“Super Cool Attraction”
Review of El Avion

El Avion
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I don't really mind when I get our government's occasional stupidity rubbed in my face. It's pretty funny to see one of the Iran/Contra affair relics turned into a bar! I didn't realize how big this place was until we got inside. Great views from the open are restaurant up and downstairs. The food and service were very good as well. Highly recommended.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,867)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have just returned from a visit to El Avion. I last ate there 4 years ago. First impressions are always the same-that Herc is impressive! However last night when you say down you were given information about why and how it's actually there. Conflict has been a big part of Central America's history and the information how a plane like this actually came to be in Nicaragua in the first place and then transported to Costa Rica. I think it's a real shame they've let this slip.

The food has really gone downhill! It used to be like home cooked Costa Rican food. Now my starter arrived in 5 minutes, my main very soon after. I agree that the seafood is frozen.

I've never been in the daytime and perhaps this is the time to go to appreciate the views and wildlife. The plane's attraction will never go away but I hope that doesn't allow the owners to have sub-standards in food quality and standards.

This was time was also different in children running around the bar area. Of course they're very excited to see the cockpit-but it is a bar.

1  Thank Spaceraider
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have eaten here 2 times this week. The nachos are awesome. The first time we had lunch, a family of monkeys came thru the restaurant. So cool. The view is great and the service is top notch.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This place is not only a great spot to view the ocean, but the food is really great as well! We took a group of friends here to experience the atmosphere and everyone was impressed! Everything we got was delicious and pretty reasonably priced. Since we went there during lunch the airplane bar was closed so we ended up going back another night to experience it. We will definitely be back to eat there and enjoy the view!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We walked to Manuel Antonio National Park. On the way back to our hotel we enjoyed a drink and shared a meal at the bar here.When the meal was brought to us it was delivered already split on individual plates, we actually thought they gave us two individual meals. During our meal it began to rain and a howler monkey took cover in a nearby tree. After the storm we watched the monkey sip water from the leaves and use them to wash his face. Also, the view is spectacular here besides the monkeys.

1  Thank Michelle S