“Best place on Mother Earth.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mal Pais
Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I can't say enough about this place. I've been back year after year and it only gets better. Surf camp is by far the place I want to be any time I can get away.
The food, the location the people.... You could search the planet till the end of your days and not luck into a place that's better.
Respect!

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I've been to surf camp a few times now and fall in love with the area more each time I go. The surfing is great with consistently good conditions for everyone from beginners to advanced and you can choose from a large variety of boards to take out for the day.

The camp itself is nestled in the rainforest and a great place to relax while you aren't surfing. The food at camp is excellent and the staff are friendly, helpful, and great at giving surf lessons. The atmosphere is super laid back and I can't imagine a better spot to get away from it all!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I spent three weeks at the mal pais surf camp. The combination of a great atmosphere, great people, awesome location made for an unforgettable two weeks. The location was perfect for me, quiet and nestles away from the noise of town but close enough to walk in for food or drinks. With the great food they have at the camp you wont find yourself wanting to leave very often! The pool was so nice after hours in the ocean. The staff at the surf camp is extremely helpful and caring for you while you're there and will do anything they can to make your visit what you want it to be. The moments you'll have at the mal pais surf camp will be unforgettable. Having to leave will be the toughest part of your trip. I cannot wait until I'm able to return!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I have been going to the Surf Camp together for several years, and we both really enjoy the relaxing, laid back, peaceful atmosphere. This is a mellow place, not a place to stay if you are looking for a party atmosphere. It is an ideal place to go if you are looking to get away from it all, and just enjoy the beautiful beaches and surroundings. Great wave a short walk from the camp, on a nice sandy beach. The camp has a nice pool, and well kept property/grounds. The restaurant is great - Breakfast is always a treat - banana shakes, pancakes, and fresh fruit and granola! Dinners are always good - nice portions, daily specials. We have stayed in the cabinas and the houses, and they are comfortable and spacious. Doug, Elise and H are great hosts, and have made our repeat visits that much better. Looking forward to our next trip to Mal Pais!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2013

and always a total blast!! I've been 4 times now and have never had a bad trip. I went down there solo the past two trips and stayed in the shared ranchos for $15/night. The ranchos are open air, so you're somewhat in the elements..which has never been an issue. Bugs never were a problem. You can hear the surf at night and it stays pretty cool in the room especially in the evenings. Days are a little warmer, but with the sea breeze and fans it's not bad! They have added secure safes in the rooms now which is a big plus since theft can be an issue in Costa Rica...Always fun waves out front (5-10min walk) and cool people to hang out with. Food is great, pool is awesome, restaurant/bar/hang out is perfect for chilling out and enjoying the free WIFI. The folks who run the camp(Douglas, H, Elise) are awesome and want their guests to enjoy themselves! They'll welcome you like family. I'm going back again soon...If you want to surf your brains out and not worry about driving all over the country trying to find the perfect wave this is the place(and having traveled the coast-Mal Pais/Santa Teresa are some of the best and most consistent waves you'll find)...If you're looking for a romantic getaway with the wife you ought to shell out a few bucks for the nicer rooms or look at more luxury places.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Our stay was in 2011, but I thought I'd leave my feedback even though it has been a long time... I've got Costa Rica on my mind

Myself and a few friends stayed here for 8 nights and it was wonderful. Two of us stayed in a cabina and our other friend stayed in the rancho. The cabina was small, but it was all we needed. They offer a room with a double bed or you can take a room with bunk beds. There is no AC but they offer a fan. I think there may be rooms that offer AC for an additional cost if you want it. The rancho is an open-air hut with four beds (hostel style option). The rancho offered large lockers, unlike the cabina. However, the owner allowed us to leave our valuables with him and he kept them locked in a safe in his office for us. We had no problems using that as our option for security. We just carried what we needed for the next few days and got with him once we needed more cash, etc. Both the cabinas we stayed in and the ranchos share outhouse style bathrooms which I thought was nice because it gives you the feeling of showering outdoors without actually being seen by anyone.
The property is amazing, maybe even the best piece of land in the area. It has a beautiful pool, and a fully equipped recreation area with a pool table, ping pong table, indo board, swing, and lounging area. There was wifi but the signal strength was so-so. There is a big screen tv set up with cable and a selection of surf dvd's for visitors to enjoy. There is a bar and kitchen where the staff will whip you up great meals. Make sure you try a banana shake with cocoa. It was a great place to meet fellow travelers and share travel stories. Surf lessons are offered through the surf camp as well as board rentals. The staff was very nice and the owner has lived in the area for a very long time. He tends to mind himself, but is happy to talk with you and tell you anything you need to know if you just ask. If you're lucky you may even get a little surf session in with him.
The property is a short walk from the center of town, and an even shorter walk to a beautiful beach with great waves. You will see some wild animals on the property, and the resident dogs Roja and Alf are fun and friendly.
When we first arrived we heard that some guests had an issue with a break in to their room, but we chose to play it safe, taking managements advice for how to stay safe and we had no problems. However, if you are at all worried I hear that as of mid-2012 the owner has installed safes in all the rooms so now you should have NO WORRIES! Also I would imagine that the communal kitchen he was constructing at the time is now open for guests to use as an option to save a little money on food.

All in all, we were very happy with our stay and have recommended Mal Pais Surf Camp to all of our friends and family. Thank you guys, we'll be back!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Wonderful, off the dirt road, great Pool! Quiet! short walk across st to the beach, very close to all the rest. in center of town! We rented the 1st floor of house! Fantastic with full kitchen bedrooms with air conditioning! Very safe, friendly. Great selections of surfboards, lessons daily if you want them. All types of rooms available indoor/open/camp sites/house rentals/bungalows etc. Lots of amenities and honor system at the bar! The Monkeys love it hear too!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
#3 of 8 in Mal Pais
Blue Jay Lodge
Blue Jay Lodge
#6 of 8 in Mal Pais

Been to Mal Pais Surf Camp & Resort? Share your experiences!