“my favorite part of my vacation”

Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“my favorite part of my vacation”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We came to Manuel Antonio during the second half of our 8-day vacation. The hotel that we had stayed in during the first half was a luxurious resort, so I admit that I was a little anxious when we pulled up to The Falls. To be honest, it doesn't have a lot of curb appeal. It looked very small and a little dumpy from the outside. We walked in, and I was expecting a big front desk and people to welcome us. It was just an empty lounge area, and the driver had to show us to the reception area. However, things soon improved. Once we found the reception, we were greeted warmly and instantly taken to our room. The room was so peaceful and beautiful. We instantly felt at home. The lady at reception showed us around our room, and there was a book in our room that had reviews of the different restaurants in the area, etc. It was very helpful. The grounds of the hotel were absolutely beautiful. The gardens were amazing and we felt like we were literally in the middle of the rainforest. We loved all of the different walking paths that went through the gardens. It was definitely a huge shock based on what we saw when we pulled up. We had no idea that something so beautiful was inside the plain exterior! We enjoyed watching all of the animals every morning. The restaurant there was delicious and VERY reasonably priced. Everything that I tried there I loved. Everyone that worked there was incredibly nice. It was by far the best customer service that I had while on vacation. We literally felt like we had become part of their family by the time we left. The staff there were excellent about reserving excursions for us and making dinner reservations for us. It was so "homey" there that we ended up liking The Falls much better than our luxury resort that we had stayed in before. My one complaint was that we couldn't get Wifi in our room, so we had to come sit by the pool or in the lobby to use Wifi. The location was great...we could walk to a ton of restaurants and were a short ($0.50) bus ride into town or the beach. I would hands-down stay there again the next time we go to Manuel Antonio!

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed to have beautiful views. We stayed in a deluxe room, but we noticed that th...
1 Thank Shanna G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I love this hotel. We were in a perfect location to walk to bars and restaurants and bus fare to the beach was about 61 cents one way. The bus stop was almost across the street from the property. The property does have a LOT of steps but you get used to them. I was expecting a horror show when we pulled up to the hotel based on other reviews. It wasn't as bad as I expected and once you get inside its gorgeous. The pool looks smaller than it is when you are in it. Very refreshing and relaxing and never crowded. Very beautiful grounds with lots of plants and animals. We watched a troop of monkeys eating breakfast in the apple tree in front of the hotel. It happens all the time we were told and the staff even has names for them. We stayed in room 11 and had a little bit of a view of the ocean. Wi fi is only in common areas but I was usually able to get it on our balcony or by the top of the stairs to our room. The restaurant is fantastic. This was the best food I had in Manuel Antonio we ate about half of our lunches and dinners there. Luis and Ricardo are rock stars! They make you feel so welcome you never want to leave. You feel like family by the end of your stay. All of the staff were very helpful and friendly. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the bottom floor if you don't want a lot of steps. Take a top floor if you wan...
1 Thank ERIKA C
Vacaville, California, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was the third and last stop during our 9 day vacation. We were disappointed, but content during our stay. It lacked curbed appeal, meaning that it doesnt look warm and welcoming from the street. Upon our arrival, no one greeted us, or even directed us to the reception. After our driver was kind enough to appoint us to the reception, the receptionist let us know that our rooms were not ready. This was annoying considering the fact that we had prepaid reservations that we made months in advance. We were quoted a time of 45 min until our rooms would be ready, and of course they were not done. While we waited, we were sitting on the patio by the pool. We say a bell hop walk by with our luggage. I assumed he would drop it off in our room and then would come get us to take us to our room, but no we just sat there until we decided to go to the receptionist and ask to be taken to our room. When we checked into our room, they didnt tell us about the amenities in the hotel, or things to do locally, or even give us the password to their wifi- these are all things we had to hunt someone down and ask. Once we were in our room we had some issues there as well. The ceiling fan switch for speed adjustment didnt work, there were light switches that didnt work and had parts that would fall off. The cherry on the cake was the dead flower arrangement on the desk. None of the employees seemed pleasant, or friendly. The swimming pool is very small as is there hot tub. there is no water fall, I am not sure why they are even called the falls. There was one fountain that was filthy and smelly and wasn't working.

6 Thank Jennifer H
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was a small boutique hotel with a small pool. The rooms are big and spacious, although the a/c temp. can only go to a certain temp. and then it can't be budge so it was kind of warm but it was like that in all hotels in Costa Rica. The most inconvenient part of this hotel is NO PHONE !
It was a Big deal when you needed something, you had to get dressed and walk downstairs to the office to obtain it. I would NOT stay again in a hotel with No phone in the room. The restaurant had the best food and desserts of any place we ate in Costa Rica. Average US prices, fresh fish and veggies. The free breakfast is an awesome was to start your day. The first day our shower wasn't working. It was too late to get anyone to fix it so we took a shower in the room next door. The next day t was fixed.

