“Favorite Food in Manuel Antonio”
Review of Ronny's Place

Ronny's Place
Cuisines: Costa Rican, International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the middle of a 90 acres farm, where restaurant is the only building, you can find our Restaurante y Mirador Ronny´s Place, a beautiful "rancho" at farm´s highest mountain peak, allowing for a magnificent view of a 2 bay private beach and horizon.Our privileged location, make us the only restaurant in town where you can see the sunset 365 days a year.
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Ronny's was our favorite food of our trip. We ordered a pitcher of sangria, which was amazing and served beautifully with flowers. I can't remember what we ate (I think I had a pork tenderloin?), but we told our friends that we'd traveled with that it was our favorite food of the trip. Yes, it's all open, on a cement floor, but very comfortable chairs and tables and the view is amazing. Get there early for the sunset- we did not and ended up with a table in the very back. I will say that we saw a GIANT scorpion on the ground walking toward my foot, and then another near it. But- this does not seem to be the norm as even the servers couldn't believe it and were all standing around looking at it before shooing it away with a broom. I mean, you have to expect some insects in an open sided restaurant in the rainforest. Most importantly- drive or take a taxi. This restaurant is kind of all by itself at the top of a hill and the dirt road leading to it is not lit. We took a taxi there and back to the main road.

Reviewed May 19, 2009

Good food, GREAT view! It's a cab ride off the MA main drag, but worth it for the sunset and the Coco Loco! Stop by if you have time in MA, but get there a little early cuz the best tables are taken by sunset!

Reviewed May 17, 2009

My husband and I, along with his brother and sister in law had dinner at Ronny's on our first night in Manuel Antonio. It was my first trip, their second to this restaurant. Yes, the ride was adventuresome - we took a taxi (and waited only 10 inutes for our return taxi after dinner). My only regrets are that we just missed sunset and I was unaware of the popularity of their Sangria. It was funky and charming. Food was good. Dessert was the best - order the signature banana dessert for two after sunset and enjoy the show...
As far as the comments about bugs, bats and critters, we had dinner at Si Como No and watched two very large raccoons scurry about. Ronny's is not to be missed.

Reviewed May 11, 2009

My new husband and I ate here our second night in Manuel Antonio. Like all of the other reviewers seemed to have commented - the road is unpaved and 800 mts over an unpaved road can seem much longer. Most of the roads in Costa Rica seem to be unpaved at least in some portion so we were used to it and it wasn't any worse than any of the other roads we used during our stay.

We drove so we could leave whenever but they were more than happy to call taxis and there were quite a few taxis coming and going.

Rob ordered the hamburger as it had come recommended and I had the whole grilled snapper. His burger was everything that a beach burger should be - juicy, meaty, and perfect without any condiments. My whole snapper was a tad bit daunting at first but it was done perfectly with lots of garlic.

There was a birthday party at the two (very long tables) behind us but the service of the 40 or so people attending did nothing to affect the service for the rest of the guests.

We were served garlic bread when we were first seated. It was delicious and crunchy. We also ordered bruschetta. It was delicious. It was done differently than I have ad it before but very very tasty. To drink, we ordered a large bottle of water and a pitcher of Sangria.

The Sangria was powerful and delicious - I don't know what was in it but it was heavenly and potent.

We passed on dessert but there were a few interesting things on the menu that looked promising.

I would definitely recommend eating here.

Reviewed April 16, 2009

I'm sort of a connoisseur of dives, but this was WAY too much.

Ronny's place is more than a little off the beaten path -- it's way, way down a potholed back road off of the Quepos-to-Manuel Antonio road. Meaning: unless you drove yourself there, you will not easily be able to leave. And there's a pretty good chance you'll want to.

The place could be sort of charming -- it's an open-air restaurant on a bluff overlooking the ocean, after all. Its rustic look didn't turn me off at all. The tables are actually nice, not the plastic-chair variety that I was expecting.

The nightmare? Bugs and value.

Within a few minutes of sitting down, a beetle had fallen from the ceiling into my wife's hair. No big deal, really. But then...

Another one into my son's ear. One on my shoulder. Then on my plate. Then on my son's plate. Et cetera. Not small beetles, either. Big, nasty-looking critters that turned our collective stomachs. When the obligatory feral cat came wandering through, it somehow didn't seem as cute as it normally does.

We would have gotten up and left, if there had been a way out of there.

The food, when it showed up from the imperious staff, was slightly above average, but nothing to write home about, and no bargain. I had a "surf and turf," which was a fairly decent (if tiny) tuna steak in a nice mustardy sauce, along with a lousy hunk of tenderloin in a barely edible mushroom concoction. My wife had an indifferent chicken brochette. One of my sons, who is a bit of a snapper expert, loved his whole snapper. The other boys had mediocre meals.

My surf and turn (and remember: not the lobster variety) was 10,000 colones, or roughly US$18. My nine-year-old's hamburger was the five-dollar variety. Like I said: no bargain.

We didn't stay for dessert, out of fear that we'd end up with beetle souffle, so I can't vouch for it.

Stay away from this awful place.