“We loved it.”
Review of Hotel The Place

Hotel The Place
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The location, the friendly helpful staff, the food, Yvonne our host, the beds, the pool, the mojitos everything was really, really great. We were very happy with our stay and hope to return some day.
Ryan

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed December 29, 2013

What a great spot! Nice and quiet and just a touch away from the hub bub of Main Street. Easy walking distance to restaurants and beach. I stayed in one of the little villas overlooking the pool with which easily accommodated three adults and my daughter stayed in one of the basic rooms. Both were very nice and comfortable with easy access to the pool. Restaurant is very good, a little pricey but great selection. A very nice menu selection for the included breakfast was very good, much better than most included breakfasts (recommend the breakfast burrito to keep you satisfied until supper time). Staff was very accommodating and friendly making our stay a wonderful part of our Costa Rican adventure.

Room Tip: All of the rooms appeared to be nice. I loved our little villa but could use a little more path ligh...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank darcitalk
Reviewed November 14, 2013

A beautiful property, with a handful of bungalows laid out on the hill ensuring privacy. Each bungalow is decorated uniquely and all our stunning. The place has a great pool area, serves amazing breakfasts, plays some decent tunes and is run very efficiently by Yvonne and Chris and their small team of passionate staff.

A great location just minutes walk from the restaurants and five minutes from the surf.

I rarely write reviews on trip advisor unless something is exceptional and the place truly is exceptional

Room Tip: Splash out extra on a bungalow you will not be disappointed
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MD888888
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Such an inviting place! We stayed at a very nice bungalow.. We chose the African styled room. Super clean and beautiful property with breakfast included. So relaxing, we didn't want to leave! We were a five minute walking distance to the center of town. Safe and secured parking. Clean pool and beautiful lounge area.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank CindyMaui
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I loved how conveniently located "The Place" is. I did not rent a car but wherever I wanted to go the staff was very gracious to help me. Speaking of the staff Frank and Graciella were so very nice and pleasant. If I wanted to hang out and chat they where there and if I just wanted quiet time to myself they left me alone. They both were quite helpful in any excursions or advetures I was into. They made it very painless and hassle free. Breakfast options are delicious and the sunsets are beautiful by the pool. I also loved the fact that my bungalow was my home for a week. Very nice and clean. There were a few of the red ants at night but I don't think one can do much about that. Ants always have a way and then they go away. I would highly recommend if one is looking for a truly relaxing vacation. Mal Pais is awesome.

Room Tip: get a bungalow
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Long story short - "The Place" does not live up to its name or its website. We stayed in The Villa & it was anything but luxurious. Baby ticks, crabs, and lizards to name a few of the fun encounters. It rained the first night and the entire living room area was flooded. It is a shame because it has wonderful potential. The owner is not even present to properly run and oversee the operations. We were very disappointed all around and found another hotel for the remainder of our visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank 410girl
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hotel the Place is a perfect stop in Mal Pais. The decor is comfortable and hip. The pool is beautiful and the staff is so sweet. The standard room was just perfect for us and we felt so safe. Breakfast and coffee every morning in the coolest open air surroundings was exceptional. The hotel is just a short walk from the town and beaches. This is definitely a place that we will return to for years to come. The coolest home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
#7 of 8 in Mal Pais
Hotel Tropico Latino
Hotel Tropico Latino
#2 of 27 in Santa Teresa

Been to Hotel The Place? Share your experiences!