect. The accompanying vegetables were tasty, the service was good, and although the dessert (chocolate cake a la mode) wasn't the best, we really had an enjoyable dinner. The vanilla ice cream with the chocolate cake was better than the cake itself, but I found that ice-cream in general on our trip was fabulous at every location!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Strolled into this three level restaurant looking mostly for some live music, which there was and very good too, but we also found a really delicious BBQ establishment as well. We sat in the mid level area where band was as well as the BBQ out and open kitchen. The smells of the roasting meats and fishes, the very efficient service and the cheaply priced wines made this a great night! There was no rush to get us out once we had dined, which we really appreciated. I had the pork loin special which was served with incredible gratin potatoes and grilled zucchini. My wife and a very well marinated tenderloin, also delicious. Costa Rican beef is generally very good.