“Truly Charming & Romantic Boutique Hotel”

Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Truly Charming & Romantic Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Wow, what a beautiful hotel that is tucked away in the side of the mountain. Yes, there are many hotels down this narrow road, but The Falls has the beauty on the outside and also the beauty of the people who work there. That can make or break a beautiful place. The warm and welcoming feeling you get the moment you step in to their gated doors you feel safe and right at home. My number 1. favorite has to be the employees that work there. They all seem to take pride in the jobs they are assigned. 2. Our room was the superior room, was very large and the king bed was comfortable. The maids did a beautiful job each and everyday. Always a new pet created out of towels and fresh flowers around. 3. Back to the employees, Jorge, Charlie, Lydia and Adreanna are all very special stars at The Falls. If you don't have them, you just have another run-of -the mill hotel.Thank you Tom and all above. You were always helpful and answered all our questions about the area. They make it special!! That is why they have worked there so long, they are happy and they are truly "Purda Vida". If you go down there you will see for yourself. I will be going back, I miss it already.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Surfsidesandcrab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Florida
Reviewed September 17, 2009

My husband and I just came back from a week in Costa Rica. This was the most romantic place we've ever stayed in. It was just wonderful!

We were in cabina #3, a standard room. The only difference between standard and deluxe is that you don't have a walk in closet and the bathroom is a bit larger. But to give you an idea, our shower was big enough for 2 with room left over. We think it was the best room at the resort; the farthest to the right side of the property, past the lush gardens and fountain without stairs.

Wyndham is building a resort next door so right now the prices are unbelievable = $70 per night for our standard room. We never heard any construction noise.

There's a breakfast menu and you're welcome to order whatever you'd like in addition to the breads, juices and muffins that are out. If the coffee isn't hot just let them know and they'll brew it fresh for you.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and should we come back to Manuel Antonio we know where we will stay!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beachsidegirl
san diego, CA
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This hotel is truly a deal at $80.00 a night. The rooms are very nice, the beds, comfortable and large, spacious bathrooms, and small patios overlooking the gardens. We enjoyed the nice little pool and jacuzzi. It is a short bus ride from the beach and the national park (as most of the nicer hotels are) so no complaint there. We would definitely come back here again. The breakfast got a little old - same thing every morning. Nothing really special about the breakfast. (Why is the coffee so bland in Costa Rica?? Aren't there coffee plantations up the road or something?) But otherwise, we had a lovely stay here. It felt like a boutique hotel - something I would expect to pay $200 a night for in SoCal.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarahsu
San Diego
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I stayed here with my husband and son for a few days. It was a great place to end our trip to Costa Rica. The room was huge, designed with nice french doors laced with woodworking. The best part was the beautiful veranda which we would sit out and enjoy the evenings with a drink. I very much delighted in the fact of the gorgeous landscaping and the view of the pool. Latin jazz type music would play all day long which was really really nice. The breakfast was a good also.....I would get my goodies and sit by the pool or back to the veranda.

The location of this hotel is excellent....very near the beach and wonderful eating establishments. This is truly a boutique hotel!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank anna_sandiego1
Lake Forest, CA
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Wow, where do I start? Our room, a delux, had everything we wanted. A very comfortable king bed, soft sheets, a very large walk-in closet with lots of shelves and hangers on the rod, a huge bathroom, a stocked 'frig, a TV with enough cable channels in English, a ceiling fan, an evaporative cooler AND fantastic air conditioning. Those last two are kinda important when visiting Manuel Antonio in August. The entire suite's floor was covered in saltillo tiles. The bed was made every day with new designs on top of the cover made with extra towels and hibiscus (or were they plumeria?) flowers. Very sweet. The room is elegant in its simplicity.

The grounds are true to the photos on the resort's website. Gorgeous vegetation, meanderng walkways, sweet waterfall in the middle of it all. The pool is lovely. Such a treat to come back from a day's excursion to just laze in the pool, looking out over the infinity edge into the lush foliage.

Breakfast and lunch are provided in a lovely, open area, overlooking the foliage and pool. The breakfast consists of coffee from Cafe Milagro, two kinds of juices, cereal and milk, scrambled eggs, three kinds of fruit, pinto (traditional mix of rice and black beans), and various breads and English muffins to toast and spread with butter and jams. There was also a different offering of either french toast, pancakes, banana pancakes, etc. Basically, a big offering for breakfast. For those unsure about pinto, add a bit of butter and hot sauce and enjoy! We never made it back from our activities in time for lunch, so I don't know what they offered then. We just saw them cleaning up from lunch a couple of time when we got back around 2pm.

The people who work there, however, are what make The Falls Resort exceptional. So friendly and helpful, taking the time to have enjoyable conversations with us. My husband and I have to give big cudos to three: Jorge, Johanna, and Charlie. Johanna was always so prompt in her email replies each time I had questions before we arrived, and so gracious when we spoke with her in person. Jorge and Johanna work at the front desk, although we also found Jorge behind the bar a few times. Charlie is the new bartender, Oscar having moved to Panama. Charlie has a new "special" every day which are fantastic concoctions. He and Jorge are great conversationalists, and we learned a lot about the area each day from them. They had great recommendations of restaurants and actvities, and always followed up the next day to find out if we liked where we went.

