“very good food and a world class view”
Review of El Avion

El Avion
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have eaten here twice now and really love it. the view is amazing. the food is great. i got a seafood thai dish which was awesome and my wife got the nahcos. she vegetarian and they put the meat and beans on the side for me so she and I were very happy. our server was ok, he didnt check back to make sure the everything was ok and did not refill our drinks but the food and view made up for it. i would come back again, its a really nice place to enjoy a meal after hiking the park.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,151)

Reviewed November 12, 2013

What's not to like about a bar that's inside an airplane, which plays dance hits of the early 90s and is decorated with glow-in-the-dark graffiti? El Avion was a cool place to grab a drink and hang for a bit, though it wasn't very busy on a Sunday night. The bartender appeared to be really bored and detached, though, which killed the mood after awhile, since we were the only two people at the bar to begin with. We ended up moving elsewhere after one round. Still, a cool place to check out in the area!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Great Grilled whole red snapper at $15. Efficient service!

If you want to read a bit more.....

I love to eat well and read carefully where to go this time in Manuel Antonio. I've been coming to this beautiful part of the country since I was 10 years old. The restaurant scene in MA used to be better than any in Costa Rica. Some places have stayed alive, others are gone.
El Avion always seemed to me as a huge tourist spot with mostly American dishes. I now belong to a group of restaurant critics in CR and some members recommended this place. So I went straight for a specific dish: whole grilled snapper.
It was great!
At 8.000 colones ($15) even better!
Both my husband and I had same dish and 2 non alcoholic drinks and payed $38.
Service was great, and the restaurant is very airy and comfortable. I would come back. Great for families as we'll.
For inside info on restaurants and hotels in Costa Rica I invite you to read my blog.
Costa Rica By Nataly.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was skeptical when I saw the restaurant was built around a WWII era cargo plane. Dinner and drinks was very good. Seafood rice was fantastic. Great views of the ocean.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

You can't miss this place!! An perfectly intact 1980's C-123 airplane, just sitting on the side of the road!! So cool! AND you can walk around inside, there's a full bar, and you can climb up into the cockpit! We arrived around 5:30 when the sun was setting so it was beautiful!! The food was unbelievable! Very flavorful, and well presented!! Their mixed drinks were incredibly delicious!! I could eat here every night!