“Home away from home”

Sol y Mar Backpackers
Boston, Massachusetts
“Home away from home”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Solangie and her family were so friendly. I spent a week with them last year, they took me to the beach, bars and other places. Her three sons were lovely and we still keep in touch.
The place itself is very nice and safe, the gate is always locked and they give you your own key. The hostel is right next to a restaurant, supermarket and bus stop so it's very convenient. If you're traveling alone and/or want to mingle with the locals this is the right place for you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank net_paloma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pt. Townsend, WA.
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I suppose some people think anyplace that says hostel is either a bargain or quaint.
This place qualifies as neither. I traveled here with my daughter who wrote her own review as Mable31....see her pics as they are similar to mine. What I found objectionable
about this place was:
1.) The property is located in a gully between 2 tall buildings and the front is fenced off so NO breeze comes through this area, and IT IS HOT!
2,) The rooms are very very small and cramped with one floor fan. For $56 an night I expect a liitle more. Also, we rented a room with a second bed which was a bunk bed that literally tried to put me on the floor when I tried to get in it. Also, (see pic) this bed is
about 24" from the ceiling so it gets d..n hot. I wound up sleeping in an unoccupied room because it was just to uncomfortable, and I like roughing it!!
3,) As my daughter wrote, the water system is terribly undersized for the property as it blows the pump circuit breaker regularly when the motor overheats and then.....
4.) I noticed the sink in the community kitchen and the showers drain outside the building onto the ground which is sloped and runs downhill towards.....you guessed it....
THE WELL!!
5.) The entire property is half completed and appears it has been for some time. This means if you have children and you value their lives don't stay here!! Many areas have falls of 15 ft. with absolutely NO railings. And not just one....
It appears this property is listed as a hostel ONLY as a way to rent substandard rooms
with no accountability.
6.) The owner collects cash and that makes it very difficult to receive a refund when you figure all this out.
7.) Wear shoes in the shower and be prepared to literally remove the shower doors as
there are no rollers on the doors and it is physically impossible to slide these.....and I'm
200 lbs. and very strong.
8.) Be prepared for alot of attitude if you request a refund for the second night as we received. This property is so ridiculously uncomfortable we left our $56.00 behind for the second night rather than endure one more night of that misery.

I'm not sure what these positive reviews are on here but pictures don't lie. This place is an overpriced garbage dump and the ads are totally deceptive. There is a lot better in town and I must say.....it's not often I leave someplace that mad for getting ripped off.!!

If there are rooms available here and no where else.....now you know why!

Room Tip: Book one night unless you're sure.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Greg M

Travelers are raving about these Manuel Antonio National Park hotels

Napa, California
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We booked two nights at this place on Hostelbookers.com. When we arrived and the owner went to show us how tot use the shower, the toilet seat fell off. Then, as I took a shower later there was no hot water. Part way into my shower, with my hair full of soap, the water stopped all together. The temp. in our room was 93F at 10pm when we attempted to go to sleep. The "single" bed she advertised was a rickety old bunk bed that started to tip when you climbed the ladder, and I am the smaller person of the 2 travelers. The temperature in the bunk bed was not tolerable for sleep. The internet did not work in the room or common room. It only worked outside in one area. The room we had was overall not very clean and I wore shoes in the shower because it was so unclean. Pretty much everything here was very sub-par and not ok for what we paid for the private room. It was so terrible and unbearable we could not stay another night. The owner refused to give us our $$ back and rather than subject ourselves to it again, we ate all that $$ and left. She was friendly when we arrived but after we asked about this, her attitude changed. There were plenty of other places in town with A/C that were better located and were cheaper than this dump. I would not advise staying here if you wish to sleep or be comfortable in the slightest. I have attached pictures.

Room Tip: grab one when you get into town, there are plenty
  • Stayed March 2011
2 Thank mable31
Boston
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I just spent 3 nights at Sol y Mar and had an awesome experience. At first we we're sure what to expect when we walked through the gate and down the steps because it seemed that nobody was around until the nicest and sweetest lady walked out and greeted us. Our room was different but nice and was worth the money we paid for it. It had a queen sized bed, bunk-beds, and a pullout bed. Through the back door was a small but nice outdoor kitchen where we cooked and ate our dinner twice (make sure to clean everything up quickly, although it was not buggy).
The hotel is located along Manuel Antonio road which connects Quepos, the town, to the Manuel Antonio national park and the beach everybody goes to. All the hotels and hostels and nightlife is along this 6km road, so everything you need is within a short taxi, car, or bus ride along this windy road.
The rooms were clean and definitely not fancy, but who wants to spend all their time in a room while your in Costa Rica? The owner has two boys that are fun to speak spanish with, and the owner cooks an awesome Costa Rican breakfast if you get up before 10 (stuff like rice, beans, fried banana, eggs however you like them). She also might be the nicest lady in the world.
Some of the other reviews of this hotel seemed a little uptight. I'm hoping thats because the quality of the hostel got much better since the last bad review, or because the people who wrote the bad reviews were just not into an experience of this "type".
Anyways, I had a great time in Quepos/Manuel Antonio when I stayed at Sol y Mar.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dret0921
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I saw the earlier reviews, and I think things have changed a lot recently. We had hot water, air conditioning, and reasonably clean accommodations--for a backpacker's place. Just like any backpacker's cabin in Costa Rica, you'll want to bring your own mosquito net.

The WiFi is supposed to only work in the common kitchen area, but our room was adjacent to it so we had access right in our room.

They have a guard dog (very friendly towards guests) that might bark once or twice at night, but it didn't bother me at all. I like the security. The door locks were sturdy, and the staff were very friendly and helpful with money saving tips for seeing the area.

The price was the same as all of the other hostels in the area but included amenities like Cable TV, WiFi, Free Parking, Hot Water and air conditioning. They'll also cook you a wonderful breakfast to get you going. I'm amazed that the place wasn't crawling with more backpackers. When we come back to Costa Rica, we'll be spending more time at Sol y Mar Backpackers.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lovemunkey
costa rica
Reviewed January 20, 2010

We booked a private room online, when we got there the room was okay and pretty clean, but the ;layout was strange and it was very stuffy and dark. There was no water on our first night there and there is no hot water at all. there is no wireless reception in the room and the one computer in the hostel was occupied all the time. The owner was nice but overall we wouldn't go there again because it is way overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joshdb
California
Reviewed January 15, 2010

This is the worse place to stay. I got there 01/02/2009 and stayed for two days. No water and absolutely no HOT water and it's about 30 plus minutes to the beach. You can stay at COCO Beach Hotel for $50 a night with much better location and next to the beach. Do nto stay here. The owner of the place wasn't nice at all. You don't have any privacy there.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends