“Amazing mangrove boat tour and homemade dinner”
Review of Aguila Tours

Aguila Tours
Ranked #43 of 66 Tours in Manuel Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Manuel Antonio National Park, Mangrove boat or kayak tours, country birdwatching tours. Here at Aguila Tours we enjoy to share our country nature wonders and teach others about conservation. Juan Luis Brenes
Boston, Massachusetts
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Amazing mangrove boat tour and homemade dinner”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went on a Damas mangrove boat tour. Our guide was Pablo and it was just us and one family of four. Pablo was very friendly and welcoming, as well as very knowledgable about all of the different kinds of birds, snakes, monkeys, trees, bats, and anteaters that we saw. He and the boat driver (a quiet local) had a great eye for spotting rare animals in the mangrove. When stopping to look closer, Pablo made sure that everyone got to see the animal in question before moving on. We saw a bunch of monkeys and thankfully I had two bananas in my bag so we could feed them out of our hands (which you're by supposed to do but oh well). Pablo got the monkeys to come over to us...some of them stood on our heads and shoulders and they all ate right out of our hands!! Feeding a monkey as it sat on my back was the highlight of my Costa Rica trip.
After our 2 hour boat tour, Pablo drove us all back to his house where his wife served us a homemade dinner of fresh, local mahi mahi, beans, rice, seared plaintains and avocado salad. I hate seafood but I ended up eating everything on my plate because it was so good!
On another note, Juan, the company owner, is very prompt and quick to respond to emails about booking tours and will also give you good recommendations for other local tours/ tour guides for cheaper prices. For example, I asked him about night hikes in the area and he immediately responded with an offer for the same night hike done by everyone in the area (across from the Si Como No hotel), but for $40 per person instead of the $65 pp that the hotels and other tour companies charge.
This company is friendly, helpful, reliable, and definitely worth your time and money!

1 Thank Tina M

Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Favorite guide on trip”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We did a kayaking tour through the mangroves with Juan and really enjoyed ourselves. Juan is very casual, which made me nervous at first considering we were about to kayak in an area where there may have been crocodiles... After a short time it became clear Juan really knows what he is doing. He was very informative, and treated us more like friends than tourists. He has a wealth of knowledge but doesn't lecture, he keeps it all very interesting. That casual nature ended up being my favorite thing about him and our tour! Our lunch after the tour was wonderful as well. Highly recommend Aguila Tours.

Visited December 2012
Gold Canyon, Arizona
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Juan makes Manuel Antonio Park come alive”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Four mature ladies joined Juan, with another family of 4 on an enlightening and fun walk through the park. Juan's ability to sight wildlife, get it into perfect focus within his telescope, and then take National Geographic quality photos through the telescope with our cameras was amazing. He creates a story to go with the flora and fauna sightings so you remember what you saw. He knew when to slow down and when to move ahead. And he helped other visitors who missed their guides. Juan speaks excellent English and it was evident that he is respected by other guides. We found Juan on a Google search that hit the TripAdvisor site and we are glad we did! He also recommended a guide, Victor Mora Chaves for Carera Park the next day. Another excellent tour.

Visited June 2012
south riding,va
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Expensive”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Our guide was very good and the tour was informative too but it felt all the guides knew where the animals/lizards/iguanas/grasshoppers/bats were present
One guide was passing info to others
We saw monkeys and sloth in first part of our tour and 2 nd part was just to finish the tour
Overall we were group of 11 who paid 400 which accounts to 275 for guide services?

Seattle, WA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awesome guide and tour”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My wife and I took a tour with Juan Luis Brenes from Aguila Tours when we were in Manuel Antonio. We both thought he was just fantastic. He was very informative and professional, yet very fun. When it started to rain towards the end of our tour he even got my wife and I large leaves to use as umbrellas to keep us dry. We are usually the type of people who don't like to take guided tours. In this case, I can't imagine not having a guide with a telescope. We got to see things we would have NEVER seen on our own, down to small bugs and rare spiders through the aid of the telescope. Juan even took greak pictures for us through the telescope and they all turned out excellent. Top notch guide and top notch company. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2011