“Great time...very professional”
Review of Aguila Tours

Aguila Tours
Ranked #43 of 65 Tours in Manuel Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Manuel Antonio National Park, Mangrove boat or kayak tours, country birdwatching tours. Here at Aguila Tours we enjoy to share our country nature wonders and teach others about conservation. Juan Luis Brenes
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I found this service to be wonderful. Our guide was Jason who was sent to us by Juan. Jason was very knowledgeable, had excellent English, and eagle eyes. We would never have seen the lovely creatures we did without his pointing them out. There were quite a few other people on the trail during our afternoon tour. It is the busy season though, and the other guides and people were very polite. So many sloths, lizards, spiders and other insects as well as a LOT of toucans! Gorgeous resting spot on a beautiful beach then a walk through a mangrove forest. My three kids and my elderly parents were all fine. Highly recommended!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Going to Manuel Antonio National Park without a guide is like walking blindfolded through a museum. Our guide, Edgar, was super human. He spotted insects, birds, bats, reptiles, crabs, frogs and monkeys. He set up his telescope and allowed us to get great pictures that way. He took his time too. All the other guides were zipping past us and I know we saw everything we could. (Beware of guides at the gate, I'm sure they are fine BUT their motive is to zip through and get back to the front for another group to hire them).

Edgar's knowledge was incredible. He provided snacks for us and answered all of our questions. He found these ants with yellow butts, picked them up and told us to smell them… We smelled their vinegary pheromones and it was hilarious. Edgar is fearless.

The beach is a beauty to behold. Don't bring food. The families of raccoons and capuchin monkeys are vicious and won't stop trying to get into your bag. Do bring water, repellent isn't necessary on this trip, but sunscreen is a good idea.

Originally, I read great reviews about Juan Brenes, who I contacted directly and thought we were getting a tour from. Edgar showed up from "Manual Antonio Tours" (?) We're glad we went with the flow because Edgar was amazing and would definitely recommend him!

1  Thank christina_ca
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Aguila Tours is a good company with well educated tour guides who love what they do. Our guide Juan has a BA in Zoology I believe, and answered any and all questions we had in full detail with out droning on and putting us to sleep.

We went to Manual Antonio National Park and let Juan know the species we wanted to see and sure enough, he found them with some effort. Juan knows when and how to look and tries to give you the best possible experience with a 800mm scope, they can even snap a few frames with your camera. No major problems with Aguila. Manual Antonio is a must if you find yourself in Puntarenas Province and Aquila is a must if you find yourself in Manual Antonio National Park.

1  Thank Marsh311
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Be aware off this tour-compagny when you get to Manuel Antonio National Park.
They stops you before you reaches the beach and entrance of the park, and tells you that you can't go no longer - it is just not the trough. You can drive much longer and then you get to the main entrance to the park, where the parking-lot also is. If you want a guide just hire on from the many at the gate.
We were stopped before the park at Aguila Tours, telling us that we had to park our car now and if we wanted to have a guide-tour, they could give us a god price. With park-fee only 120 $ for 4 persons. We accepted, but soon released, that is was much much overpriced. The guide was not one off Aguila Tours, but a guide you can get for about 10 $ pr. person at the gate and we had to pay 4 $ for parking the car closer to the park. The guide was ok - not his fault we felt us a bit taking by the nose..
The next day we complained to Aguila Tours, but now he was so unfriendly and telling us, that is was one big organisation and every one took the same price. Only the bad guides, that only took the short tour to the beach with you, because they wanted to make more tours, was cheaper. We had a short tour to the beach !!!!!!!!!!!!
Be aware of the high tide if you goes back along the beachside. You will have to pay for renting a boat to get over to the other side or you will have to go back the same way you came with the guide..This info is not given to you.
We wanted to book a proff. guide from the park - you can do that - but because Aguila Tours stopped us before we came all the way up to the entrance - we weren't able to do so..
With this review I hope that others gets the opportunity to make there own choices..

6  Thank FamilyJensen
natureguide, Propietario at Aguila Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hello Jensen Family.
Unfortunaly you did not understand with my emails to you, that we aren´t involde with the tour guides on the street in Manuel Antonio. Many times on the forums page I have warned visitors to be extremelly carefull with where to park and buying tours on the street in MA. To everyone out there The tour guides on the street about 1km from the park entrance are all ilegal and they will be taking advantage of you, they have created a company name Aguila Adventure Expeditions and many times they will sing the simple charge receipt with Aguila Tours just because they want to affect my business. The legal process to follow against them is complicated and it will require to a tourist to be willing to go into court with me against them and unfortunally not one is willing to stay thorugh the process. I have made reports with the National TV station Channel 7 since they are also stopping people with no authority on the street but unfortunally the goverment and the prosecuter office have not taking actions against them. Becuase of all this problems I have also change my company name to Manuel Antonio Expeditions which is rate 1 in TA for MA becuase of the excellent quality of service we offer. Someone with the reputacion I have isn´t going to scam tourist on the street, I will be stupid to do something like this. Unfortunally you still decided to stand with your review to me. I wish you had call to our number listed here to help you, I would have gone there and fight for your money, I hate to see people been scam on the beach by ilegal vendors. I feel sorry for what it happend to you but you leave me no other options but to respond to your unfair review. I will be making a warning in our blog soon about this topic.
Sincerely
Juan Luis Brenes.
Guide license 134

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This company was recommended by Nikki at Pura Vida eh?. We did the morning MA National Park tour and afternoon mangrove boat tour which included lunch. In the morning we had Pablo and in the afternoon we had Juan. We enjoyed both immensely. Both were great a spotting things we would not have seen. Pablo shared a bit of his life story and the wonderful meal was at his house. At this point we had eaten in several sodas serving local food and this was better than any of them. The waterways lined with mangroves were attractive and relaxing. There was a cool breeze which was great after a steamy walk on the beach. We saw birds, monkeys, snakes, bats, crabs, and a baby croc thanks to Juan. I loved that both guides made sure everyone saw whatever had been spotted.

3  Thank slix1