“Soul of an Artist, Knowledge of an educator”

Nature Specialist Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: I am an artist and a self employed, free lance, certified nature guide with 15 years of experience working in Costa Rica base in Manuel Antonio. I am passionate about painting, birding, conservation and sharing Costa Rica's rich wild life and habitats with others. I am pleased to offer you a warm welcome to a country of peace and friendship.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were a group of about 14 people when we took Roy's tour. Discovery Horse tours booked it and we had learned from Day 1 to trust their judgement. We were not disappointed. Roy carries a high powered telescope and has a wonderful knack for finding animals. He also pulled out an I pad with David Attenborough footage to further our knowledge about the animals he was pointing out. He knew how to pace his explanations and kept things interesting and light throughout our day. He is an exceptional guide!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

There is no way you could spot the animals, insects or plants without a guide. Roy was the best at spotting things even the other guides didn't see. He even kept his promise that I wouldn't see a snake. A really nice guy and a great guide.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Roy was a great guide. Very informative,with a fun way of presenting his nature talk. I would very much recommend this guide. He is also a wonderful painter and you can tell he really loves his job.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Me and my girlfriend visited manuel Antonio in the 2nd week of December. We booked a private tour with the Nature Specialist to view Manuel Antonio Nation park. It was a great experience. He was knowledgable about everything including the wildlife, plants, fauna, and flora. Super friendly and really helped make our experience worth while. He carries around an ipad to show you more detailed photo's of what you can see through his telescope. Not to mention he will help you take up close pictures of the wildlife through his telescope! I would definitely recommend the Nature Specialist. He's the only guide I know, that carries mini speakers and animal noises on his iPod to help lure out hiding wildlife!

1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I took our first trip to Costa Rica in October. We booked a tour with Roy ahead of time and we were extremely glad we did! Roy met us on time at our hotel. He took us through the park and we were able to see the most wonderful animals, which included 3 different types of Monkeys and both types of Sloths. We would have missed the majority of the animals if it was not for Roy. He also brought his own high tech standing binocular for us to see the animals up close and clearly and he helped us take perfect pictures of the animals to help us take the memories home. Roy also brought material with him and was able to give us extra details regarding different animals and plants which we requested additional information on. Roy was extremely knowledgeable and takes pride in his job. You can tell that he loves all parts of nature. He also gave us excellent advice of other activities for the area and restaurants that we should not miss. We used multiple guides throughout our trip and by far Roy was the best. You must use Roy for a guide, and while visiting the park a guide is a must!