1 Thank teachups4
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My family of 7 had 2 rooms for 3 nights in July. This hotel was suggested by Nikki at Pura Vida eh? and I also liked the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. This place is perfect. The rooms are very attractive and are in small groups among the lush tropical foliage. The staff is great. There are several shady seating areas that look into the garden and pool. The pool is medium size with a good number of comfortable sun loungers. The infinity end has more good views of the waterfall feature and foliage. We chose to be here instead of the heat of the beach for our relaxing day. We had beverages and yummy nachos by the pool. We shared the sun with some iguanas and a troupe of monkeys came thru one morning. The breakfast buffet is included and has a great variety. We had the dinner special which was wonderful and a great low price. The desserts should not be missed. I talked to the management about one thing and got instant response. Beautiful place with great people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank slix1
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This resort was so beautiful. You should not be fooled by your drive up, the property is very nice. Rooms are very nice, big and comfortable. Breakfast is free and delicious. The staff is so kind and willing to help with anything you need. There are many restaurants with in walking distance but the restaurant on the property has great food as well. The pool area is great for kids and we saw monkey in the trees directly above the pool. One even had a baby on its back. Manuel Antonio (the beach) is a little farther of a walk, or just take the shuttle (recommended). The kids loved it. We would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank familytime8
Berkeley, California
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is physically a nice hotel,yet I have some positive and negative comments as well.

Maybe we had bad luck...

We checked in at our hotel and returned to our car (that I had locked up and double checked) to find some of our bags stolen (missing). We told the receptionist and she tried to deny it happened there. Eventually they let us look at the surveillance cameras but there are not enough cameras to cover the 15 parking spots or so. Our car was "off the grid" and did not have a camera watching it.
We had to cancel credit and debit cards as a result of the thief. Also lost video camera, cell phone, nice watch, etc.
-------------

The breakfast and dinner are pretty good quality food, but the service is lacking.

I enjoyed the breakfast that is "included" in the price of one's stay. I did not tip for breakfast on the first morning because it is "included." This led the head waiter to go out of his way to ignore me on the following 3 mornings. This was frustrating. One morning I placed my order and when the 2 women in the kitchen had finished making my food, he let it sit on the silver table in the kitchen ( I could see it from my table) for 5 minutes, getting cold and making me wait for nothing (or his revenge). He was not busy: I was 1 of only 2 tables and he simply passed the time wiping the bar with a rag and ignoring my eye contact, waves, and verbal "hellos". I finally got up to walk over to the kitchen doorway myself and then he gave me attention. I remained polite "I think that my food is ready." and he entered and delivered my cold plate. I guess he thought that making me starve while on vacation would help his future tips from me.
-------------
The pool is nice.
The hot tub is too small.
It is nice that a computer is available for guests.
It is nice to have a fridge and hammock and modern bathroom.

3 Thank J C
greatwater1, Managing Director at Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear J C,

We are so sorry that you lost some of your belongings while you were in Costa Rica. We must admit that we had a very difficult time trying to assist you as the details of the story kept changing. We welcomed you to look at the security footage and we were only able to see you returning to collect your bags after having dinner in our restaurant. We are puzzled as to the fact that your credit card company indicated that your credit card was used to purchase a cruise an hour before you arrived at our resort. For those of you reading this response, we want you to know that we take security very seriously here at The Falls Resort. We employ a full time security guard and he does patrol our parking lot in the afternoons and at night.

While we don’t have a lot of violent crime here in Costa Rica we do warn our visitors that petty theft is all too common here in the Country. 99.999% of the people here are absolutely fantastic. A small portion do create a headache for our valued tourists. We would like to take this opportunity to tell all of our future guests that we do not recommend leaving your belongings in an unattended car even for a short time. At the beach, you even have to be careful or the monkeys or raccoons can take off with your bag. If you rent a car and have a GPS, you should never leave the GPS in the vehicle.

Here is a handy tip for all of our future guests as well. We suggest that email a picture of your passport to yourself so that you will have a record of it just in case it is lost or stolen during your visit to Costa Rica. A copy will make it much easier for you to get your passport replaced at the Embassy should you have trouble.

We pride ourselves on our level of service and certainly apologize if you felt like you were being ignored. I can assure you that our waiters appreciate any tip they receive. However, they would never purposely ignore you because you didn’t leave a tip for them. If your breakfast was sitting on the silver table it was because the breakfast cook had not finished plating your breakfast and had not placed it on the serving shelf. When she is finished plating, she puts the plates on the serving shelf and rings the bell to the let the servers know that there are plates to serve. I find it hard to find fault with someone who is cleaning up our restaurant and tables after a busy morning.

We wish you the best in your future travels.

Kind Regards,
Scott
For the entire team at The Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio.