“Need to improve their service.”

El Faro Beach Hostel
Ranked #16 of 20 Manuel Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed at National Park backpackers on the Christmas weekend 2011.
The location of the place is excellent. They also have a nice pool, and they show movies outside every night.

We booked what they call an "apartment", when we arrived, it turned out they finished renovating it the same day, as well as building outside. Luckily it was Christmas, so the workers went home. However, the room smelled (very strongly) like fresh paint. It's not very healthy (or comfortable) to stay in one.

On our third night there, it started raining heavily suddenly, and our room got flooded. The hotel's staff were very reluctant to help (but did eventually), almost asking us to clean the room for them. We got the same response any time we asked for any help at the reception, from booking tours to finding out about a late shuttle.
This is contrary to every other place in Costa Rica, where the receptionists are extremely helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 12, 2011

The matrasses in the cabinas near the pool are really too thin. We asked for another room and got great help. The rooms on top of the kitchen are very VERY basic but with good matresses, very quiet and clean hot shower. We had a pleasant stay there. But... The loud music at the pool (even when noone is around at all) is annoying. Forget about a daytime nap when you are in the cabinas next to the pool. I personally am not interested in watching a loud movie on big screen, so....
The kitchen utilities where minimum
and could be a lot more hygenic.
In short, I can recommend the quiet room in the back, as its peacefull and quiet.
Go and have a fantastic breakfast at Costa Linda hostel down the street with great service and many mucho gustos!! for 1800 colones pp !!!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I quite enjoyed my 3 days in Backpackers Manuel and I recommend it for anyone who is looking for a relaxed and sociable place. There is a nice common area and kitchen that are conducive to socializing as well as a small pool and nice view of the water. The only drawback is that they overcharge for things such as towels and laundry but that's not unusual in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Colin M
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I'll start with the redeeming qualities because it wasn't all bad... It's location is incredibly convenient. Right next to Manuel Antonio National Park. Walking distance to the beach and restaurants. Secure parking. Pool clean. Wifi (that is mostly reliable, but slow). And for the most part the rooms were clean. Movie projected on wall at 8pm every night. Showers are not warm, but don't need to be. Just your bare bones hostel. Bed in square room. Not bad... it's all you can really ask for right?...

Well, what left a slight bad taste in my mouth was the initial interaction and a few other things. I had emailed and received confirmation of my reservation about 3 weeks prior. Upon getting there, the front desk guy tells me it's $5 more a night than originally quoted. I informed him that I had confirmed with someone that it was $25 (not $30 as he was charging me). He just said "sorry, cant' do anything about it"... (i know $5 isn't much, but this was not the first time that week that the price had changed on me and I was NOT going to let it happen again... see my Tricolor Car Rental review that I will be writing next; also happened on the cab ride to airport; not to mention the conditions of the hostel were not worth another $5). anyway, i was just not gonna have it again, but I digress... Fortunately I had my iTouch with the email and told him I had the email that had the original quote in it and he asks me to go get it. I pull up the email and as i'm about to show him, he says he doesn't need to see it as he has the email on his screen. (umm ok). He then says that he'll give me the originally quoted cost and he's doing me a big favor by doing so. (wow, thanks for giving me the cost that was originally quoted.. ). Thank goodness we were only staying for 2 nights because after that awkward interaction, i didn't quite feel comfortable staying there after that. Not sure if they did this on purpose, but we were placed in the room that was right in front of the pool pump that would start at 7am. The walls are incredibly thin and we were able to hear the talking, moaning, breathing and bed creaking in the room next to us at 10pm and 3am. As I'm sure they could hear ours. The women's bathroom was a little disturbing... the wood doors have blood/finger stains on them... I'm guessing menstrual in nature. The toilets would get stopped up often and run out of toilet paper. There are bad music videos until 8pm when the movie starts (which depending on the type of music you like could actually be a plus).

Makes me wonder if all the previous reviews were staff or friends of staff.

I would not return. There are a few hostels on this same street with the same perks of locality and pool. It looked like there are parking lots available for 1.5k colon ($3) so if the parking lot was a must, you can still go someone else with the parking lot option nearby.

Room Tip: Bring your email with original confirmation. Ask for a different room if you're right next to t...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elatedpenguin
Reviewed July 13, 2011

The place is very nice and close to the park. Only 200 meters away. They have a big swimming pool and nightly movies on a big wall you can view from the swimming pool. The owners are helpfull. Sleepquality depends on the room. Some are good some are less.

Room Tip: The rooms with aircon are much quiter than the one with fans.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Merijn111
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This place is excellent and you can't beat the location! It's right outside the main entrance to Manuel Antonio Nat. Park and just a few minutes from the beach. The entire staff is very friendly and helpful; assisting with picking local tours as well as providing general information. I actually felt like I had my own personal touring guide! The grounds, bathrooms, showers, community kitchen, and pool area are all kept very clean. The outdoor movies were an additional treat if you want to just kick back and be lazy. If you want great service along with a really good place to stay, I'd highly recommend staying here if you're travelling to Manuel Antonio.

Room Tip: I stayed next to the pool in a room with a fan. Since I was out most of the day I didn't feel I...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights. Great place, great location right next to park entrance and 5 minute walk to public beach. lots of food places around. rooms very basic but clean. shared bathrooms cleanest i've seen in costa rica. Nice Pool, they also project movies above the bar at night. The only downfall was no towel rental, you can only buy one for $10. Also did not recieve wake up call before shuttle

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends