“Edgar and Paul Rock!!”

Manuel Antonio Expeditions
Ranked #16 of 64 Tours in Manuel Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a small company that loves to share nature and teach about our wildlife and natural resources. Our guides are all professional and billingual.We are proud to offer personalize service and work with our clients to make the best of their vacation. Let us know be part of your wonderfull trip to Costa Rica.
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Edgar and Paul Rock!!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I went to the National Park and could not have been happier with our experience. Paul and Edgar picked us up on time from our hotel and they were very funny and knowledgable right off the bat.

When we got outside the park Edgar went to get our tickets while Paul parked the van. Then Paul stood in the long line to get in and saved our place. As he got closer Edgar took his spot, gave us our tickets and in we went. It was brilliant!!

Inside Edgar was an excellent tour guide. He seems to know everything about the country of Costa Rica, the wildlife in the park and he's got amazing set of eyes. He spotted things in the trees and on the ground that I couldn't even see with telescope he provided!

A really cool thing he did was he took a picture with my camera of the wildlife looking through the telescope; so we have amazing pictures! He also respected my wishes that I did NOT want to see a snake and if he saw one not to tell me. I later found out that he told my husband that we walked passed one and he showed it to my husband but I had no clue. Thank goodness because I would have freaked out!!

Overall Edgar was great to be with for a couple of hours he knew a lot of info and was very funny in the process. Thanks for a great experience!

USA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great tour.”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband and I went on a guided tour with Edgar. He was great. It is amazing how he could find small, camoflauged animals from so far away. He knew a ton of information and, while he taught a lot about the animals we saw, I do wish he had volunteered more information about the history of the park and the area. But he was happy to answer questions. We also met Pablo, the other MAE guide, who was exceptionally nice. I would recommend this company for a tour of the park. After going with a rather large group, I would also recommend considering a private tour.

nj
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“manuel antonio national park”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

had a wonderful experience with this outfit. our guide, juan b., was not only extremely knowledgeable, but also very funny and personable. he knew where to look for animals, etc., and did not rush us at all. using a tour guide is definately worth it, especially if its your first visit. you will get amazing close-up pics from their telescopic lens that you wouldn't get otherwise. we also wore our bathing suits and packed a lunch so we could stay at the beach in the park after the tour. there is a beautiful beach at the park that was not crowded at all when we were there. i'd also recommend going in the a.m., as you're more likely to see the monkeys then, its not as hot, and its less likely to rain.

Purcellville, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Animal Sightings near Manuel Antonio”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My family of six adults stayed near Manuel Antonio the week of June 8, 2012. We came from Washington DC; San Francisco, CA; and Maui, Hawaii. Three of us are biologists and one is an experienced amateur photographer. We wanted to see the fauna and flora that the region had to offer. Pablo guided us through the Manuel Antonio Park and the Mangroves. He was an exceptional guide with a true passion and understanding of Costa Rica’s ecosystems and amazingly knowledgeable about the flora and fauna. But is most impressive skill were his eagle eyes to see things that we even had trouble seeing with binoculars. In the park we saw sloths (including a mother with her baby), monkeys, several varieties of iguanas, frogs, spiders, deer, raccoons, and an agouti (a large rodent) that is nocturnal and very shy. It was truly unbelievable the amount of wildlife we saw. He described their behaviors, what they ate, how they lived, and how they survive. My husband is an experienced amateur photographer and Roger made sure that there were plenty of phenomenal photo opportunities. We took over 2000 pictures. It was truly a fascinating adventure. The next day we got on a boat and Pablo guided us through the mangroves. Again we saw a wealth of diversity in animal and plant life including crocodiles, caimans, monkeys right on our boat, boa constrictors, herons, hawks, etc. But the highlight was a silky anteater, the smallest of the anteaters, which is the size of a tennis ball. How he found it high up in a tall tree, I don’t know. While we were motoring alone, he described the value of the mangroves and how critical they were to Costa Rica and the world as a vital part of the watershed. Afterward he opened his home to us where we had a lovely fish lunch made by his wife. Pablo wanted us to experience his Costa Rica and for us to share his wonder about what is around him. He absolutely succeeded and it was such a rewarding, educational, and memorable experience.

Visited June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“would go with a different company next time”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I feel like we overpaid. We did the Manuel Antonio National Park tour with pickup for $40. Our tour guide was great. The weather was so hot and we our tour price included drinks and snacks which we did not bring because we thought they were provided. Surprise, NOTHING! We were so hot and thirsty. I emailed Rachel Whittier about this and got no response. Communication was great up until we paid for our tour, then she didn't respond to any emails.
Please update your website because right now it says this:

Price of the tour: Regular $40 per person
Tour includes: transportation, entrance fees, snack, drinks and naturalist tour guide with spotting equipment.
Length of the tour: 3 hours.
What to bring: camera, binoculars, insect repellent, sun screen, light clothes, hiking shoes or TEVAS style sandals. (Bathing suit and towel if planning to stay on the beach in the Park after the tour), light poncho from May thru December.
Tour times: Morning tour start 8:30am. Afternoon tour start 1:00pm
Private: please inquire (depends on size of the group).

Visited June 2012