“Great surfing experience!”

Manuel Antonio Surf School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Surfing - Live It! Learn It! Love It!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Carlos was excellent!! My husband had some previous surf experience but I was brand new to surfing but really nervous about the whole experience. Carlos really took his time with me and showed me all of the basics. Once we got out into the waves it was really intimidating but with Carlos' help I got up on the board! He had endless patience and it made my first surfing experience an excellent one. My husband also was able to learn some new things and had a great time as well. We highly recommend MASS and especially Carlos!

CostaRicaAventuras, Public Relations Manager at Manuel Antonio Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

We are a bit late in offering a heartfelt "thank you" for taking the time to share you experience surfing with MASS. THANK YOU for the accolades, they have made us (and Carlos) smile. He loves what he does and it shows in the reactions from students like you. Sounds like he calmed your nerves and helped you reach the level of confidence that prompted success! The waves around here can get intimidating, especially for a first-time surfer, but this is why we stay with you every step of the way. And you did it! We are glad that your hubby was also challenged enough as an experienced surfer to learn more things from us, this is really great to hear. MASS excels with Beginners but we have things to offer for the Intermediate and Experienced surfers as well! We wish you many safe, happy travels and always PURA VIDA!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Carlos was great- we stopped by on the beach, and on the spur of the moment, decided to try surfing. He got me standing on my surfboard on my first attempt! We were also able to store our stuff in his car, and then also kindly gave us water to rinse off with afterwards.
Very knowledgeable, and told us that it was a good time for beginners then, and in the next morning, but the next afternoon would be hard. We stopped by the next afternoon; the waves were huge, and the surfers were struggling a lot. I recommend these guys!
It was $30 each/1 hour lesson, then $10 or $20 for the board after that (depending upon what type of board you got)

1  Thank Kattie101

Thank you, Kattie, for your review and for sharing the waves with MASS! We love spontaneous students and you guys were a great teaching experience for Carlos. We do take safety and precaution very seriously, and we do watch the tides. Carlos advised you correctly instead of throwing Beginners into the surf, which can be outright dangerous during the wrong times...this is not what we are about here at MASS. We would never endanger any of our students for the sake of selling lessons. Thank you for including this detail in your review. Much appreciated. Safety and fun, and a lifetime of memories, that makes what we do for travelers so rewarding for us. We wish you many happy, safe travels and keep surfing when/where you can! Hopefully, back in Costa Rica! PURA VIDA!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Everyone of these surf instructors were very supportive, and fun to surf with. I loved the island that we went to! The waves were great. One of the best experiences I've ever had, and I love that we all lived in the moment. I will definately surf there again someday! PURA VIDA!!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I am not sure what happened with the few people who describe a negative experience. I was in awe of the attentiveness and gentleness of this group. I am sad to say I do not remember everyone's name, but my son and daughter were taught by such amazing people that even while my children were on break and I could see they had gone too far and got caught in a rip tide, my son and daughter's instructors were making a beeline (I mean RUNNING) to them to get them out of the water. They ran like they were their children.

Even after that experience, my son got back in the water. Furthermore, they were respectful enough to let them call it a day when they wanted to as well. I have incredibly high standards and they met mine and made my kids still want to continue learning to surf.

1  Thank AddSimO
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Leonel Nelson was our instructor and although the weather was turning bad, we had a great time! The staff was very polite, gracious, and silly. Nelson made us laugh and was an excellent instructor. My brother and I had such a good time. It was my first time to surf and I will never forget it. Thanks MASS!

CostaRicaAventuras, Manager at Manuel Antonio Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, Worldly84! It's fantastic to know that even though the weather turned a bit quirky, you guys still had an awesome time and a memorable experience! What's a little rain when you are already wet and rolling with the waves. Nelson had a great time being your instructor! Many happy, safe travels to you and PURA VIDA from all of us here at MASS!