“GREAT Surf School, Great Guys, Great Surf!!!”

Manuel Antonio Surf School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Surfing - Live It! Learn It! Love It!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We met Luis on our first day in Manuel Antonio. We were lost & looking for directions. We ended up renting boards for our entire visit, getting a surf trip to an AWESOME secret spot with beautiful head + clean surf and no one around for miles.

We were also able to paddle out into gentle waves that were perfect for the kids & first-time surfers.

We spent a lot of time with Luis and the crew and we'd recommend MASS to anyone considering surfing in Manuel Antonio!!!

-Mike

1  Thank Mike L
CostaRicaAventuras, Public Relations Manager at Manuel Antonio Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Mike, THANK YOU for your fantastic review. Glad you got "lost" and found us on your 1st day! It was a pleasure to take you to our special spot and to know how much you enjoyed your time here with us. On behalf of Luis and our entire crew, PURA VIDA, many happy, safe travels, and we hope to share our incredible waves with you again in the future!

There are newer reviews for Manuel Antonio Surf School

Reviewed February 21, 2013

It last 2 hours theory ... easy cake

Practice.. you need at less a little level of athletic skills reflects...
Do not smoke before doing it! Even better Do not smoke never !! Lol
I had a cigar before the activity since I was celebrating that I got engaged. .. I regret the 2 hours I was exhaling the cigar , and of course with the taste on each breath. ..
There were 2 instructors Laura and Charly they both were very good and kind but because I'm a big guy it was difficult for Laura to push me into the waves and I had to line up with Charly and wait longer ...
Good experience !

CostaRicaAventuras, Public Relations Manager at Manuel Antonio Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write your review! We forgive the cigar smoking due to the celebratory occasion:) Surfing is challenging and a great fitness, endurance sport. You are right, practice practice. It's what we hope our students do after their time with us. We are here to get you started and confident enough to know you CAN do it. You did it! The waves we pick for Beginners are safe enough to learn in but say the word and we take you to bigger ones;) We should have assigned Charly to you from the beginning, so we apologize but Laura, she is tough. Hope you had a great time and congratulations on your engagement! Pura vida and many happy, safe travels to you.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and 2 kids went surfing with MASS. They were on time very professional,and provided us with a great day . You go to a secluded beach with knowledgeable instructors . My kids have surfed before and the instructors were so warm and friendly. We wer ther for 2 to 3 hours. Te jeep got stuck in the sand and my mother and I tagged along and Luis, the owner took it all in stride. Pineapple and water were provided. I would recommend this operation whole heartedly.

1  Thank cabocathy1

Thank you, Cabocathy1, for bringing your family to surf with MASS and for taking the time to leave a great review of your experience! To know that we gave you guys a great day and fond memory of your vacation is rewarding for us. Apologies for getting "stuck in the sand" with the Jeep...rough beach life:) You guys were good sports about it, much appreciated. We have to take it in stride or else we would get stuck even more! Pura Vida and many happy, safe travels to you and your family.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was the second part of our Costa Rican vacation. The deal was my darling wife wanted to go surfing on Christmas Eve and I would only do it if she went zip lining.

Well a deal is a deal and here we are with Oscar picking us up from the Hotel Gaia and on our way to the beach.

The training session and safety brief was excellent and I did like my surfboard that was drawn in the sand well within my comfort zone. After all I had never been surfing before.

But then came the real deal out in the water and with surf so high that it looked like we were going to be hit by a giant tsunami. OK I am exaggerating it was maybe 4ft but big.

My instructor, bless him, was so patient with me and really great. If it was me teaching me I would have held my head underwater for at least 20mins or until the thrashing stopped.

Every time I got up on the board within a millisecond I dove head first into the abyss. God how I missed my sand shaped surfboard.

But one attempt was made and I actually surfed approx. 6ft which was fantastic as the board was about 8ft. My instructor and I whooped and hollered as if we had just won gold at the Olympics.

My darling wife of course was very good for her first time but enough said about that. And she quite liked her instructor Brian.

1  Thank edodowd

Although much belated, THANK YOU for your fantastic review! And for your submitted pics! You and your wife were a blast to instruct and to surf with, and it was a pleasure to be part of your adventure. 4ft waves can seem high to those who never surfed, you rocked them and well beyond your beloved "sand surfboard". Our patience and your perseverance = you got up and surfed a biggie! Pura Vida and many happy, safe travels to the two of you...and hopefully, happy returns to our waves!

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Awesome time with the guys from MASS. Safety is stressed and our kids got one on one instruction to make sure they were always in a safe position. Oscar picked us up from our hotel and drove us to the beach. Spent 20 min stretching and learning technique and then off to the water. Everyone picked it up pretty quickly and received advice and encouragement along the way. Took about a 30 min break where Alejandro took my kids and I to find the water ice vendor. (Another highlight) back to the water. Brian taught my son a couple tricks that got him hooked.
It was cool to see a group of guys so engaged and happy in what they were doing. Genuine smiles and true Pura Vida. Take these lessons so the guys can upgrade the 4 runner.

We are late in extending our "thank you" for your great review. It was a blast to surf with you and your family. We do stress safety and fun, especially with kids, which is why we extend one-on-one instruction for them. We do genuinely love what we do so it is truly nice to read that you saw this enthusiasm and passion during your lesson and time with us. Good news...and hopefully you will be back to ride in it...we did get a Jeep to transport guests to even more surf spots! PURA VIDA and many happy, safe travels to you and your family.