“Unique experience”
Review of El Avion

El Avion
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 24, 2013

When I first arrived in Manuel Antonio it was dark so when I saw what looked like a cargo plane sticking out of the restaurant, I at first thought darkness had obscured my vision. Sure enough, it was a plane - that in itself is a novelty. The restaurant is built around this plane - the inside of the plane has been converted into a bar area. The remainder of the restaurant encompasses two floors with some great views of the water.
I found the wait staff very helpful and friendly and the food was awesome. We ordered the seafood platter (special of the day) and it did not disappoint - loads of seafood more than we could eat. Sangrias are delicious too.
Another bonus...it was right across from our hotel the Casitas Eclipse.

1  Thank Ramona106
There are newer reviews for El Avion

Reviewed May 23, 2013

After an exhausting morning and afternoon of hiking in Manuel Antonio we needed a rest! We sat outside with an amazing water view and enjoyed beer, a refreshing fruit frappe, and excellent nachos while we relaxed and watched a rain storm moving in.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have lived in the area on and off for years. I never went to El Avion as I thought it was expensive.
I was in Costa Rica with friends this visit and they wanted to go there for dinner, so off we went. What an incredible experience! I can not say enough good things about this restaurant and I am just sorry I hadn't gone before this. We were greeted, and seated with a lovely view. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful especially to my friends who explained this was their first trip to Costa Rica and didn't speak Spanish. He went out of his way to make them feel comfortable. The menu was quite extensive, having something for everyone's pallet. I ordered the Filet Mignon which was cooked to perfection, tasty and tender, and nearly filled my entire plate! Was one of the best meals of the trip. The prices are NOT what I consider expensive, on the contrary, they are very reasonable, and much cheaper than a lot of restaurants in the area, where the food is certainly not the quality of El Avión. I make frequent trips to Costa Rica, and can't wait to return for another dining experience with you.

1  Thank dgmax
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We went starved so obviously it wouldn't take much to impress us, right? Wrong.
Food was so gross. They say they make their own bread for the sandwiches? Nope. French fries, gross.
The only plus to this restaurant was their dessert. I got the coconut flan and my hub got the chocolate cake :) yummy.
Nice view of the beach though.

1  Thank taramc8
Reviewed May 16, 2013

As a part of a travel agency group we had a group dinner at this restaurant, and the view to the ocean was amazing, food was just ok, but definitely the view and the setting is well worth it.