“Nice hotel”

Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio
Canada
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed December 14, 2010

The deluxe room we stayed in was very modern and clean. There were a few insects and one gecko that managed to get in possibly through the gap between the window in the bathroom and the wall or maybe when the room was being cleaned. The bed was very comfortable, the staff was nice and the breakfast that was included was good although the selection is not large. There is no hairdryer in the room, but one can be requested. Also, it was nice to have a selection of DVDs to borrow if you wanted to stay in. My only major complaint is that hot water in the shower was not consistent; it would sometimes get cold and it was not terribly hot.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
San Clemente, California
Reviewed December 6, 2010

The rooms, the grounds, the amenities...and without a doubt, the staff, made my stay at The Falls a memorable experience. Super clean, well-appointed rooms. The food at the new Garden Cafe is really good, from part-buffet, part full-service breakfast to the best fine dining dinners around. Artfully and tastefully prepared, and priced moderately.

My Spanish is not very good, however the kind, dedicated staff were always willing to practice with me. The open-air restaurant and bar really is in a garden, complete with monkeys,parrots and sloths right outside.

Some of the English-speaking owners live close by. They are super helpful and available. I enjoyed meeting a number of international travelers. Sleeping in this quiet environment was a treat. Overall, a completely relaxing and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Saint-Remy, France
Reviewed December 5, 2010

By far, one of the best things that ever happened to Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica is The Falls Hotel! The owners are on site. They and the staff are super friendly and helpful. We felt safe and very comfortable on the hotel property.
That being said, driving in a rental car from San José proved challenging and at times.... dangerous. We loved Costa Rica but would certainly think twice about ever going again to Manuel Antonio. To fellow travelers who choose to make the journey, we would recommend the short and inexpensive flight from Pavas Airport in the capital to the small airport in Quepos. No real need for a rental car, as public transport from the hotel to the nature park is very well organized and right out in front of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
windsorww, Owner at Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
William,
Thank you for you warm comments. I do like to use these comments as an opportunity to further assist travelers, so I will add some notes to your comments. The drive from San Jose is different depending on the weather. When there are heavy rains, there are often flooded creeks and other things that can impede your travel. This year was a bit unusual as we had the worst storms in 25 years. That being said, it is always a good idea to have a contact phone so that you can call someone in case you get stuck. If driving in new areas is a stress for you, remember that there are shuttles, and buses going to and from Manuel Antonio several times per day. Having traveled the country extensively, I think most people feel that they would have missed a great deal had they not been to Manuel Antonio. Please feel free to use our reception team as your safety net. You can reach us in country at 2777-1115. As far as airports, I agree that the 24 minute flight is a great way to go as it is like a tour itself and the planes are new and quite safe. It is important to note that there are two airports to launch from in San Jose. Typically people flying into the international airport, Juan Santamaria (SJO), prefer Sansa as their terminal is just outside and a short walk around the corner whereas Nature Air leaves from Pavas which is about 15 minutes by car or taxi which takes some extra time and money. If you are staying overnight in San Jose before coming to Quepos/Manuel Antonio you may find that Pavas is closer to the large mall (Multiplaza) and some of the better shopping (Escazu and Santa Ana). I hope this is helpful. Thanks again WIlliam.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Hats off to Oscar, Daniel and Louis who made our stay very pleasant with food, wine and my specialty request of an "Equalizer" Rooms and pool were small compared to Mountain Paradise in Arenal. Closet was huge. Safe was able to be locked but not attached to the wall and could have just walked off with it. No hairdryer in the room and had to run to the office to request one because there are no phones in the rooms which did not make me feel safe. NO privacy on the balcony/porch as it was shared with the room next door. Bed was confortable and linens were nice. Would have been nice to have a waterfall on the wall opposite the bed rather than a big leather sofa that we used to put personal items on. It would have really brought the outdoors and theme indoors. No view of the ocean as it is on the oposite side of the road.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Greatwater, Owner at Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, December 9, 2010
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us as guest comments help us to make the hotel even better. Our beds are indeed the most comfortable in the country as we personally tested dozens to make sure that each persons sleep quality would be the best. Travelers who stay in the area frequently would also be quick to tell you that our value is a strongpoint. The luxury style rooms are traditionally 20-30% better priced than others in the area. If for instance you would like to step directly across the street for ocean views expect to pay double for your room. The apartment, which now has three bedrooms and two baths has a nice ocean view from the Maser Suite. We are also just high enough up the mountain that you dont' have issues with mosquitos like locations below while also being in the middle of the areas best restaurants. Most guests LOVE our location. For future guests you may notice that the smaller Standard Suites do have private porches while the larger Deluxe Suites share a large Veranda. We get very few requests from folks for hairdryers, but we will certainly put that as a consideration to add in this years updates. We love waterfalls, but keeping them indoors in a tropical climate creates huge problems with mold, so sadly those will probably not be part of any future indoor changes. We do hope you enjoy the hand cut stone walls that were added this past year in each Deluxe Suite. Those who have returned each year will notice that the club room and restaurant have just been completely updated this past month just in time for the launch of our amazing new restaurant menu. Thank you again for your comments. Warm Regards, Richard
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed here for a few days during my recent vacation to Costa Rica. I can't say enough good things about this hotel! The grounds are beautiful, rooms are nice and clean, and location was good. But most of all, the staff are awesome! The staff create a very warm and welcoming environment, and it translates in a great camaraderie and friendliness among all the guests. Front desk was always helpful, restaurant staff couldn't have been nicer, and a maid that didn't speak english (and I don't speak spanish) even sat and talked to me for a bit. We had no idea what each other were saying, but she wanted to chat with me and I appreciated it! All of the staff that I encountered talked to me, asked me about my day and took time to get to know me, remembered my name, and even shared stories about themselves. I was traveling by myself, and it sort of felt like I was among friends.

