“Gilbert was a great Teacher”

Tropical Surf School
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Both Gilbert and Freddy were wonderful to deal with. They were on time to pick us up. They were freidnly and professional. While surfing is a touch sport I felt safe and confident in the water becasue of Gilbert's expertise and guidance. Great experience, I highly recommend it!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

First time surfers!!! My wife and I took a private lesson with Tropical in late June 2012. Overall it was a great experience. Tropical's prices for private lessons compared to the hotel surfing outfitter were much cheaper. For the private lessons you can talk with Tropical about the surfing location. We wanted something away from Manuel Antonio, so Freddie suggested Matapalo (20km south of Quepos). Freddie and Francisco Antonio (aka,Coco) picked us up from our hotel in Manuel Antoinio on time. Stopped by their surf shop, picked up equipment and headed down to Matapalo. We were at the beach and starting lessons by 8:30am.
Our instructor (Coco) spoke good english and gave clear instructions and surfing tips. Then into the water we went. Little to no time my wife and I were standing up and surfing the smaller white water waves. Spent the rest of morning to noon in the water trying our surfing. Coco was close by and giving advise routinely. Occasionally we took water breaks and Coco cut up some fruit. Eventually my wife and I went out to the medium sized waves (3-4ft) on the outside and acutally caught and stood up on a few of these waves!!!!
About the only complaint was that one of the mellons during a rest break was bad (no big deal).
Fair warning though - surfers are athletes!!! Be in decent shape to try surfing, because it can be tiresome.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Me and my friend had a blast at Tropical Surf! We were able to get up and surf right away. Best experience we have had with surf lessons yet.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I had a 2 hour surf lesson from Gilberth. Great instructor! Great conversation! Great time all around! My husband actually learned to surf. I only got up once but had a great time doing it! Gilberth was so patient with us and really fun to get to know. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

We took a two hour surf lesson and had an unforgettable experience. We are now proud to say that we have surfed Costa Rican waves! This was a great surf school for surfers of all levels. We were promptly taken from our hotel in Manuel Antonio to Quepos where we were provided boards, rash guards, and a safe place to leave our stuff. Then we headed to the beach and received a quick lesson on land- and after that we headed out to the water! Our instructor was friendly and very helpful. The waves were quite large that day and our instructor was very reassuring at all times. Once the lesson was finished, our instructor bought us coconuts from a man selling them on the street. We were offered fresh pineapple, water, and a place to rinse off. We had a great time and highly recommend this school to anybody in the area that wants to try surfing!!