By the way, when you get ready to head out for your day's activities, you can stop by the front desk and ask for towels. Just bring them back and put them in the basket in the room facing the pool. We went through towels every day; it was wonderful not to have to pack them and bring them with us for the trip.

As for the "construction" next door, there was nothing going on the week we were there. It looked like they were either taking a break or had already finished with the terracing or "earth-moving" they had done. No big trucks were around. There is a wall at the edge of The Falls that separates them from what will be the new development next door. A couple of days there were some men working on it, but it seemed as those they were from The Falls, perhaps setting up new electrical connections or something. No big deal, and fairly quiet.

The Falls is very centrally located in Manuel Antonio. We walked to La Cantina (BBQ), El Gato Negro at Casitas Eclipse, El Avion, Napoli (pizzeria) at Los Byblos, Agua Azul, and Cafe Milagro. We only took a cab back from La Cantina (all uphill, and at night with no sidewalks, a bt much), and from one other place which I can't remember. We took the bus down to what I could call the 'main' beach just outside the park where we did our touristy shopping thing, and to the park itself. The bus is 200 colones per person each way (about 50 cents), and the cabs were about 2000 to 2500 colones per trip.

There truly was no need to drive ourselves anywhere. We flew in on Nature Air from the Pavas/San Jose airport to the Quepos airport, and arranged through Nature Travel for Iguana Tours to shuttle us to The Falls Resort. We checked out of the Falls at 11am, Johanna was happy to keep our bags in the front office while we walked around and had lunch elsewhere, and when we came back for our bags around 1:30pm, Charlie stayed and talked with us in the lounge until our shuttle arrived at 2pm.

My husband and I can heartily recommend all the restaurants I listed above. The only caveat is to not order the seafood pizza from Napoli at Los Byblos. The seafood was oily and very 'past its prime', to say the least. They didn't charge me for it. My husband's pizza of ham, pineapple, tomato and onion was fantastic. They make their pizza with a very thin, crispy crust and a fresh yummy sauce. All the other places are absolutely supreme. Look for my comments soon under those restaurants' listings in the forum section. One tip: be ready to sit back and take your time. It is considered rude for them to ask if you are ready for your check. You may have to request it a couple times, so in the meantime, just relax and enjoy the scenery and each other.

As for The Falls Resort, we definitely would like to stay there again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 27, 2009

This resort is amazing, if it isn't the lovely jungle fauna all over the property, it's the lovely waterfall in the middle of the resort that you will fall in love with. I enjoyed that the pool, while not large, didn't really close, which was a big plus to those of us who arrive late at night. All in all, I highly reccomend this resort to any visitors who want a nice quiet bungalow-style escape. We truly loved our visit to this resort and plan to visit many many times more in the future!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I would recommend this hotel to everyone. My cousins and I stayed here and it was soo clean and cozy. It is beautiful and you feel like youre staying in a jungle. The staff is AMAAAZING!!! They are sooo sweet and helpful. The location is great, the bus stop is right in front of the hotel. And its next to a nice restaraunt called El Avion which I recommend..the view is amazing! The breakfast at the Falls was kind of weird..didnt like it that much...but this hotel is soo cute that it didnt bother us..we were already over the whole rice and beans thing since this was our last place we stayed in CR. The construction didnt bother me...but it did wake up my cousins around 7am. If you stay here make sure they dont put you in the rooms next to the reception desk..we stayed in one of the 2 and it sucked because you have no view of the other rooms...and you dont get the jungle feel. The room is big and nice..but bring your repellants because there are tiny bugs. I love staying at 5 star hotels...so if youre looking for that..dont stay here. This is just a perfect place to stay in Manuel Antonio for a few nights. I loved it.

Restaurants: El Avion was OK, food good and service OK...but the place we wish we were able to go more than once but couldnt cuz we discovered it on our last day is at the GAIA Five Star Resort..called LA LUNA...it was INCREDIBLE!!!! the food was AMAZING and FRESH and by far the BEST food Ive had in Costa Rica. The price is descent..but the food is truly unbelievable. We ordered the Ceviche, Quesedilla..amazing! and the chicken club and tuna sashimi sandwiches and every meal was yummy. The desserts as well!!! We ate and played cards there for almost 5 hours..and kept ordering food...and we never wanted to leave. The view, service...the BEST. DO NOT go to Hotel Gato Negro..IT SUCKSSSS!!!! PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!! DISGUSTINGGGG!!! 4 out of the 4 meals we ordered were NASTY!

As for the beach..go to the private one. You enter it by walking through the National park and paying like 10 dollars. The beach is small and pretty..theres racoons that steal everything that has food...i didnt see any monkeys at the beach..but you find sloths and monkeys and frogs on ur walk through the park.. I do advice you to BE CAREFUL at the beach...the second we left a HUGE crocodile popped up out of nowhere close to shore..scarriest sight ever...and then it disappeared. So I warn you to be careful.

• Stayed August 2009