“If you want an overly safe, boring guide go here”
Review of Amigos Del Rio

Amigos Del Rio
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Amigos del RioSafe, Unique, Reliable and Intense Adventures in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica!White Water Rafting in Costa Rica or Kayaking along the Manuel Antonio's coast will make your Costa Rica family vacation unforgettable! Enjoy all the water sports that Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica has to offer you. From world class whitewater rafting at just 30 minutes from the famous Manuel Antonio National Park, in Savegre and Naranjo rivers to Ocean Kayaking along the beautiful Quepos coast line or Mangrove Kayaking at the Damas Island estuary, we will provide you with safe and unique fun, cause we love what we do. Please browse through our site and let us know in which way we can help you enjoy your stay in our beautiful Costa Rica.Pura vida, and see you on the water!The Amigos del Rio Team
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Before I begin my complaints, I need to say that everything was wonderful except for one part. The bus was great. Food was great. The guide on the raft (except for the fun, whitewater sections) was great. If you're looking for a very safe, but still enjoyable time, this company is for you.

However, if you want any adrenaline rush, stay away. Our guide, William, was excellent and knew about all of the local flora and fauna. I've been on class 2/3 tours again, so I knew what to expect.

Every single time we went down rapids, William had us go to the floor of the raft. And I mean.
Every. Single. Time.

It was ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous. It sucked any of the fun out of the rapids. I completely understand the safety aspects but it killed me looking at the two other rafts with us that did not have to get on the floor even once! When I asked if it was really necessary he said it was for safety. Honestly I find that hard to believe because no other rafts were doing it. Every. Single. Time. This compared to not even once.

1  Thank KMarshall7
raftercr, Owner at Amigos Del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear KMarshall,

Thank you for your candid comments about your whitewater rafting trip on the Savegre River yesterday with Amigos Del Rio.
I am happy that you enjoyed the experience as a whole (the food, bus ride, and your knowledgeable guide William). I am sorry to hear that your experience otherwise was lackluster. Our guides do take safety very seriously, and as you were a large group for a wedding party there were people of all ages (some seniors) in each of the rafts. The guide will make sound judgement based on the people he is taking in his raft regarding the skill level of the guests, their balance, age, physical condition etc. To ensure the safety of each person in your raft, he came to the consensus to have you "go down" on each of the rapids. I am sure if you would've expressed your feelings to William while on the trip, and let him know that you were seeking more adventure and adrenaline, that he could have easily consulted with the rest of the group in your raft and changed things up, or perhaps even moved you to another raft.
I really wish that you would've given me the chance to speak with you on the phone after your trip when your guide realized you weren't happy, but you refused.
We offer two types of rafting trips, Class IV and V on the upper section of the Naranjo River, and Class II and III on the Savegre River. Since there were some people in your group that were older and in lesser physical condition, the Naranjo River was not recommended for your group as a whole. Had it been only younger people in your group, then yes, you would have really enjoyed the Naranjo River. Hopefully the next time you are in Costa Rica we can give you a chance to experience that river as well!
I hope you have a lovely wedding this weekend, and enjoy the rest of your stay in Costa Rica,

All reviews
in 35 reviews
"action shots"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed March 24, 2014

The rafting was wonderful! Our kids are 16, 13 and 11. This was our first time rafting. We felt very safe the entire time. We had to work a bit but the rapids weren't difficult. It was a great starting point for our active family but next time we will opt for a more difficult option. They served breakfast and lunch. One of the best things about the excursion was Kenneth, our guide. He was amazing! I really appreciated all the things he educated us about on the drive and on the river. I came back knowing more about the Costa Rican culture; exports; nature and history history. Not only was it a great adventure, it was wonderful educational experience for our kids and me.

Dear arh217,

Thank you for your wonderful review on your white water rafting trip with Amigos Del Rio!
Kenneth is an excellent guide and truly loves what he does! The Savegre River is the perfect option for a first time white water rafting experience, with Class II and III rapids, as well as a river that families always thoroughly enjoy.
We would love to take your family on the Chorro section of the Naranjo River with Class IV and V rapids the next time you are in Costa Rica!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My daughter had the best time, of her life. I really loved how Ramirez was so full of knowledge about the rainforest.

1  Thank ettaettashawn

Dear ettaettashawn,

Thank you for your review on the 10 in 1 tour! We are happy to hear that your daughter had a great time, and that Ramirez (the owner and operator of this tour) was able to share his passion and wealth of knowledge about the rainforest with your family.
We hope to see you back in Costa Rica in the future!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Rafting with this group was one of my favorite things from our whole trip! The guides were a lot of fun and I felt safe in the raft the whole time. The whole group had a good energy and gave us plenty of opportunities to get in the water if we wanted to. In addition, we were treated to a delicious breakfast and lunch before and after rafting. Learned a lot about Costa Rica on the drive to the river as well. Overall, a very knowledgeable and friendly group.

1  Thank Grace W

Hola Grace W,

Thank you for your comments on your white water rafting trip with Amigos Del Rio!

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the experience, and that the guides made the trip fun for everyone.

I'll be sure to let the cook know that you enjoyed the typical style Costa Rican breakfast of gallo pinto, eggs, and fresh fruit, as well as the lunch of arroz con pollo, beans and salad!

Our guides our very proud of their country and love having the opportunity to share their knowledge with you!

We hope to see you on another of our adventures on your next visit to Costa Rica!