“AHHH-mazing!”

The Preserve at Los Altos
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed January 4, 2013

From the moment we checked into Los Altos, we felt like we had entered a luxury tropical paradise. The grounds are exceptionally beautiful and well-kept, the condos are gorgeous, spacious and immaculate, the food is excellent. But what makes Los Altos stand out is the exceptional service. The people who work at the resort are so warm, friendly and helpful that you feel as though you are among family. We were greeted at the desk every morning by Jonathan and Enzo and every evening by Cesar and Lenin, all of whom were so wonderful. Luis at the restaurant and pool bar could not do enough for us (especially our kids) and we loved seeing his smiling face every day at the pool. Efrain arranged the most incredible tours for us - the private guide who took us to Manuel Antonio National Park was superb. My son loved the wave runner tour so much he had to go twice! The private beach is gorgeous and worth the trip! The staff is happy to give you a ride there and back and will provide chairs. Every restaurant recommendation was excellent - Barbra Roja next door was so great we went three times during our stay. Cafe Milagro across the street is delicious for breakfast and dinner! They recommended Kapi Kapi for New Year's Eve and it was outstanding!

Six of us stayed at the resort, me, my husband, our two children and my parents. Every one of us agrees that Los Altos is the most incredible place we have ever stayed. We were so sad to leave because we felt like we were leaving close friends.

Stay at Los Altos - you will have the most memorable trip of your lifetime!

Room Tip: Higher condos have a better view, but all units are the same and all are beautiful!
1  Thank Stefanie C
LosAltosResort, Guest Relations Manager at The Preserve at Los Altos, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Los Altos. We are thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful time. We very much appreciate your thoughtful review of our accommodations, restaurant and beach, and we will surely pass on your kind words to the staff! And, of course, we hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for The Preserve at Los Altos

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Everything about Los Altos was perfect. Staff was very knowledgeable & gave great recommendations for excursions and dinners. Canopy & Superman zip line via MidWorld should not be missed. Their ATV tour was also great fun. Then hotel lined-up a private guide for the Park which was great and coordinated our van to/from the airport. Hotel was beautiful, well maintained and did not feel busy even at Christmas week. Always chairs available at the pool and gym was never croweded in the mornings. Very accomodating calling for taxis and providing anything needed. Great dinner places close by & not expensive (compared to city or resort prices).

Room Tip: Units are very spacious. We were 2 adults & 2 kids (ages 17 & 20). Lots of room to spread ou...
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We arrived at Los Altos in late afternoon amidst a soft rain. After Cecil welcomed us at the front desk and Jonathon showed us to our stunning suite, we headed to the pool to dip in the infinity pool overlooking the ocean. As though it was custom ordered, the sun appeared thru the clouds to give us a fabulous sunset. We had a fabulous time in the magical setting of Los Altos: having our morning coffee on our balcony overlooking the jungle and ocean, taking the local bus ($1 USD for both of us) we would go down to the public beach when we wanted to ride the waves of the ocean or visit the wildlife of Manuel Antionio National Park, reading books and lounging in the serene inifinity pool of Los Altos, eating breakfast while listening to the birds in their morning song, seeking adventure soaring over the jungle on a canopy tour, viewing the sunset at happy hour and having romantic dinners at the Karolas restaurant at Los Altos or the neighboring restaurants and enjoying the wonderful service of the staff. George, at dinner, kept us smiling, giving us local color with his stories - he, and all the wait staff, bartenders, front desk, general manager Orren - everyone we encountered at Los Altos - made us feel welcome and pampered. Our honeymoon was as romantic and magical as we could have hoped for - Los Altos Resort was a honeymoon paradise!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
LosAltosResort, Guest Relations Manager at The Preserve at Los Altos, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Absolute poetry! Thank you for writing such a thoughtful review of your stay with us. Reading a review like yours, well, it just makes us so happy that we could be your homebase in Manuel Antonio, and especially for such a joyous occasion. We will certainly pass on your kind words to the staff, and, of course, we hope to see you again on your next trip to Costa Rica!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed there with my family in December, 2012. Really enjoyed our stay. The property is beautiful and well maintained, and the staff was friendly and helpful. We brought our 2 year old daughter and felt very welcome, the front desk guys greeted her and one of the groundskeepers even took the time to bring her a big grasshopper to see. Road down to the beach is steep, but a nice hike and you'll likely see monkeys in the trees. Pool is great, has a nice shallow area for young ones to run around.

One potential improvement would be chairs for the beach area, and potentially some boogie boards/kayaks/sand toys, similar to what some of the other resorts provide.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We are so happy to have had you and your family at Los Altos, and are even happier that you had such a wonderful time. As you certainly picked up on, there's always so much to see and so much to do; Costa Rica is truly a spectacular country when it comes to nature and biodiversity. As far as the beach chairs, we hope to clarify that we do have beach chairs available upon request. Once again, thank you for your review, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I just got back to North Carolina after spending five days at Los Altos with my family, and I can confidently say that this was one of the most incredible resorts I have ever stayed in! Having worked around the world in the hospitality industry with luxury hotels from Beijing to Vancouver to Alaska, I can honestly report that the amenities, accommodations, service, food, facilities, staff, and management are all world class!

STAFF:
From the moment I arrived, the staff at the front desk and at the restaurant, Karolas, made an effort to greet me and my family individually, and they remembered all of our names! Everyone I spoke to, whether a bartender or a manager, was equally comfortable speaking either English or Spanish, and they all went above and beyond my expectations to make sure I felt at home and that my vacation was as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. When I had to change my departure plans at the last minute, one of the employees at the front desk even offered to wake up at 3am to drive me ALL the way to the airport in San Jose. Now THAT is service! By no means should you expect the service here to run on "Tico time" -- the professionalism here is of the highest international quality.

ROOM/FACILITIES/BEACH:
The entire resort looks brand new, and everything is of world class quality. The rooms are more like private homes, with everything you would need for a family getaway. The design and decor are warm, inviting, clean, elegant, and far more sophisticated than I had expected -- even nicer than the pictures, if you can believe it! The beds were incredibly comfortable, the showers were clean and modern, and the balcony off the living room offered one of the best sunsets I have ever seen. The fitness center has everything I needed for daily workouts. The spa, where I had a top-notch massage, was beautiful. The infinity pool was clean, and the jungle surroundings were true paradise. The private beach was as authentic as it gets. Don't expect Cancun here! Jungle vines hanging over the black volcanic sand, untouched rocky shoreline, and complete serenity.

FOOD/BEVERAGES:
The open-air restaurant, Karolas, was one of the most romantic and grand tropical restaurants I have seen. Nothing says luxury like a top-tier meal with impecable service, an open-air view of sunset over the Pacific Ocean, and the sound of monkeys and toucans in the jungle below. The menu was wonderful, and I especially enjoyed the tropical tuna tartare lunch wrap. The bars, both at Karola and beside the pool, served delicious tropical drinks and standard choices at very reasonable prices. The happy hour, with 2 for 1, was unbeatable! No reason ever to leave the resort! Even when I asked the bartenders to make me complicated special orders, they were more than happy to accommodate.

Moral of the story -- whenever I visit Costa Rica again, I will be headed DIRECTLY for Los Altos. This is as good as it gets!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just got back from an amazing stay in Costa Rica at Los Altos. We spent wonderful five days with the whole family and didn't want to leave. The apartment we stayed in was very spacious and beautifully decorated, with a full kitchen, living room with a very comfy couch, dining room, 3 large bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths and 3 terraces. The view from the apartment was breathtaking! We never got tired of seeing the forest and ocean; sunset from the front terrace and sunrise from the back were spectacular. Karolas Restaurant, a short walk from the hotel, offered a lovely buffet breakfast, and dinners there were among the best we had in Manuel Antonio. Service was friendly and efficient -- the wait staff got to know our names and what we liked to eat and drink (nice cocktails, too!) We enjoyed the Thanksgiving dinner -- great to be able to eat our turkey, which was juicy and delicious, and all the rest of the fixings, in this beautiful, open-air restaurant! The staff at Los Altos is top-notch -- friendly, gracious service is the norm. They arranged a fun tour for us through the mangrove forest -- nice to just be able to ask about a tour and then have everything set up and ready to go! My husband, my kids and I all had a more than wonderful time at Los Altos -- can't wait to come back with friends and share the terrific experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better ocean view, although you still get a view of the ocean from lower floors...
Reviewed November 30, 2012

i stayed here on my Honeymoon and i will for sure be going back.. From Ownership Down this hotel does everything right.
first let me start off you get a key card to take your private elevator to your own private floor. that includes 4 balcony's a full kitchen a living room dining room 3 bathrooms and more.,
the restaurant is 5 Star and will make you anything you like and is priced very reasonable.. the pool is quite yet so enjoyable. my wife and i had the entire pool to our self. r the reserve is unbelievable i saw more animals in on the grounds of the hotel than in manual Antonio park. we saw a sloth a howler money Aquinas and more..the front desk is super helpful and will go above and beyond the normal front desk to make sure your stay is more than memorable this is a 5 STAR luxury Hotel!

cant wait to come back. thank you, Nathan B/Rikki B

Room Tip: all the rooms are the same the higher the better..
1  Thank Nathan B