“Incredible.. The teachers and owner are the definition of brilliance!”

Academia de Espanol D'Amore
More attraction details
Owner description: Academia de Espanol D’Amore is one of the finest institutions in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica where you can learn Spanish, experience the culture and make life-long friends. You are sure to have an unforgettable experience while attending Academia de Espanol D’Amore.
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Thank you for welcoming me in with open hearts and such a fantastic and effective way of teaching.
They have helped me in so many ways and i felt completely comfortable in Manuel Antonio because of the D'Amore school.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

My 3 teenagers attended Academia d'Amore for 4 weeks. Before attending they had a good understanding of Spanish but were very reluctant to speak it. During their four weeks they gained a great deal of confidence and skill and are now able to converse much more eloquently than I expected. I am a native Spanish speaker but have not done a good job teaching them.
The school is in a pretty white building that looks like a large mediterranean house. It is on a hillside and has some areas from which you can see beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. The rainforest and its animals come right up to the schools balconies. My kids saw monkeys, sloths and toucans while at school.
We stayed at Villa Mot Mot in the Tulemar complex that is next door to the school, within walking distance. Villa Mot Mot and Tulemar are a little bit of paradise within the rainforest. See villamotmot.com.
The school is within a short bus or taxi ride to Manuel Antonio National Park and to Quepos and there is plenty to do nearby. David, the schools director arranged several tours for us. The best one was the 10 in 1 with Amigos del Rio. David accompanied us and we had a great time riding horses, ziplining and canyoning in a beautiful area of primary rainforest with a waterfall and river.
I had been concerned that my kids would complain about going to school during the summer especially in a setting where they could be doing so many fun things but they thouroughly enjoyed their time at the school and are looking forward to going back next year.
When I visited the school during the day I always hear animated conversation, in Spanish, and laughter coming from their classroom.
Everyone at the school is great. David d'Amore was a lot of fun to talk to. He really knows the area, best places to go, customs etc. Damaris, his assistant is very helpful and I enjoyed chatting with her. The teachers, Irene and Kayleen were excellent they taught well and made class fun for the students. Conversation class with Mauricio and Adriana was also a lot of fun for the students. Mauricio loves his pranks and my kids loved them too.
Whenever I visited the school during the morning break time my kids were either in David's office joking and talking with him or playing with their favorite of the two school cats. A perky female kitten that has several names but is mostly called gato.
We highly recommend Academia d'Amore and the Manuel Antonio area of Costa Rica as the perfect location to learn or improve your Spanish while enjoying the beauty of the rainforest and its animals as well as exicting adventures.

2  Thank Aylin E
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I throughly enjoyed my experience at Academia de Espanol D'Amore from the moment it started to the moment it ended! Everyone at the school is very friendly and personable, and Costa Ricans in general are as well. I hadn't had any Spanish since high school, about 9 years ago, and I feel the program at D'Amore helped me improve my Spanish immensely. I had no confidence speaking Spanish when I arrived and by the time I left I felt very confident. I was at the school for 6 weeks. I was very nervous before leaving the states to begin the program, particularly because I was worried about my living situation there, but I was put at ease the second I arrived at my homestay. The family I lived with was truly amazing. They made me feel right at home and a part of their family from day one. They were invested in making sure I had a great experience and very patient with my lack of Spanish in the beginning. I feel what contributed most to my confidence in speaking Spanish was my homestay. Staying with a Costa Rican family is vital to this experience. I would recommend this school to anyone looking to learn Spanish/ increase their level of Spanish. Beautiful location, amazing staff and instructors, and fabulous homestays!

Reviewed January 17, 2011

The location is beautiful, the staff is caring, and the classes are richly developed. You feel comfortable from the first day of class, with great teachers, lots of conversation (at your level), and good instruction in the construction and grammar of Spanish. This school can accommodate you whatever your level of Spanish. Even if you've never spoken a word, you can sign up and enjoy!

My husband and I travel south of the border each year to live with a family and have an language immersion experience, and Academia de Español D'Amore is the best school we have ever attended. The founder and director, David D'Amore, is an American with a graduate degree in education and it shows: the curriculum is top notch and includes much more than just filling out grammar worksheets. D'Amore has lived in Costa Rica for two decades and provides outstanding support and advice for students (free!) concerning tours, restaurants, and all the rest. While there, with David's help, we had a wonderful massage, a guided tour of Manuel Antonio Park where we saw all sorts of wildlife, and day of surfing lessons, where we both were able to stand on our surfboards after just one hour. All of this was arranged with David's help; we appreciated greatly that he knew who to call and who to avoid.

On our trip, we stayed for two weeks with a lovely family in a clean and modern Costa Rican home. We had a private room and two meals a day, along with laundry service, for less than the cost of a hostel. Our family was supportive and added greatly to our experience; it was richly rewarding to come to know a Costa Rican family and learn about the country from those who live there. Of course, the school can also arrange private accommodations for those who wish that, too.

I recommend this school especially to college students who want a safe and interesting adventure, and also to couples who want to try something beyond the same old boring resort vacation. My husband and I are working professionals with grown children, and we felt right at home in this environment.

The beach is breathtaking; the wildlife is abundant; the restaurants in the area are terrific, and most people in Manuel Antonio speak English. The coffee, the monkeys, and local Tico people make it worth the journey.

2  Thank Jean53155
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I took Spanish classes at Academia de Espanol D'Amore with my three children and my father and it was an incredible experience for all of us. My children learned a lot and continue to enjoy learning Spanish. The lessons were well organized and the activities were invaluable. Activities that are fun and engaging were planned for our classes that create an opportunity to implement and utilize what you have learned. They also organized activities after school that were tons of fun and completely taught in Spanish. You are having so much fun you don't even realize that you are learning Spanish! This school, the teachers, and the owner helped create the most wonderful experience we have ever had. We hope to go back to visit and "brush up" on our Spanish. Academia de Espanol D'Amore far exceeded our expectations.

1  Thank HSJ028