The restaurant now serves all meals, and I highly recommend it. Very reasonably priced and great food. Free breakfast is also great, the juices are amazing. Location was pretty good. You're a reasonable walk to the beach, or you can take the bus for around 50 cents. Restaurant across the street was good, and a beautiful view. A few other places are pretty close by, but I ate most meals at the restaurant at the hotel. The garden is beautiful...I saw many different lizards, a monkey, and humming birds. And the pool is great after a long day in the park.

I will definitely stay at Falls Resort next time I'm in Manuel Antonio. I can't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank aryder
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I've lived in various place in Costa Rica as a missionary, and have spent the past 18 years exploring the country as an ongoing hobby and fascination, and in that time I've NEVER found a place as welcoming and "homey" as the Falls Resort.

It's a small boutique hotel, with very "hands on" management, to say the least! One week before our trip, Scott, the owner of the hotel, personally emailed me about the crazy rains that they were having, to give us a fair and balanced "head's up". I ended up talking to him several times in the days before the trip to check on road conditions, time delays and that sort of stuff...

...Now, I had tons of other tours and events scheduled for that week, and not a one of them even mentioned a peep of the torrential rains the area was having. (Scott told me that it rained 47 inches in a week!) Scott was extremely generous with his time and "insider knowledge" of what was actually happening with the storm system, and took a massive weight off my shoulders, since I was leading a group of business colleagues and friends.

Once we were at the hotel, Scott and most of the other members of his staff memorized the names of everyone in our party. Ever had that happen a big chain hotel or a sprawling resort? Didn't think so :)

Luis (head waiter): Super accommodating, very professional, pleasure to be around
Oscar (bartender): Million dollar smile, engaging, and great addition to the team
Head chef: Genius cook, seriously, this guy hasn't been cooking long, but wow, can he cook up a storm!
Head waitress: When a couple members of our group were leaving early to head back to the airport, she prepared them a box breakfast to take with them, very kind and funny as all get out :)

I WILL be staying at the Falls Resort again, the rooms are all freshly updated, spacious and well done, the beds are the best I've found in Manuel Antonio hotel, the prices are a steal, the restaurant is fabulous...

...But the main thing... The PEOPLE are the kind of people that you come to view as friends, and a slice of the "pura vida" lifestyle that Costa Ricans strive for!

Well done Scott and crew, what a memorable and enjoyable time being among you!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank KChristensen
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 22, 2010

My boyfriend and I have been traveling to Costa Rica for years up and down the coast and exploring this beautiful country we hope to one day call home. I discovered The Falls through Facebook by it's owner Richard Lackey and we couldn't have been more impressed. In a country where we are used to traveling through remote towns and AC is a luxury we were blown away by The Falls. Tip: Traveling in the low season will save you considerably on hotel prices, also as with most places in CR offer to pay cash versus credit to save additional money. The Falls gives you the feeling of being in a boutique hotel when you are literally in the midst of a tropical rainforest. The food is excellent and you are only 1 mile from Manuel Antonio and the beach. Scott and the rest of the staff we're extremely helpful and resourceful. We cannot wait to come back next year!

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple